The best place to learn the basics of Linux terminal

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:16 pm

Where is the best place to learn the basics of Linux terminal?
I want to be able to be independent on Linux commands such as wget and other basic commands.
Becuase the only one I know well is /opt/lampp/lampp start.
Thats it :oops: .
So I would like to get more independent when it comes to Linux terminal commands.
Thanks!

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

Believe it or not, you may be better off starting with the FreeBSD user's handbook.

For something Linux-specific, try this link.

You might feel this is too much background for just getting used to commands on the console. Nonetheless stick with it; the set of (likely) commands available usually don't make sense without that background.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

Are you still using KUbuntu?
Hanging out here should be useful: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/

Remember that it's basically a Debian system, so this covers everything except the Canonical tweaks: http://www.debian.org/doc/
Maybe start with this for a broad overview of Linux with a Debian slant: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ (although I'd be inclined to ignore the stuff about Midnight Commander: better to learn how stuff works by investigating the individual commands)
Almost all of this is relevant to any other Linux distribution too. Debian has its own ways of doing some things but they're not really different enough to confuse.

xowe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

Ah... Linux console... what a wonderful tool... and it seems so hard to find people who know how to use it.

I believe the best way to learn the console (or anything else) is to immerse yourself in it. That's how I learned... many hours of obsessively messing with the systems. Man pages are wonderful things :)

I'm going to have to check the links, I'm trying to get our staff to learn some basic stuff so that I don't have to do it all.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

xowe wrote:
Ah... Linux console... what a wonderful tool... and it seems so hard to find people who know how to use it.
Ah, a cry from my heart too. :lol:

Quote:
I believe the best way to learn the console (or anything else) is to immerse yourself in it. That's how I learned... many hours of obsessively messing with the systems. Man pages are wonderful things :)
Absolutely - it's the surest way for anything to be really understood: get intensely involved with it.
There is also some wonderfully dry humour scattered among the man pages.