Science Fiction TV Shows of the 60s, 70s, 80s

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:01 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
"The Starlost" was only for one season in 1973-74. It was ambitious and had involvement of some people from "2001: Space Odyssey", but it experienced many difficulties of production, and was cancelled soon. The creator Harlan Ellison left the project before the series was broadcast.

-That's too bad. :(

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:38 pm

Does anyone remember the original Battlestar Galactica?

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:
"The Starlost" was only for one season in 1973-74. It was ambitious and had involvement of some people from "2001: Space Odyssey", but it experienced many difficulties of production, and was cancelled soon. The creator Harlan Ellison left the project before the series was broadcast.

-That's too bad. :(

I think it should re-made. It was an excellent concept. I would definitely watch a new Starlost remake, than another Star Wars sequel :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 12:26 am

ruveyn wrote:

Yeah, I had actually mentioned it in my first post. I guess I had never really gotten hooked on the technically superior, better written remake because for me, the real Galactica has Pa Cartwright and Face man serving on board. By the way, Dr. Smith from Lost In Space voiced Lucifer the Cylon on board Baltar's Base Ship.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

[1975ー1980]
Future Cop, Time, Express, Fantastic Journey, Invisible Man, Gemini Man, Man from Atlantis, Project UFO, Beyond Westworld, Tales of the Unexpected, Spiderman, Logan's Run, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfZerhRy8lc[/youtube]

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

[1980's]
Automan, Manimal, The Wizard, Wizards and Warriors, Misfits of Science, Shadow Chasers, The Phoenix, Powers of Matthew Star, Starman, Outlaws, The Highwayman
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_87i7FhkIs[/youtube]

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:23 pm

UFO
This is a 1970's show about the future 1980's which looked like the groovy 1960's :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5GAY7JfWU[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
[1975ー1980]
Future Cop, Time, Express, Fantastic Journey, Invisible Man, Gemini Man, Man from Atlantis, Project UFO, Beyond Westworld, Tales of the Unexpected, Spiderman, Logan's Run, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica.

I almost forgot how many of those shows I used to watch as a kid. I somehow remembered them as being kinda better. :?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
[1980's]
Automan, Manimal, The Wizard, Wizards and Warriors, Misfits of Science, Shadow Chasers, The Phoenix, Powers of Matthew Star, Starman, Outlaws, The Highwayman
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_87i7FhkIs[/youtube]

I remember watching some of those shows.
Courtney Cox was in Misfits Of Science?

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
NowhereMan1966 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Growing up, I absolutely loved Space: 1999. I especially had a major crush on Catherine Schell who played Maya in the second season.
I was also a die hard fan of The Incredible Hulk, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, and the original Battlestar Galactica (but not that God awful Galactica 1980). I especially loved anthology shows like Tales From The Darkside, Monsters (which I think was in the 1980's), and the 1980's Twilight Zone.

I remember that episode of Amazing Stories with the gunner drawing landing gear on the plane very well. Unfortunately, the real life incident from WWII that had inspired the episode hadn't turned out so happily. I used to watch the old V TV series, as well. I thought Michael Ironside was a real badass.

Yeah, it makes me cringe that something like that really happened where the poor ball gunner was crushed. I think if I was at Boeing, I'd make them do a "do-over" on that part of the plane.

"V", yeah, I loved Ham Tyler too, he was so blunt and to the point, I wonder if he had an AS trait or two. ;)

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Yeah, I had actually mentioned it in my first post. I guess I had never really gotten hooked on the technically superior, better written remake because for me, the real Galactica has Pa Cartwright and Face man serving on board. By the way, Dr. Smith from Lost In Space voiced Lucifer the Cylon on board Baltar's Base Ship.

Me too. BTW, I remember Rick Springfield and Ed Begley Jr. played some small parts too as well as elderly Lew Ayers and Ray Milland. In the first episode/movie, the Ovion insect people really spooked me out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

MannyBoo wrote:

I think it may have inspired TSR's "Metamorphosis Aplpha" game system.

Starlost premise (1973):

Wikipedia wrote:
Discovering that the destruction of the Earth will happen in the future, humanity builds a multi-generational starship called "The ARK" which was around 80 kilometres (50 mi) wide and 320 kilometres (200 mi) long. The ship contains dozens of isolated biospheres, each kilometres across and housing people of different cultures. Early in the voyage an unexplained disaster struck with the ARK suffering damage and the command crew killed. The ARK had some kind of automatic damage control and disaster systems which sealed off each biosphere and kept the inhabitants alive, even though the command crew had died off.

Metamorphosis Alpha (1976):

Wikipedia wrote:
The original edition of the game takes place on a generation spaceship, the starship Warden that has been struck by an unknown cataclysmic event that killed many of the colonists and crew. Thus, the characters must survive their missions in this ship (which they believe to be a world) where they no longer understand the technology around them and they encounter numerous mutated creatures. In essence, Metamorphosis Alpha is a dungeon crawl in space.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2013, 2:18 pm

Although it was a kid's show, it had a lot of SF properties as well as many prominent SF writers making scripts such as Larry Niven and David Gerrold, but I enjoyed "Land of the Lost." BTW, although the Sleestak were slow, clumsy and poor shots with a crossbow, at the age of 46, they still scare me. :) Enik was cool though, looking closer, i think he did display some AS traits too.

One favorite was where Will and Holly were playing with a pylon and they opened up a hole that let an astronaut through. I remember he told the story where he was flying a space shuttle from "Space Station 5" to Earth and he had to bail out because of what the pylon did. He also mentioned about colonies to the other planets. I remember Rick Marshall, the father, said that "We do not have space shuttles yet." At that time though, 1974, they were on the drawing board and most likely started to by worked on, I remember seeing models of them at the Kennedy Space Center when I was there in 1974.

I liked most of them, the ones with the Zarn were cool too.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:

I think it may have inspired TSR's "Metamorphosis Aplpha" game system.

Starlost premise (1973):

Wikipedia wrote:
Discovering that the destruction of the Earth will happen in the future, humanity builds a multi-generational starship called "The ARK" which was around 80 kilometres (50 mi) wide and 320 kilometres (200 mi) long. The ship contains dozens of isolated biospheres, each kilometres across and housing people of different cultures. Early in the voyage an unexplained disaster struck with the ARK suffering damage and the command crew killed. The ARK had some kind of automatic damage control and disaster systems which sealed off each biosphere and kept the inhabitants alive, even though the command crew had died off.

Wikipedia wrote:
The original edition of the game takes place on a generation spaceship, the starship Warden that has been struck by an unknown cataclysmic event that killed many of the colonists and crew. Thus, the characters must survive their missions in this ship (which they believe to be a world) where they no longer understand the technology around them and they encounter numerous mutated creatures. In essence, Metamorphosis Alpha is a dungeon crawl in space.

IIRC, Metamorphosis Alpha inspired TSR's/Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro's "Gamma World RPG."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

NowhereMan1966 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:

I think it may have inspired TSR's "Metamorphosis Alpha" game system.

Starlost premise (1973):

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
IIRC, Metamorphosis Alpha inspired TSR's/Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro's "Gamma World RPG."

It did.

Wikipedia wrote:
Gamma World is a science fantasy role-playing game, originally designed by James M. Ward and Gary Jaquet, and first published by TSR in 1978. It borrowed heavily from James M. Ward's earlier product, Metamorphosis Alpha ... Gamma World takes place in the mid-25th century, more than a century after a second nuclear war had destroyed human civilization ... Gamma World is a chaotic, dangerous environment that little resembles pre-apocalyptic Earth. The weapons unleashed during the final war were strong enough to alter coastlines, level cities, and leave large areas of land lethally radioactive. These future weapons bathed the surviving life of Earth in unspecified forms of radiation and biochemical agents, producing widespread, permanent mutations among humans, animals, and plants. As a result, fantastic mutations such as multiple limbs, super strength, and psychic powers are relatively common. ... Many animals and plants are sentient, semi-civilized species competing with surviving humans. Both humans and non-humans have lost most knowledge of the pre-war humans, whom Gamma World's inhabitants refer to as "the Ancients". The only group with significant knowledge of the Ancients are isolated robots and other artificial intelligences that survived the war—though these machines tend to be damaged, in ill-repair, or hostile to organic beings.

I've played both Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World.

I prefer Traveller.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:
[1975ー1980]

I almost forgot how many of those shows I used to watch as a kid. I somehow remembered them as being kinda better. :?

At least you could watch it new and live at that time.. I can only try to find it now, on DVD, or online.. IF it can be found at all. :lol:

Watching it as a kid is the best time to watch it. Kids are usually more imaginative and have adventurous mentalities, compared to adults.. So the show feels more wonderful. :D