Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 7:50 pm

I have an E-Machine in my office that just won't function. At 1st just the keyboard was not working and i will get a "Hibernation mode failed" message. Than after fiddling with the IDE ribbons the CD Drives are not being detected. I used some dust remover on the Mobo and the PS/2 Ports. Now nothing will be displayed on-screen. Any Help.

Tried the same technique on another nonfunctioning machine and it worked.

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 8:54 pm

E-Machines are a huge pain to fix, don't bother it's probably not worth it

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 9:12 pm

is this a laptop? or a desktop? I presume a desktop, but just wanted to make sure.

Hibernation mode failed could be a software problem. Usually you can set that through Control Panel (unless you're running Linux), and power settings.

If the CD and HD aren't detected after you've moved the cables, check to see (well, first, which kinda devices?SATA/SCIS/RAID (kidding..;),IDE?) that you haven't changed the order they're connected (one setting on HD/CD is 'cable select. But hopefully they didn't do that). Firm but gentle push until it's seated at both ends.

If all of these are messed up at the same time, the common component is the motherboard.

Don't know the level of your expertice, but those would be the first things I'd check. See if you can score a diagnostics disc or CD from E Machine's web site.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 1:34 pm

I fixed all the problems but the one with the keyboard and hibrnation, Any Help.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:46 pm

What IS the problem with hibernation and keyboard? I would recommend, powering down and pressing the power switch to drain those capacitors in the PSU and plug in all the cables you need, keyboard and monitor (mouse isn't "really" needed) I usually test the keyboard by gaining access to the BIOS or by repeatedly pressing the "NUM LOCK" key to see if the light turns on, the other way to test is to watch the lights as you power back up, all three should illuminate at the same time to initialise the keyboard.
I would recommend a general tidy up of the hard drive, a computer will slow down the more you stick on it. I would recommend to have around 25-30% free space to keep access times and speed up

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 8:55 pm

Keith wrote:
What IS the problem with hibernation and keyboard? I would recommend, powering down and pressing the power switch to drain those capacitors in the PSU and plug in all the cables you need, keyboard and monitor (mouse isn't "really" needed) I usually test the keyboard by gaining access to the BIOS or by repeatedly pressing the "NUM LOCK" key to see if the light turns on, the other way to test is to watch the lights as you power back up, all three should illuminate at the same time to initialise the keyboard.
I would recommend a general tidy up of the hard drive, a computer will slow down the more you stick on it. I would recommend to have around 25-30% free space to keep access times and speed up

I can't press a key and every time I do the computer just beeps. The hibrnation mode error is after the E-Machine screen. Also when I unplug the KB and plug it back in the lights show up but it still doesn't work. I even check if the basic functions like caps lock work and they don't. I also tried several keyboards.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 2:42 pm

That's what you get for buying an E-Machine. :(

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2008, 3:03 pm

Quote:
can't press a key and every time I do the computer just beeps

My keyboard did that I think all I did was plugged in another keyboard my mom had lying around the house. But then I think the port was not working(cant rember) now I use my Dana by alphasmart as a keyboard. Oh Try using a USB keyboard!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:25 pm

It could be possible the PS/2 port could be screwed. My uncle decided to get an extension cable for the keyboard and for some reason the port didn't like it and you could see the scorch marks on the board.

Providing the BIOS supports USB keyboard you should be ok