Go LED/LCD! 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Any LCD should do fine... 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Oh look, SHEEP! I mean DEATHCLAWS! AAARRRRGGGG!! !! My ribcage! 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:08 pm

Recently, I’ve surrendered to the idea that I need to give up my old analog TV and enter the 21st century!

I don’t have cable and I plan to use the TV as a monitor for my desktop (gaming) computer as well.

Hence, the TV will be mainly used for playing games, watching internet video (Netflix, etc.), and watching DVD/Blueray movies.

I’m planning to spend about $700.00. In that price range I can get a decent LG—32” 2.4 ms response, 120 Hz refresh, 1080p, LED/LCD OR I can get a Panasonic 42” plasma 1080p, 600hz refresh…

I’m leaning heavily toward the Panasonic plasma; it just seems to be so much more bang for the buck!

So, am I missing something? Should I go plasma, LED/LCD or something else?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:09 pm

Get an LED lit LCD, those are very thin and slick, though it *may* be hard to find one within your budget.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:15 pm

After much comparison shopping and reading online reviews to see what products had the worst rates of defects and returns, I went with the Sony Bravia (LCD). I spent hours in stores visually comparing picture quality, contrast sharpness, color resolution, and pixellation and high speed skitter. The Sonys were all far and away superior to every other brand I looked at, with the LGs coming a close second in performance, and sometimes a few dollars better pricewise.

You can certainly go a little cheaper, but I didn't find any better dollar for dollar value overall. That said, this model is not a full 1080, more like 785 or something, but even with a Blu Ray onscreen and my glasses on, that's a difference I can't make out. The literature seems to indicate that 785 is its standard reception rate, but that it does reproduce 1080, which would mean DvDs and HD cable channels would show up the way they're intended - I don't know if that makes sense technologically, maybe it just translates oddly from the Japanese. :?

Its got plenty of features, you can run your computer through it, even as a picture-in-picture, so you can surf or game and watch teevee at the same time. The screen border is a nice flat matte black, not that shiny distracting reflective gloss that's become the common standard. And if you want to shoot the works, its fully integratable with a whole set of Sony peripherals, like Blu Ray players, Surround Sound Systems and so on.

Anyhow, I had already decided that was the one out of everything I'd been looking at, when both WalMart and Best Buy put it on sale last Christmas season, so I've been using it since then and have no complaints so far - its performed every bit as well as I could have hoped. OTOH, I'm not a gamer, so you may have different requirements and expectations. End of commercial. :wink:

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

I'm going to second Willard's opinion even thouhg I'm still using CRTs personally. Every time I walk into walmart or something I prefer the quality of the Sony displays. I would not buy a plasma. Last I checked they burned in worse among other things.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:29 pm

I’m a big Sony fan; unfortunately they don’t seem to be well represented over at Amazon. Whatever I get is gonna come from Amazon so I can evade sales taxes (a 10% discount for me).

I can’t believe there’s no love for the plasma TVs so far! From what I understand, burn in is not an issue with current generation plasma TV and for gaming they have the advantage of virtually no motion blur and therefore no ‘game lag’ either.

Motion blur and game lag are my main concerns with picking a new TV. Maybe I’m making too big a fuss, but I’d be interested to hear from gamers who have experience with 60 Hz and 120 Hz LCDs and current generation plasmas.

The worst issue I’ve come across regarding plasmas is the problem of ‘rising black’ where blacks lighten over time. This is not an issue for me as black on a plasma should still be much darker than on a normal LCD…

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:40 pm

Back when gamers were converting to LCDs I remember 16ms latency was GOOD and gamers were obsessing over getting that or less nowadays there is no shortage of low latency monitors so no ghosting problems.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2010, 6:17 pm

I'm generally not a fan of Sharp but their Aquos line looks pretty good. I also like the picture on the Samsungs.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

here i roam, said the dinosaur......i use a 34 inch 1080i sony xbr TUBE set and love it. dvd's play in 480p and look great. blue ray's play in 1080i and look better than anything i've seen in any lcd set and most plasmas other than the pioneer pro series that start at about 5 grand. local hi-def looks stunning.

if you could find a used one, that would be my choice, cause sony stopped making them. and you'll need some friends, it weights about 200 lbs.

roooooaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr cried the brontosaurus.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:11 am

Heh.... If I could get a tube based HDTV I definitely would!! !!

Since I can't and I don't have $5K for the pioneer, I guess I'll settle for the Panasonic plasma....

I'm gonna go check some out at Best Buy anyways. I'm in no hurry. I'll probably wait 'til cyber monday to buy--at a deep holiday discount! :twisted:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

anything over 30" or so a i would go with a plasma (at that sises they are cheaper) below 30" go with an LCD. one thing you should know about LCD's is that the back lighting in them has a tendency to quit after around 3 years, and as far as i know that can't be fixed. Plasmas on the other hand will last much much longer but will get dimer as they age.

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

Actually I just wrote a blog post on how different computer monitors affect those on the Autism Spectrum

http://www.aspieweb.net/computer-screen ... rs-autism/

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:09 pm

Titangeek wrote:
anything over 30" or so a i would go with a plasma (at that sises they are cheaper) below 30" go with an LCD. one thing you should know about LCD's is that the back lighting in them has a tendency to quit after around 3 years, and as far as i know that can't be fixed. Plasmas on the other hand will last much much longer but will get dimer as they age.

Yeah, I really like the plasmas... The only problem is, this WILL be a computer monitor and even if I'm just running media center most of the time, I'm afraid there might be enough static elements on screen to cause burn in eventually...

As stated before, most reviews say burn in is not a problem any more, but there's a huge difference between TV duty and computer monitor duty... even if the computer is only part of a home theater/gaming setup.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:12 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

Yeah, I really like the plasmas... The only problem is, this WILL be a computer monitor and even if I'm just running media center most of the time, I'm afraid there might be enough static elements on screen to cause burn in eventually...

As stated before, most reviews say burn in is not a problem any more, but there's a huge difference between TV duty and computer monitor duty... even if the computer is only part of a home theater/gaming setup.

From what i have read it takes several hours (with a name brand plasma not a no name plasma) for burn in too set in.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:44 pm

Titangeek wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

From what i have read it takes several hours (with a name brand plasma not a no name plasma) for burn in too set in.

Yeah, the Panasonic plasmas get great press over at avsforums and those guys are not easy to please!! ! :lol:

Also, the panny plasmas have plenty of good reviews at best buy and amazon too. The plasma is really tempting, and the truth is, with school, work and real life, I don't get a lot of TV or gaming time...

If the 42" panasonic plasma drops below $600.00 by cyber monday I'll probably get one. :oops:

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

I have been shopping for furnishings for a new house. I decided to get a 42" plasma TV for the living room as I will only use it for movies when I have friends over. My basement is where my XBox 360 and computer will be so my 26" LCD will be.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:42 am

I was looking at TVs and picked out an LCD. I didn't even know the differences between LCD and plasma.