Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2015, 10:34 am

So, I was thinking about how I think Nichelle Nichols' story about how she met the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, jr. and how he told her not to quit the show. Anyway, what I was thinking about was how Gene Roddenberry wanted to foster a utopian race-free environment of the future while at the same time admitting in interviews that he wanted a Scotsman as the engineer and how Asians have always been good pilots or navigators and wanted a Russian in there because the Russians said of the show, "those Americans; we beat them to space and they don't have a Russian on their crew!" Seems to me that if you go out of your way to hire someone just to have a diverse crew or staff, then you're just as guilty of someone actively perpetuating racial stereotypes. Someone who feels as though affirmative action is a good idea doesn't think people should be hired on their merit but by the color of their skin and where their ancestors are from.

Just one of the things that kind of drove a wedge between me and Star Trek. Just because some's black doesn't mean they should be the captain or just because someone's a woman doesn't mean they should be the captain. And yes, I know women and minorities have been held back and denied opportunities in the past. It doesn't mean someone hired over someone else with better qualifications, regardless of race or gender should cut in line. Be more qualified than the person in the lead and then you'll get the part or get hired.

Star Trek, decent show but damn if the creators and the crew didn't have some wacky ideas.

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2015, 10:00 pm

I've heard it said that the best thing Gene Roddenberry ever did for Star Trek was to die.. and while that seems overly harsh, the statement does have some merit. Plots, villains, characters.. everything got better once he was gone. He did create Trek, for which I'll be forever grateful, but I do still think he was a victim of the times to some extent, and wasn't quite as forward thinking as many people claim.