squonk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 7:21 am

It is being 'discussed' :lol:

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/inde ... opic=34148

and also...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... indows_841

I don't know, I had 7 but since I converted to a tablet I only use its OP and Firefox as a browser.

Is 8 as bad as many are saying?

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

squonk wrote:
Is 8 as bad as many are saying?

It's different. I predict a backlash at first, mainly by long-term Windows users, and then people will get used to it. By next summer, it will be no big deal.

What I do not understand is Microsoft's Surface - a 10" screen for the same price as a decent 15.6" laptop? Who is going to buy it? The only people who buy netbooks are people who can't afford full-sized laptops. (That's why Wal-Mart sells netbooks.)

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:30 am

I like 7.

I think it will remain much trusted and used, same like the XP.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2012, 10:32 am

Opinions vary, as they do in all matters of religion.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 11:02 pm

Windows 8 is decent as a tablet OS to the best of my knowledge. Not outstanding, decent. But it's not even designed for a PC with a display larger than 10", and it is genuinely terrible on a PC. The built in "apps" are forced to full screen, they do not run windowed. You can patch it up to behave like Windows 7, but not all the way. The only advantage over 7 on a PC is that it boots faster, but 7 isn't really a slouch either.

I think the decision to force "apps" to full screen on a PC was a sheer mistake, and that should transcend opinion. I've heard some people who disagree with me, but I wonder if they're actually using a reasonably large screen or if they have eyesight problems. On a 24"-30" display, I don't even want to run video games full screen.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 11:06 am

So you can't even do something windows 98 could do wow? That sounds like moving backwards.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
I think the decision to force "apps" to full screen on a PC was a sheer mistake, and that should transcend opinion. I've heard some people who disagree with me, but I wonder if they're actually using a reasonably large screen or if they have eyesight problems. On a 24"-30" display, I don't even want to run video games full screen.

You keep omitting that in desktop mode, you can have as many windows as you want and nobody is forcing you to use the Metro style apps. Just keep using the desktop applications you're used to.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:58 am

LookTwice wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

You keep omitting that in desktop mode, you can have as many windows as you want and nobody is forcing you to use the Metro style apps. Just keep using the desktop applications you're used to.

I will, but I don't want to be arsed to uninstall the default app selection, and the idea that non-Metro apps are "legacy" doesn't bode well for the future.