Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:59 pm

I understand AA and regular batteries buy some for say your Gameboy/remote and off you go throw away the old one. but how do laptop batteries work? I know the price U.S. (for me) around $50. but how do they work? Oh no this battery is about to die! (put in new one easily?) then how do I charge the one I took out? That's the confusing part for me. :-) Can some explain laptop batteries to me? I know my laptop is only a good 3hr. working unit so I'll probably need to buy a battery for it.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm

There are several issue here, but first, the make and model of your laptop would help ID what type and model of batter it has. All laptops (that I've worked with) have batteries either in a compartment you can open or they just unlatch from the body of the laptop. Replacement is easy.

If you have more than one battery, the standard way to charge them is to put one in the laptop. Plug in the laptop (it will go into charging mode) and when that battery is fully charged, you can remove it and put in the other one and charge it as well.

How much time you get from a battery largely depends on its size/capacity and what power management settings you have listed when your laptop is running on battery power. 3 hours is on the short side, but on many laptops, it would be normal on a brand new battery depending on what you are doing with the laptop.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 7:31 am

Thank You that makes since. :-)