Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:26 am

Off and on I've been around computers since the VIC-20 days. Only dabbled in programming but back then you pretty much had to do your own or copy it out the the monthly magazines and then figure out where they screwed it up or wait the 3 months till they corrected it. It was fun and a big accomplishment just so see a funny rough sprite's dance across your screen. Mostly I have built all my own systems and worked on I don't know how many others. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm no real geek when it comes to this stuff, but know a little more then the average bear.

So, I've got this pretty nice rig that has done nothing but give me head aches since it got put it together. Finally after two rma'ed vid cards and a rma'ed power supply I got it cookin. Things looked good and I figured it was time to add in the second video card in sli. Oh my, it went to hell in a hand basket on the first power up. I had never ever gotten a chassis intrusion error in my life, didn't have a clue and couldn't get around it. I took out the added card and same error, Chassis Intrusion. I mean it was quiet, I didn't even get a star trek red alert, but just as deadly as aliens coming aboard. So I popped on this machine and started looking. Cursing everything windows, but guess what, it wasn't windows. I didn't like what I saw and nothing seemed to indicate that any off the tried fixes really worked. To make this long story a little shorter, I weighed my options. I could let it sit there and stare at it for 6 months and not do anything but worry about it, which is exactly what I would have done till I did something either brilliant or very very stupid. I opted for the dreaded, take it to a shop. Gag!! !! An insult to my delicate nature, my core, my little bit of geekness was going to get crushed. It was to get worse. I asked the price before I went and they said 20 bucks to look at it and 50 an hour for the actual work and they would call when they figured out the problem. Well s**t, I already knew the problem and told them, so anyway they got the go ahead. Today I got the awaited phone call "your computer is done, come get it". I asked how much was the damage. 10 dollars was the answer. Now that should have been joyous news and it was for my pocket book, but.... 10 bucks? The guy fixed it in about 10 minutes at most and put in the second video card besides that. If they had said that will be 500 dollars, your car and a lean on your house and your first born I would have been proud. Yes my computer geekyness has been crushed, a freakin 10 minute lesson in, you don't know s**t.

Oh well, the second card is in and time to get Linux on and see what I can screw up this time. But I am still in despair my ego badly bruised and am in need of sympathetic ears to hear my cries of pain. So let the torrent flow of "you idiot" "what the hell is wrong with you, it is easy to fix" and any other words of encouragement you might send my way. I thank you for you patience and understanding.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 11:26 am

lol, glad it's all better now though. Remember, BIOS is your friend :)

I suffered a similar fate to this when I had to replace a sound card. It was odd because I've run computers with no cover's plenty of times before the advent of portable hard drives and USB flash drives I used to daisy chain HDD's into the computer with the "portable" sitting on a stack of books next to the tower...

never had a Chassis intrusion error, or even a jumper able to detect such. Needless to say the feature is disabled now.