Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:04 pm

Assertion: Rampant Emotionalism is Ruining Civilization.

Obsession with feelings, and the idea that feelings are superior to rationality, goes hand in hand with intellectual shallowness and anti-intellectualism. People quit school, do drugs, and mess up their lives because they are striving to gratify feelings. Not only are tax revenues and productivity lost from these people, but society has to spend billions of dollars helping them get their lives back in order.

However, no one dares to attack their lifestyles because that would weaken their self-esteem. Popular belief holds that people with lifestyle problems suffer only from poor self-esteem, and if that could be restored, they and society would be the better for it.

To the contrary; anyone who thinks he's entitled to a life without accountability, life support from others, and the right to vent his frustrations on innocent people does not suffer from poor self-esteem. Such people have grotesquely bloated senses of self-esteem. They are narcissists of the first order.

Most of what is called math and science anxiety is also narcissism. The buzzword for narcissism in the educational literature is "Ego Protection" (a rose by another name). Students feel that they rank so high in the cosmic order that they are entitled never to suffer anxiety or frustration. The irony, of course, is that they can never have good self-esteem as long as they know they are hiding from an obligation.

And that obligation is to learn (preferably math and science), and to use what was learned to advance civilization. This is "Plan A", in my book.

Instead, we must rely on "Plan B", which utilizes the "Express your feelings" method of crisis management to inform the masses. We live in a culture full of people who believe that expressing their feelings about a crisis is infinitely more important than actually solving the crisis, or in putting in place measures that would prevent the crisis from happening in the first place!

Plan B is reinforced by the news media. More emphasis is placed on the emotional impact of a disaster than in what actually happened or what is being done about it. When journalists start asking "How does it feel?" they have lost all my faith in their ability to report events in a most timely and accurate manner.

Thus, emotionalism reinforces the willed circumvention of the need for cool heads in a crisis, and replaces it with a cacaphony of wastefully expressive nonsense.

Now, I am not suggestion that personal feelings have no importance. After all, feelings motivate people to do things. I'm just saying that emoting for its own sake is a waste of effort, and that focussing on one's feelings at the expense of reason actually hinders personal growth. Now that hindered personal growth has become popular, we see declining proficiency in science and mathematics, and an increase in personal conflict that eventually creeps its way into political and social systems at the highest levels. Nothing gets done.

I am saying that we must have a return to reason; that personal growth is more about what you know and what you do, than it is about about how you feel and how you express yourself. In other words, stop crying and do something about it!

We have become so comcerned with how we feel, that we have lost our ambition. We are so focussed upon ourselves, that we have stopped looking at the stars; and once seeing, reaching for them.

Comments?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:20 pm

Historically, we tend to alternate between emphasis on reason and emphasis on emotion, each step being a reaction to the last. Middle Age mysticism to Renaissance humanism to early modern imperialism to Enlightenment (also called "Age of Reason") to Romanticism to Realism to irrationalism (Freud, Nietzsche, Bergson) and so on. I would prefer to live in an age that stressed reason over emotion. I also agree with your statements that the focus should be on learning math and science and using that knowledge to the benefit of society; that seems to me just to be any capable person's obligation.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:30 pm

What if you are simply not good at dealing with math, science, or money? If you don't fit into the strata of society that contributes rationally to things, are you worthless? 8O

Just a question.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:55 pm

That is an angry rant! Tell me why being emotional makes you angry so we can talk about it!

((Sorry could not resist. Actually, you do have some good points!))

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 4:15 pm

I strongly favor reason over emotion when it comes to decision making. My person problem is that Im a very passionate, intense person and there are times when I have no control over my emotions-meaning that my emotions basically overpower me and take control even though my rational mind recognizes that they're mistaken. Learning to live with your emotions and the ability to override them when necessary seems to be essential for successful functioning in civilization.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 4:21 pm

EMOTION IS A WEAKNESS. (sorry j/k, couldn't resist...)

But contrary to popular belief, Nazi Germany is a good example of how emotionalism (not cold "intellectualism") was used to destroy a civilization. Adolf Hitler was said to be able to know what the people wanted to hear, what would appeal to their hearts, and use it to manipulate them. People can be very gullible when they hold their emotions above reason. So while there may be some danger in a too unemotional society, I think that an overly emotional society can be worse... especially in this day and age, when we need to become a lot more scientific in our attitude towards the environment. Too much emotionalism WILL destroy us.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2008, 4:41 pm

Cyberman wrote:

But contrary to popular belief, Nazi Germany is a good example of how emotionalism (not cold "intellectualism") was used to destroy a civilization. Adolf Hitler was said to be able to know what the people wanted to hear, what would appeal to their hearts, and use it to manipulate them. People can be very gullible when they hold their emotions above reason. So while there may be some danger in a too unemotional society, I think that an overly emotional society can be worse... especially in this day and age, when we need to become a lot more scientific in our attitude towards the environment. Too much emotionalism WILL destroy us.

How dare you! Don't you care about THE CHILDREN?!?!? Are you against taxing carbon to generate a tax infrastructure exceeding the income tax in complexity? Well, you scumbag you're against clean air and water and a healthy environment, aren't you?

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 4:43 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
That is an angry rant! Tell me why being emotional makes you angry so we can talk about it!

:lol: I get the joke!

The emotions I feel about a situation motivate me to do something about the situation ... something other than cry t it. I'll not waste time or bandwidth analysing and discussing every subtle nuance of feeling. Rather, I'll gladly discuss any means to resolve the emotionalism / anti-intellectualism issue.

We need more thinker and doers, and fewer dark, brooding, naval-gazing emo types, if we're ever going to solve the social issues that plague the world today!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 4:44 pm

tailfins1959 wrote:
Cyberman wrote:

How dare you! Don't you care about THE CHILDREN?!?!? Are you against taxing carbon to generate a tax infrastructure exceeding the income tax in complexity? Well, you scumbag you're against clean air and water and a healthy environment, aren't you?

Why do you hate America?

:wink:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 5:23 pm

How dare you! Don't you care about THE CHILDREN?!?!? Are you against taxing carbon to generate a tax infrastructure exceeding the income tax in complexity? Well, you scumbag you're against clean air and water and a healthy environment, aren't you?[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This scumbag says, "Hear! Hear!"

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2008, 6:06 pm

I mostly agree that rationality is important. But here are some points to consider:

*My senior year English teacher pointed out that there is a conflict between thinking and acting.
The more time you spend planning your actions, the less time you have to act.
*You can't question everything, though you should question your broader assumptions (e.g., Imagine a little kid who asks why the sky's blue, then asks a million other questions)
*Objectivity isn't necessarily a good thing. I've harped on this point before, but some unrealistic optimism and false beliefs are necessary to be happy (I learned this in psychology).
*False beliefs can be beneficial depending on their content and the certitude with which they're held.
*Morality is neither rational nor irrational. In fact, morality is purely emotional as far as I can tell. I cannot coherently imagine what it would mean for something to matter unless it was emotional. In fact, I'd go so far as to say feeling is mattering.
*We rely on our emotions to make even "rational" decisions. For example, people with brain damage who cannot feel emotion have extreme difficulty making even mundane decisions. Instead, they spend so much time planning their actions that they never act. They also become overwhelmed with details.
*Smart people tend to be better at self-deception. It's not always clear where the error lies in their thinking, especially if you're less intelligent.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 6:16 pm

Cyberman wrote:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt63570.html