I have a learning disability that makes Math harder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

Apparently I have a learning disability. I'm diagnosed with a few and I just figured that out yesterday! One of them is Math related, or maybe specifically math like Algebra. Of course, I have issues with my Algebra teacher, who I meantioned in a few different posts just yells at me when I get problems wrong, and even told me I was stupid (well she just HINTED it. She said she couldn't possibly understand why I'm so bad at this) I don't know exactly what learning disabilities I have, but I know one is Math related and one is related with words (switches letters with other letters, annoying stuff like that) I have NO idea what to do, really. I mean if I have learning disabilities shouldn't my teachers me a little nicer about when I mess up?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
Apparently I have a learning disability. I'm diagnosed with a few and I just figured that out yesterday! One of them is Math related, or maybe specifically math like Algebra. Of course, I have issues with my Algebra teacher, who I meantioned in a few different posts just yells at me when I get problems wrong, and even told me I was stupid (well she just HINTED it. She said she couldn't possibly understand why I'm so bad at this) I don't know exactly what learning disabilities I have, but I know one is Math related and one is related with words (switches letters with other letters, annoying stuff like that) I have NO idea what to do, really. I mean if I have learning disabilities shouldn't my teachers me a little nicer about when I mess up?

You teacher has no business teaching anybody anything. Teachers are morally obliged to be patient with their students and honest in their testing.

ruveyn

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

I am a university teacher, and frankly yelling at students / pupils becuase they can not grasp something idea or fact is clearly out of order.

If you want to irk the teacher ask them about their views on the Eastbourne manslaughter case where a teacher beat a boy to death with a candle stick for his failure to learn. I am sure that the teacher will be horrified at the Eastbourne case.

Also ask if they see if yelling at people who fail to be able to learn is a behaviour which is similar to that of Hopley's conduct. You might want to write a letter to social services and the headmaster to see if you can get the teacher reprimanded / removed by this route. If you try this route and fail the techer will be mad as hell so be careful !

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 1:46 am

I think a lot of math problems are caused by bad teaching. I learned more about math after I took the courses than during them...;)

barnett
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2015, 5:56 am

Many children feel difficult to deal with Math but it is not necessary that they are suffering from a Learning Disability.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 10:42 am

pakled wrote:
I think a lot of math problems are caused by bad teaching. I learned more about math after I took the courses than during them...;)

I agree. I never had any problem with math that wasn't teacher-induced.

I am now dealing with the same thing with my son--I have to send notes to the school because his quizzes and tests are being marked incorrectly by a ridiculous teacher. She can't get basic grammar right on her homework sheets and quizes, but faults him for not explaining his answers in the way she would like when he has given the right answer and shown that he understands the math inside and out. It's infuriating.

Edited to add, hopefully helpfully:

The problem you are having with transposed letters, etc. sounds like dyslexia and there are a lot of resources for people with dyslexia to help work around those issues. Maybe you can help yourself by looking into those materials and perhaps also make them available to your ineffective and abusive teacher.

Additional edit:

For the teacher (also info for you-lots of other info at that site):
http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/professio ... athematics
http://www.dyscalculia.org/
http://homeschoolingwithdyslexia.com/dy ... ring-math/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm

The problem you are having with transposed letters, etc. sounds like dyslexia and there are a lot of resources for people with dyslexia to help work around those issues. Maybe you can help yourself by looking into those materials and perhaps also make them available to your ineffective and abusive teacher.

Additional edit:

For the teacher (also info for you-lots of other info at that site):
http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/professio ... athematics
http://www.dyscalculia.org/
http://homeschoolingwithdyslexia.com/dy ... ring-math/[/quote]

Nice gesture, but the OP started this thread three years ago.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

Dang! Failed to notice the necrobump.

Looks like his last visit to WP was three years ago.

Why re-animate this thread? Why?