Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:40 pm

Hey I just brought a tiny cheap laptop, it has linux pre installed on it with wifi and web cam here are more stats if anybody is interested.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701

They are so cool because they are so little, I might have a go at putting unbuntu linux on it there is a distro that is optimisied for it, which looks better than the current distro. I tried updating firefox and I think I might have mucked up the package system, but everything still goes so I'm happy with that.

Here is a link about them if anybody is interested, I think they have a small cult following. 8)

http://www.eeeuser.com/

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

I've been wanting one for months...

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 9:07 pm

I've been wishing so badly for an Asus distributor in this country, really, an Asus ee* would be perfect for me in so many ways that I would double the price...

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2008, 9:25 pm

If it was just a bit smaller I could mount that thing to my forarm and be futuristic. Which I totally want to do! :mrgreen:

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:24 pm

I waited until the Eee PC 1000H. I have no love for Linux or the high expense/limited capacity and lifespan of flash drives, and the Intel Atom allows up to 8 hours battery life.

The MSI Wind is comparable to the 1000H. It's virtually the same product, for those looking.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:31 pm

Nice. I want one. :D What's Xandros? Never heard of that distro... so yeah, I would pretty quickly just ditch it for Ubuntu, and then probably not have the right drivers for wifi again. Does this thing have a CD drive?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:39 pm

It's just a distro, and a sold out one. The thing with Linux distros is that they are not that different anyway, what matters the most is the window manager, and the packager stuff, as for the rest the distros are all the same.

I would probably install Xubuntu though-

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:44 pm

I was thinking of getting one of those, its half the size of my laptop, and easier to take on the road.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

Orwell wrote:
Nice. I want one. :D What's Xandros? Never heard of that distro... so yeah, I would pretty quickly just ditch it for Ubuntu, and then probably not have the right drivers for wifi again. Does this thing have a CD drive?

Yeah I don't think Xandros is that good, the symantic package system is all mangled on mine, but it does the bare basics. No it doesb't have a cd rom drive. But you can boot off flash drives so you can leave the orginal OS on there. It's got a slot for an SD card they seem to be cheaper plus the don't hang out like usb drives do so I might try and install a OS on one of them later maybe windows 98 on a 1 gig SD drive.

I think I probably like the novelty of it, it isn't the easiest to type on because it is so small. :lol:

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:57 pm

spudnik wrote:
I was thinking of getting one of those, its half the size of my laptop, and easier to take on the road.

yeah that is what got me. 8)

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2008, 11:11 pm

I have the EeePC 4GB that comes with Windows. Greatest invention ever- affordable and I can take it everywhere. Only drawbacks are, it doesn't have a very big memory and you can't put a disc in it. But it sure beats just wishing to have a computer someday!
I go to the Apple stores a lot for their free wifi connection and usually end up with a couple of their employees telling me how cool my computer is and how they either have one or plan to get one.
Noticed recently a couple of other companies are putting out smaller, less expensive laptops. Good for them! Something has to be done to make it possible for everyone to be able to have a computer.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 2:55 am

I can vouch for ASUS having excellent customer service and they honour their warranties. My EEE had an issue with the motherboard causing random startup failures, I contacted them and they sent a courier to pick it up that afternoon, they fixed it in a week and returned it by courier.

I don't know about the smaller models but the 10 inch models (1000 and 1000H) are not difficult to type on at all. The only thing I take issue with with the design of mine is the trackpad. The trackpad isn't as sensitive as I'd like it to be and the buttons are hard to push.

I spend most of my time on the EEE using the web, doing uni work and reacquainting myself with older games like Baldur's Gate.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 3:00 am

legendoftheselkie wrote:
Noticed recently a couple of other companies are putting out smaller, less expensive laptops. Good for them! Something has to be done to make it possible for everyone to be able to have a computer.

Well said. Everyone deserves a computer. In regards to that, It is that philosophy that made me settle on Ubuntu(though its true of almost all the linux family).

I had forgotten Xantros. I'll have to take a look. The other boat I missed was the two-for-one XO computer. Some of the software looked really cool.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 6:36 am

I ponder getting a One A120, which is similar to an eeepc but with some form of *buntu already preinstalled. The only problem I see about it is that it 'only' has 512 MB of RAM and is not upgradable. Does anyone use this?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

I cant justify buying one of these at the moment but everytime i see them i want one :(

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 4:17 pm

Tensho wrote:
I cant justify buying one of these at the moment but everytime i see them i want one :(

Tensho, put it on your job account! tell your boss "it's like, totally for work mazn!" :lol:

KingChaosNinja wrote:
If it was just a bit smaller I could mount that thing to my forarm and be futuristic. Which I totally want to do! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MR_BOGAN wrote:

8O
Damn! That's great! Image

So Bman, what's your address again? So I can steal... er, look at it? :lol: