Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ryan1992
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2015, 6:40 am

Any thoughts on Twin Peaks returning next year on Showtime? It will be fantastic to explore this haunted yet enchanting world once again.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:46 am

Color me skeptical but cautiously optimistic.

I'm in the minority(?) of 'Peaks' fans who thought the series took a massive creative nosedive in the second season, following and including the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer. However, I'm also in the minority(?) of 'Peaks' fans who actually enjoyed 'Fire Walk with Me', so I really have no idea whether or not I think I'll end up liking its revival.

Ryan1992
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2015, 7:14 am

I'm also in the minority(?) of 'Peaks' fans who actually enjoyed 'Fire Walk with Me'

Personally I think you can only really enjoy Fire Walk with Me if you've seen Twin Peaks in its entirely. It simply does not work as a stand alone film, you have to understand the mythology otherwise the events in Fire Walk with Me don't make sense.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2015, 7:39 am

Ryan1992 wrote:
Any thoughts on Twin Peaks returning next year on Showtime? It will be fantastic to explore this haunted yet enchanting world once again.

Thank you. I read about these plans at some earlier point, but then they didn't mention a year yet.

I don't know how to feel about this. Twin Peaks is still my favorite series of all time, sharing its number one position with Breaking Bad since last year. (I don't intend to start an argument over which series is better. In my opinion they are incomparable.) It will be hard to make a continuation that is necessarily different but yet equally good. I loved everything about the original series, including the late 80's, early 90's atmosphere.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:52 am

Ryan1992 wrote:
I'm also in the minority(?) of 'Peaks' fans who actually enjoyed 'Fire Walk with Me'

Personally I think you can only really enjoy Fire Walk with Me if you've seen Twin Peaks in its entirely. It simply does not work as a stand alone film, you have to understand the mythology otherwise the events in Fire Walk with Me don't make sense.

It makes me wonder how they're going to approach the new series; we already know it's going to be a direct continuation, but whether it'll be something like 'Fire Walk with Me' which will be strictly oriented towards people already familiar with the series or something more "accessible" for a wider audience is yet to be seen. 'Peaks' is very well-known, but it's still very much a cult show...it's not like 'Star Trek', it's got a very niche audience and it's kind of a gamble to bring it back after so long.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm

I absolutely lived for Twin Peaks when it first ran, back in my college days, and so I would love to see a new series. I take it the new series would pick up after several years where the original had left off?

Ryan1992
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2015, 1:29 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Ryan1992 wrote:

It makes me wonder how they're going to approach the new series; we already know it's going to be a direct continuation, but whether it'll be something like 'Fire Walk with Me' which will be strictly oriented towards people already familiar with the series or something more "accessible" for a wider audience is yet to be seen. 'Peaks' is very well-known, but it's still very much a cult show...it's not like 'Star Trek', it's got a very niche audience and it's kind of a gamble to bring it back after so long.

That is a reasonable point. However, Showtime is only available to those who subscribe. So even in Twin Peaks as a niche audience, Showtime will make money via subscriptions along with commercial money they already have.

asherx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

I sure hope Angelo Badalamenti is doing the music and Albert Rosenfeld needs to make an appearance.

gomez928
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2015, 2:21 pm

I think the show will be like Doctor Who in 2005. Fans of the previous 2 seasons and FWWM can pick up on things quickly, but new fans to the show won't be completely lost. This is all speculation of course. Cooper, Bobby, Laura, and Audrye are all set to return.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

As a 'Doctor Who' fan who did/does not like the modern-day revival, I'm hoping 'Peaks' isn't anything like that. :?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 9:40 am

I hope they keep the theme song by Ennio Morricone.

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 10:27 am

From what I understand, the show was deliberately wrecked by the channel head honchos.
Completely unnanounced time slot changes, for example, made it seem like the show wasn't actually that interesting to people. Even the drop in ratings after the Laura Palmer arc was, according to David Lynch, due to ABC pressuring them to resolve the plot prematurely. Mark Frost said that it was "a tough act to follow."

Pretty much everyone thinks the Windom Earle arc was weaker.
While I do agree with this, it was still perfectly fine. Look at the massively popular Bleach; it starts out as a ghost detective-kind of dealio, but starts turning into something entirely else after the first season. Twin Peaks, however, maintained its off-beat feel and interesting characters; in other words, what really made it entertaining in the first place. And the finale is absolutely amazing.

The reason why people didn't like Fire Walk With Me, by the way, is that it was generally waaaaaay more Lynch than the show. My only real problem with it was the replacement actress for the suddenly-greedy Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna). Then again, I guess I'm bit of a David Lynch-fanboy. :mrgreen:

Anyway.
I'd say I'm cautiously hopeful.

EDIT: Going back to Fire Walk With Me, Lynch had planned a trilogy of movies.
However, due to the loud, collective "wat" it caused, these plans obviously imploded.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:23 pm

Nagalis wrote:
The reason why people didn't like Fire Walk With Me, by the way, is that it was generally waaaaaay more Lynch than the show.

Which is probably why I liked it so much, since I'm the sort of person who would rather watch 'Wild at Heart' or 'Lost Highway' for the umpteenth time before taking the time to re-watch 'Twin Peaks' for merely the second. Heck, I'm sitting right under an 'Eraserhead' poster as I type this.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Nagalis wrote:
The reason why people didn't like Fire Walk With Me, by the way, is that it was generally waaaaaay more Lynch than the show.

Which is probably why I liked it so much, since I'm the sort of person who would rather watch 'Wild at Heart' or 'Lost Highway' for the umpteenth time before taking the time to re-watch 'Twin Peaks' for merely the second. Heck, I'm sitting right under an 'Eraserhead' poster as I type this.

I've got an Eraserhead poster with Henry staring down at me, even as I type this!
I must admit, I had been disappointed with Fire Walk With Me. Who knows, it's been years since I've seen it, so maybe the passage of time might change my opinion if I watched it again. Incidentally, my all time favorite Lynch movie is Blue Velvet.

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 6:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Incidentally, my all time favorite Lynch movie is Blue Velvet.

Guess what poster I can see in the corner of my eye? :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

Nagalis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Incidentally, my all time favorite Lynch movie is Blue Velvet.

Guess what poster I can see in the corner of my eye? :wink:

Cool beans! :D