Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2009, 10:32 am

Who's got it? Who's got an opinion about it?

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 4:29 pm

I stick with KDE 3.5 - I played around a bit with KDE4 on a test machine and I didn't saw anything in terms of a real improvement to move to KDE4. A lot what is described in home dialect as "Firlefanz" (best to translate as: bells and whistles).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 8:15 pm

I have seen KDE4 in action in Kubuntu and in OpenSUSE. It's a bloated pig, and I personally find the GNOME interface more intuitive. I might give it another chance soon, though.

EDIT: I don't know why I'm such a masochist. I really don't. I just installed KDE4 again, and yes, it still sucks. How do I even change the number of desktops? Right-click on the pager, "Configure desktops" set number of desktops to 4, click "apply" and... nothing happens. It stays at 2. It has always stayed at 2, every time I've tried KDE in three different distros. It should not stay at 2. I want 4 desktops, dangit, and even XFCE will do what I tell it (most of the time, at least, but it seems to suck at saving files). Also, KDE doesn't seem to play nice with Compiz- it screwed up a bunch of my settings, and Compiz generally just "feels" less smooth and well-integrated in KDE.

Much of this may be some prejudice, as I mostly use GNOME apps and a lot of them don't integrate well into the KDE desktop, making for an odd look... but even on native KDE apps or DE-independent stuff like FF and OOo, GNOME seems much better to me. And the menu layout for KDE is nonsensical.

On the plus side, it seems a bit faster now. However, this may be an illusion because I think I'm using Vista. Emerald has my aero-clone theme enabled, and the completely absurd mishmash of random and arbitrary structure behind the way KDE does things completes the illusion that I'm running Vista, and nothing can be slower than that.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 11:45 pm

Back in GNOME. Happy, happy GNOME. Clean, simple, elegant, usable, intuitive, robust, configurable, and beautiful GNOME. With 4 desktops, as it should be. My only complaint about GNOME is that PCman file manager is better than Nautilus, but I'll get around to replacing the file manager eventually. Nautilus still beats Explorer and Finder any day.

LXDE is not bad either. Very good if you want lightning performance on crap hardware. XFCE is good as well, but acts up on me sometimes.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2009, 1:44 am

whats KDE 4?

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 1:53 am

I have never like KDE, Gnome has a cleaner interface and is much easier to use.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2009, 4:40 am

KDE4 looks like its got a lot of really nice stuff under the surface but its only noticeable inside the different applications. I'm waiting for Debian to move it to Testing before I give it a try.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 4:53 am

Orwell wrote:
Back in GNOME. Happy, happy GNOME. Clean, simple, elegant, usable, intuitive, robust, configurable, and beautiful GNOME.

Soon to be not brown Gnome. Next falls ubuntu will shift the standard colors.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Apr 2009, 6:49 am

ill keep gnome.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 6:56 am

Orwell wrote:
EDIT: I don't know why I'm such a masochist. I really don't. I just installed KDE4 again, and yes, it still sucks. How do I even change the number of desktops? Right-click on the pager, "Configure desktops" set number of desktops to 4, click "apply" and... nothing happens. It stays at 2. It has always stayed at 2, every time I've tried KDE in three different distros.

Interesting: With KDE 3.5 it works flawless ...

A nice German word gets into my mind: "Verschlimmbesserung" (the try to improve something, but making it worst).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 2:02 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Back in GNOME. Happy, happy GNOME. Clean, simple, elegant, usable, intuitive, robust, configurable, and beautiful GNOME.

Soon to be not brown Gnome. Next falls ubuntu will shift the standard colors.

I change the theme. My GNOME is more blueish, and there is just one taskbar at the bottom, as in KDE, LXDE, and Windows.

The one thing I like in KDE is the little "Quick Access" widget or whatever that's next to the start menu. How do I get that in GNOME?

Also, Konqueror is garbage. It won't be "Konquering" anything for quite some time.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 7:13 am

Orwell wrote:
The one thing I like in KDE is the little "Quick Access" widget or whatever that's next to the start menu. How do I get that in GNOME?

Tell you what. I'll go against my better judgment and install KDE and find out what the heck you are talking about. I've not tried KDE in years.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 8:21 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Tell you what. I'll go against my better judgment and install KDE and find out what the heck you are talking about. I've not tried KDE in years.

You had to differ between KDE 3.5 (the previous version) and KDE4. Whilst KDE 3.5 is very stable and reliable, I can't say this from KDE 4.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 12:19 pm

Dussel wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Orwell wrote:

You had to differ between KDE 3.5 (the previous version) and KDE4. Whilst KDE 3.5 is very stable and reliable, I can't say this from KDE 4.

I keep hearing rumors that 4.1 and 4.2 are really good... but I'm not finding that to be the case in 4.1. After royally screwing up my Ubuntu with the Kubuntu experiment, I decided to give OpenSUSE one last chance... and it can't even get on the internet, not even with a wired connection. :?

The "Quick Access" widget gives you very convenient access to your filesystem, by default starting you off in your home folder and allowing you to navigate around and look for your files without having to open up a window in Konqueror or Dolphin. It is very nice.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 1:09 pm

Orwell, the plasma widget?

I cant find a way to run it. I think its integrated pretty tightly to KDE(which is very pretty, but very annoying).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think so. Hopefully I'll find a GNOME equivalent somewhere.

Anyways, I've yet another failed foray into OpenSUSE under my belt, so now it's time for Kubuntu. Maybe my KDE problems were partially caused by installing it on top of GNOME rather than making a typical Kubuntu install. If that doesn't work... well, it's only a few weeks until I switch to 9.04 anyways.