Anyone looking forward to "new" Top Gear?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:59 pm

According to BBC article here all the presenters and the producer are now gone: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32437814

- Jeremy Clarkson: gone
- James May: gone
- Richard Hammon: gone
- Andy Wilman (producer): gone

Honestly I'm more interested in a new program with the three stooges than in any continuation of Top Gear. The BBC should just suck it up and and get Clarkson back. Top Gear was the most viewed factual (slang for non-fiction, it does mean factual at all) program IN THE WORLD and they just pissed it all away.

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2015, 10:47 pm

Not interested in a new lineup at all for the same reasons that I never watched any of the spin-offs. It wasn't just the format that I enjoyed, but the personalities. I didn't always agree with the things that Clarkson said, but I'm also fairly sure that was the point. It was one of the few shows that I could watch with my dad that we'd both enjoy. I really hope that the originals reconvene like Anthony Bourdain did when he left A Cook's Tour.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:26 pm

Neon Noir wrote:
Not interested in a new lineup at all for the same reasons that I never watched any of the spin-offs. It wasn't just the format that I enjoyed, but the personalities. I didn't always agree with the things that Clarkson said, but I'm also fairly sure that was the point. It was one of the few shows that I could watch with my dad that we'd both enjoy. I really hope that the originals reconvene like Anthony Bourdain did when he left A Cook's Tour.

I'm afraid that if this unholy trinity gets together for another car show, it will be behind a paywall like Netflix or something. At least Top Gear on the BBC was free and had no commercials (thank you British taxpayers). I don't think people want another subscription just so they can watch Top Gear 2.0. I know it's unlikely to happen but I want the BBC to take back Clarkson. It's ok for Clarkson to still present BBC programmes but not Top Gear? Dafuq?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:40 pm

Yeah the dynamic between them was entertaining. Perhaps they could bring back Tiff Needell, unmask the Stig and add a comedian like Rowan Atkinson?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm

It's sad to see such a great and long running show disappear. Stamping the old title on a basically new show seems wrong.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

It does. I liked the challenges, knowing the characters added a layer of entertainment value.

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 8:37 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I'm afraid that if this unholy trinity gets together for another car show, it will be behind a paywall like Netflix or something. At least Top Gear on the BBC was free and had no commercials (thank you British taxpayers).

I can see this happening as well. It might be a bit selfish, but seeing as I don't have cable TV and solely rely on streaming subscription services, I don't have much of a problem with it going on Netflix. I can totally understand how this could potentially split the audience though. I blame BBC rather than Huey, Dewey, and Louie as the paywall is the only other reasonable option for distribution.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:05 pm

Amity wrote:
Yeah the dynamic between them was entertaining. Perhaps they could bring back Tiff Needell, unmask the Stig and add a comedian like Rowan Atkinson?

I've seen Fifth Gear and that's a car show. Top Gear (2002-2015) was not a car show, it was three blokes mucking about. I have zero interest in cars but I found Top Gear entertaining because it was humorous and weird. Top Gear only became a worldwide phenomenon since Clarkson took over. Can't stand Fifth Gear because it is extremely boring to someone who doesn't care about cars.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:21 pm

Neon Noir wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
I'm afraid that if this unholy trinity gets together for another car show, it will be behind a paywall like Netflix or something. At least Top Gear on the BBC was free and had no commercials (thank you British taxpayers).

I can see this happening as well. It might be a bit selfish, but seeing as I don't have cable TV and solely rely on streaming subscription services, I don't have much of a problem with it going on Netflix. I can totally understand how this could potentially split the audience though. I blame BBC rather than Huey, Dewey, and Louie as the paywall is the only other reasonable option for distribution.

They already ruined F1 by paywalling it. I really hope they find a new business model for tv because I don't want to keep paying more and more to view stuff that used to be on tv for free. I already pay for normal cable and I don't want to get a subscription on some paywall thing just to see one show, and then get another subscription to another paywall thing to see for example F1.
And why the BBC just ruins one of their most popular shows is beyond me. It can't be just the "fracas" because they still allow him to present other BBC shows, just not Top Gear. The BBC should beg Clarkson to come back but they won't.

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 9:38 pm

trollcatman wrote:
It can't be just the "fracas" because they still allow him to present other BBC shows, just not Top Gear.

It really is hard to believe that this whole thing was brought about by a steak. At first I had wondered if this was some publicity stunt like TLC/Duck Dynasty had pulled awhile back, but now that doesn't seem to be the case. Seeing as the contracts were about to expire, maybe the writing was already on the wall about the presenters moving to a paywall format and the BBC is now just trying to save face. None of this as it was explained makes much sense.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:00 am

trollcatman wrote:
Amity wrote:

I've seen Fifth Gear and that's a car show. Top Gear (2002-2015) was not a car show, it was three blokes mucking about. I have zero interest in cars but I found Top Gear entertaining because it was humorous and weird. Top Gear only became a worldwide phenomenon since Clarkson took over. Can't stand Fifth Gear because it is extremely boring to someone who doesn't care about cars.

Ah, I like cars, and car shows, but I also liked the dynamic of the presenters. When Hammond returned after his accident, I think the three of them were somehow different, more relaxed somehow. I dont think that relationship can be recreated by alternate presenters, but I cant imagine that the BBC will discard the show either.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:58 pm

I'm glad Clarkson got fired. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show, and watched it all the time. New Top Gear will probably work about as well as, let's see... American Top Gear.

The thing I'm glad about is that shouting obscenities and ethnic slurs and punching people in the face over nothing is no longer considered acceptable behavior for Englishmen. I may have to reconsider visiting your lovely island. I only wish that Texas could become so civilized.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 10:08 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
I'm glad Clarkson got fired. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show, and watched it all the time. New Top Gear will probably work about as well as, let's see... American Top Gear.

The thing I'm glad about is that shouting obscenities and ethnic slurs and punching people in the face over nothing is no longer considered acceptable behavior for Englishmen. I may have to reconsider visiting your lovely island. I only wish that Texas could become so civilized.

Punching the man was definately wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with his comments. It is a show, it is not real. If Clarkson makes a joke about Germans and WW2 people complain, but then people will always complain. It is just an overreaction of political correctness. And the profanity was very low, just about every show or movie will have much more. The BBC doesn't do much profanity at all.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 11:52 am

The rant wasn't on-air, but in the bar of their hotel. Jeremy and Richard held their helicopter for a few hours at the shoot so that they could get hammered, and then when they arrived at the hotel, the kitchen had closed. Other guests reported that the profanity-laced rant went on for hours, culminating in ethnic slurs and the infamous punch. I don't advocate punching people, but in this particular case, I think that the verbal violence was actually worse.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 6:58 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
The rant wasn't on-air, but in the bar of their hotel. Jeremy and Richard held their helicopter for a few hours at the shoot so that they could get hammered, and then when they arrived at the hotel, the kitchen had closed. Other guests reported that the profanity-laced rant went on for hours, culminating in ethnic slurs and the infamous punch. I don't advocate punching people, but in this particular case, I think that the verbal violence was actually worse.

Oh, I didn't know about the slurs during the "fracas", I thought you meant the jokes he made during the show about the French or some such thing. Wasn't the victim of the punch Irish or something? He has a vaguely Irish sounding name (I don't know Irish though).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 4:35 am

Yes, the producer was Irish, as indicated by the slurs.