Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thejackal221
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

My family loves sitcoms but I have a hard time sitting through most of them. Now I do enjoy the Big Bang Theory, but that's about it. Is anyone else here like that, or are there people that love sitcoms here?

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2012, 2:56 pm

I don't necessarily enjoy watching sitcoms, they are, I guess, unusual in some way or another. The standard nihilist sitcoms like Seinfeld, According to Jim and King of Queens aren't really my taste. I do enjoy How I Met Your Mother (because, as a literature and film student, I think it's done beautifully) and 30 Rock, but they both have some weird qualities to them that I haven't completely figured out yet.

It's funny that you should mention BBT, because I was just discussing that the other day with a fellow aspie. What do you enjoy about the show?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

I'm in two minds about sitcoms - some I find gut-bustingly funny, others not funny at all. I've loved "I Dream of Jeannie", "Are You Being Served?", "Red Dwarf", "Married with Children" and "The Nanny", but I've tried watching "The Bill Cosby Show", "Home Improvement" and "Two and a Half Men" and found them painfully unfunny.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

Some of them are quite good. Others not so much.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

There are 3 that I like. Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Seinfeld. There are a lot of bad ones (like most mentioned here + Big Bang Theory).

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 6:51 pm

I use to watch alot of British Sitcoms in the day and I usually watch repeats now and then. My favourite is Only Fools and Horses. I also use to watch some American Sitcoms like Frasier, Will and Grace but they kinda driffted away and I usually see repeats of Frasier on Channel 4. Friends is a show I really love though they've stop repeating it now on E4 and I've begun watching The Big Bang Theory which I didn't watch at first but when shown on E4 I started getting into. Aside from The Big Bang Theory I don't really check out the other sitcoms just this one and the oldies. I also love The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Father Ted.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

I grew up with sitcoms, and have fond memories of All In The Family, Happy Days, Taxi, Cheers, etc.
But now, I can hardly stand most of them. Oh, there are exceptions - I love The Big Band Theory, and maybe a few others. I suspect that it's more of a matter of my tastes changing (hopefully for the better) than of sitcoms actually getting much worse.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

impulse94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2012, 9:14 am

I have only just started watching TBBT and am on Episode 5. It made me realize that it must have been quite some time since I've watched a sitcom, as I suddenly noticed the pausing for laughs. It's usually line, line, laugh, or line, line, line, laugh. Granted, that is typical of any sitcom and in no way reduces my enjoyment of this one.

And now I understand why some have compared me to Sheldon.

TheBeast
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

Sitcoms are a great stress relief. Just mindless dumb humor to get lost in. A good way to escape a bad day. King of Queens, 30 Rock, Friends, Seinfeld. Cant go wrong with those ;)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

I like watching sitcoms with my family. It's better than the depressing shows that my mom likes to watch sometimes, like Law & Order or House. We kind of pick one sitcom and watch it until we start seeing too many reruns. For awhile we watched Everybody Loves Raymond, then it was Married... With Children, then Two and a Half Men (when Charlie Sheen was still on it), and now it's King of Queens.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 8:16 pm

"some" are really good. Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, actually watching Whitney right now

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 8:22 pm

The only ones I'm "allowed" to watch with my family are:

The Big Bang Theory

The Simpsons

Mike & Molly

Two and a Half Men

All others either suck {some I like, but don't watch thanks to my family}
OR we do not turn the TV on in time to watch them.

thejackal221
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2012, 12:07 am

nortier wrote:
I don't necessarily enjoy watching sitcoms, they are, I guess, unusual in some way or another. The standard nihilist sitcoms like Seinfeld, According to Jim and King of Queens aren't really my taste. I do enjoy How I Met Your Mother (because, as a literature and film student, I think it's done beautifully) and 30 Rock, but they both have some weird qualities to them that I haven't completely figured out yet.

It's funny that you should mention BBT, because I was just discussing that the other day with a fellow aspie. What do you enjoy about the show?

The thing I like the most is that I relate well to the characters.

I saw a few people mention Everyone Loves Raymond. I tried to watch that a few times but I found Raymond's continuous whining annoying. I am getting into Last Man Standing. I've always been a fan of Tim Allen.

Spook1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2012, 6:18 am

I can be entertained by sitcoms but I never really bother with them. I tend to only bother with shows with a little substance and interesting story arcs. Which is to say I am not watching that much TV at the moment.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

yesterday i saw an interview with the cast/writers of 'its always sunny in philadelphia' (which i like) and it was said how nearly every other sitcom is made to be intentionally predictable because people find that comforting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 6:07 pm

psych wrote:
yesterday i saw an interview with the cast/writers of 'its always sunny in philadelphia' (which i like) and it was said how nearly every other sitcom is made to be intentionally predictable because people find that comforting.

I admit I haven't watched the show that often, but what I've seen is absolutely hilarious.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer