Tell me if I need active noise cancelling headphones

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

Anyone out there with sound tech as a special interest? I currently use ear buds (US $20)and an MP3 player (US $50) to mask sounds and try to de-stress with ambient or trance music, like after work when riding the bus home :x , or just around the house (especially but not only when the neighbor is playing their music too loud and I'm freaking over the base coming into my apartment :cry: ).

Someone told me to spend the bucks to get active noise cancelling headphones or earbuds, because I'd get a lot more masking of general sounds, including the madhouse-din on the bus and the neighbor's base line.

Is this true? If so, how much would I need to spend to get the benefits from a pair?

Or should I just stick with my current set up?

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

Daneeka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

Noise canceling headphones are amazing. They can get quite expensive, though. I use a pair of over-the-ear Sennheisers' (non-noise canceling), and when I turn up the volume, I'm shut off from the world.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

I hear Acheron is nice this time of year. :)

I have the same issue wanting to shut ambient noise out of my life.

Is there a product that allows you to hear a normal conversation and that blocks out extraneous noise?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

that would be active noise cancelling headphones.

the ones i used to use at the range only blocked loud noises leaving a bit of ambient and most conversations were quite clear even at a distance, they were over ear so they muffled everything somewhat.

the ones we use at the brewery blocks everything actively, on that set however there is an intercom system using a mic and that goes through loud and clear, even when working in 110db there is no background noise.

both of these were for specific functions however and the general noise cancelling headphones do nothing but supress all outside noise while retaining the inside noise,.

there must be a set that cuts off everything below a certain amplitude and allows for the louder and more direct human conversation to go through, then cutting off again at even higher amplitude.

@OP these have received good reviews their price considered(the top products cost 450 dollars at the moment, brandname is shure, the ones in the link are 80 bucks)<--link

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

kopetski

07 Apr 2012, 7:33 am

I read into them some weeks ago, also because of basslines coming into a studio :S
BUT they only seem to block continuus sounds, like noise from airplaine/train and they don't block sudden noises (or noncontinuus thing like bass beats). Very unfortunate :/
I tried the Bose Quietcomfort in a store and they were ok but I'm not going to spend 250 or whatever on a set of headphones if I'm not sure they will work against the one thing that bothers me most (voices all during the night from neighbours).

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

I can't really add anything the others have added except get one that is built in from the material and not from batteries. They are awesome.

I personally prefer extra bass headphones though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

I have a fairly cheap pair of noise canceling headphones, and they do nothing to block out conversation or sudden noises. They only work on unchanging, rumbling sounds like the sound of a buzzing electric razor, or a car's engine.