Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:52 pm

I know that sounds like a stupid question and the answer would probably be yes but I wanted to ask it anyway. Just because at times some people probably don't like a certain tv show or movie that you like doesn't mean that you should hate it because they do. For example I'm a little bit of a fanboy when it comes to Power Rangers. It is basically a stupid kids show with really bad acting and a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense and I mean a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense. I can't really explain why I love this show so much, granted there are a lot of other tv shows I love better but it was apart of my childhood and it has come back to me. I can understand why others hate it but I love it and that's OK.

I've only seen the movie once since it came out and I'm having it as a present for Christmas but Man of Steel was an awesome movie and probably one of the best superhero movies and probably the best Superman movies of all time. It had good acting, a great story and great action. They may have changed a few things in the Superman Mythos (I don't really mind that Perry White is black or that instead of getting his powers through his travels he was injected with something I believe I can't really remember and while the getting the powers from his travels is more memorable I'm still OK with it plus even then I don't really understand how it works because techno babble isn't one of my strong suits and I watch a lot of Star Trek. Weird Huh) but it's still simple enough and to be fair I was never really a huge Superman fan though back in the day though I did watch the other Superman movies a lot back in the day so maybe I was a little and now he's come back in my life with this new movie. However some people didn't like Man of Steel and I guess I would respect those opinions because it's there opinions. But I hope people can respect my opinion. I see this film as something really good and I don't want to think the haters are goner criticise me for that because everyone is entitled to there own opinion. The Nostalgia Critic doesn't like the film (though I have heard that he considers it the worst superman movie ever made which is crazy because clearly Superman IV is the worst but again own opinion) but that's OK. I hope he at least respects his viewers and others (the lovers of the film that is) who actually do love Man of Steel on there own opinions because that's one of the things I like about him, he hates stuff but at least he respects the lovers of the stuff he hates on their own opinions.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2013, 12:35 am

So to summarise your post, as Whoopi Goldberg said: “Art and life are subjective. Not everybody's gonna dig what I dig, but I reserve the right to dig it.”

Not sure what instigated your post in the first place because I've not seen anyone attacking your tastes here; silence/non-responses don't automatically mean hate, it's just following the polite idiom of "if you've nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

I don't care for Man of Steel or Power Rangers or what have you, same way as people probably don't care about foriegn policy, non-English-language/non-mainstream cinema and anime without hetero fanservice or cutesy wittle girls who speak in baby voices... but we respect each others' opinions because variety makes up the spice of life and media exists to cater to an audience with tastes that won't always mesh with ours.

So tl;dr -- don't worry about it but don't harp on about it. Live and let live, I say.