Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:31 am

RichardJ wrote:
I myself have always liked the big toolbar browsers like IE 8 and Firefox 10 so I will be shedding a tear.

This one's either a brick house or a shooting gallery regarding security but I'm sure you'll appreciate the interface. I was surprised it's still alive when I looked it up again a few days ago - I discovered it circa Firefox 2.0 beta!
Avant Browser

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2015, 5:57 am

Not like I care about IE, I've stopped using it 10 years ago and switched to Mozilla Firefox, and recently I've also been using Chrome, but Firefox is still my favorite.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 3:12 pm

Good riddance..

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

I hate to disappoint you guys.
Microsoft has already announced IE 11 for Windows 10, due to demand from businesses.
It will exist alongside SPARTAN.

Many major corporations and businesses aren't ready to overhaul their sites and internal apps to run on non IE browsers.
This is due to costs and backwards compatibility with older versions of Windows.

Also IE still holds the majority of the global browser share at ~60%+

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:38 am

xenocity wrote:
Microsoft has already announced IE 11 for Windows 10, due to demand from businesses.

Many major corporations and businesses aren't ready to overhaul their sites and internal apps to run on non IE browsers.
This is due to costs and backwards compatibility with older versions of Windows.

I still see Win XP on PCs everywhere I go, I'm amazed @ how cheap these doctors, dentists, business people are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:53 am

Just watch, Project Spartan will basically become the new browser everyone hates, and since they'll still be including IE11 for legacy stuff, ignorant users who don't use other browsers are probably going to keep using it, long after it stops receiving support.

Speaking of which, I was helping my landlord with his computer earlier on, and he still uses IE 9, on Vista Basic, no less. I'm going to help him upgrade to a better OS tomorrow, and maybe show him the benefits of an alternative browser.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:39 am

Been using Firefox and prefer it, as IE was not very good.

But the tear I'll shed is merely one of nostalgia, as it was the first browser I ever used when I first got on a computer at the local library, back in something like 1998. As an adult whose generation missed out on school computer usage, I was a total newbie to the internet and IE was my browser for the first few years.

I don't miss it but "thank you and goodnight," for easing me into the world wide web, lol.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 11:43 am

slave wrote:
xenocity wrote:

I still see Win XP on PCs everywhere I go, I'm amazed @ how cheap these doctors, dentists, business people are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's more due to Windows XP being fully compatible with Windows 9x software.

Windows Vista and up aren't natively compatible with Windows 9x software, thus forcing emulation for a lot of it.
Many of the programs businesses use aren't compatible with the Windows Vista and up (they all run on the Windows 6.x kernel).

They won't upgrade until their forced too, which probably occur with Windows 10 or 11.
It could cost businesses billions to port and optimize their applications and software to any Windows running the 6.x kernel.

It's just that much cheaper to continue to use Windows XP 32-bit.

As long as Microsoft doesn't revert back to their old tactics, SPARTAN won't have near the toxic branding as IE.
Though IE 11 will remain a separate browser from SPARTAN, due to legacy issues.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm

I'd almost forgotten it existed. I never liked it. But it's nice to have it there as an emergency backup browser in case Firefox ever goes horribly wrong.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 9:01 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'd almost forgotten it existed. I never liked it. But it's nice to have it there as an emergency backup browser in case Firefox ever goes horribly wrong.

Do you have Firefox 36 installed?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

xenocity wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I've got 35 on this laptop, I tried 36 but it broke Video Download Helper 4.9 and I didn't like 5.0. Why do you ask?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
xenocity wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I've got 35 on this laptop, I tried 36 but it broke Video Download Helper 4.9 and I didn't like 5.0. Why do you ask?

Firefox 36 is bug ridden to the core... that's why I went back to Safari.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm

xenocity wrote:
Firefox 36 is bug ridden to the core... that's why I went back to Safari.

Hope 37 is better. I've messed with 36 but the only bad thing I noticed was that it broke Video Download Helper. That was enough to make me roll back to 35. They eventually upgraded VDH to cope with 36, and it seems to work, but I hate change so I rolled back to 35 and I'm happy enough with it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

Mozilla Firefox v37.0.1 is the current download version.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 5:10 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

Did it actually fix stuff?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 5:20 pm

xenocity wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Did it actually fix stuff?

I dunno. I amn't a code head. No noticeable difference in my opinion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)