Fictional Characters with Mental Disabilities...

Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 4:58 pm

DrizzleMan wrote:
Yupa wrote:
I'm currently reading the 'Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn' trilogy by Tad Williams and I've diagnosed several characters:

Simon- ADD
Rachel- OCD
Pryrates- ASPD
Tiamak- AS
Morgenes- AS
Cadrach/Padreic- PTSD

I just thought Simon was a boy, Rachel a mothering type, Morgenes a vague wizard, Pyrates the antagonist... :lol:

Morgenes: He did use 'the art', but I don't remember the books ever referring to him as a wizard. Anyhow, he preferred to be by himself, spent hours writing and studying, wasn't considered 'normal' by anyone else.... Yep, he sounds more than a bit aspie.
Tiamak was probably a case of AS for the same reasons, although his case seemed to've been a bit more extreme. (Not even the League of the Scroll considered him entirely 'normal')
Cadrach had PTSD because, well, he was haunted by Nisses' book. He was later tortured by Pryrates, which probably contributed to his feelings of post-traumatic stress.
Since a sociopath would be likely to torture someone, laugh as he ran over chickens, and help start a civil war solely for personal gain, Pryrates -must- be a sociopath.
And Rachel... well, she gets the sudden urge to clean up the kitchen anytime she notices even the slightest speck of dirt. Doesn't that sound OCD to you?

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 6:44 pm

I read a book as a child about a group of siblings. It was called "Dicey's song" by Cynthia Voigt. I don't know if any of you have read it or if you have if you remember it well but James (as I remember him) strikes me as an aspie.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 7:16 am

Yupa wrote:
Morgenes: He did use 'the art', but I don't remember the books ever referring to him as a wizard. Anyhow, he preferred to be by himself, spent hours writing and studying, wasn't considered 'normal' by anyone else.... Yep, he sounds more than a bit aspie.
Tiamak was probably a case of AS for the same reasons, although his case seemed to've been a bit more extreme. (Not even the League of the Scroll considered him entirely 'normal')
Cadrach had PTSD because, well, he was haunted by Nisses' book. He was later tortured by Pryrates, which probably contributed to his feelings of post-traumatic stress.
Since a sociopath would be likely to torture someone, laugh as he ran over chickens, and help start a civil war solely for personal gain, Pryrates -must- be a sociopath.
And Rachel... well, she gets the sudden urge to clean up the kitchen anytime she notices even the slightest speck of dirt. Doesn't that sound OCD to you?

I'll agree with you that the characters can be considered that way, but a lot of fictional characters are (slightly?) exaggerated. Almost all bad guys are psychopaths; that's why they're bad :P I doubt most writers sit down to 'write a psychopath' or 'write a PTSD sufferer'...

Jekyll
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2006, 11:23 am

I think Albus Dumbledore has AS; he loves socks, he says very strange things, and he always seems to be in his own world. He is also obsessed with either time-turners or clocks (haven't read the series lately); they're everywhere in his office. He also keeps strange pets (Fawkes, the phoenix, for example). I would love to have a phoenix as a pet.

I also believe the main character of The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield, has Asperger Syndrome, and perhaps even MCDD (Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder). He cannot communicate with people, he cannot voice his frustration over Allie's (his little brother) death, he has a sort of fear of his parents, he drinks frequently, he often forgets things (like when he left the fencing foils on the subway), he hates phony people, and he frequently entertains the thought of suicide.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2006, 10:37 am

Enrique Borgos in Lois McMaster Bujold's "A Civil Campaign", decidedly AS. Obsessed with his butterbugs, calls them his "girls", forgets to wash or change his shirt, and as his exasperated business partner (Mark Pierre Vorkosigan, PTSD) says hopefully, "He had acquired a social grace. Perhaps he might acquire another one."

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2006, 7:35 pm

I think Violet from The Incredibles has AS. She speaks in a rather monotone voice, and is very shy, plus she seemed to get quite confused and unsure of what was expected of her when her mother asked her to use a force field for the first time, also finding it difficult to break away from the rules against using her powers that had been enforced on her previously.

Also, a lot of fans have speculated that Ryuichi from Gravitation has Multiple Personality Disorder. Most of the time he acts very childlike and always seems to be in his own world, but then there are occasions throughout the series when he changes and becomes serious, often with a slight bad attitude (in the manga at least).

Help revive ReBoot!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2006, 9:15 pm

huey freeman from the boondocks is an aspie.

talking that properly that young with that kind of interest in politics and sociology? gotta be an aspie.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 5:54 pm

xemnas is either autistic or he's obsessive compulsive, come on now all the 13th order members wear the same clothes. he also focuses completely on hearts or kingdom hearts through the whole damn thing. someone made a real good picture about his love for hearts. he also has a monotone voice i'm serious play the game and it ain't because he has no heart the others actually have some form of pitch in their voices, not him.

come on you know he loves hearts :)

now saix those who played the game know he's bipolar or something like that. come on 1 second he's calm the next he's ready to rip your heart out. yeah!! beserk mode!!
i say his beserk mode makes him an interesting character cause you wonder would set him off next. one person made him go beserk when a clock rings

sorry bout the pics but at least there's something to look at right. i suck you can say it.
xemnas: you suck.
NOT YOU!!
xemnas: *grins*

i don't know what's up with marluxia but people make him really effemminte and gay and stuff. and i have to get some out right now. PLAY COM YOU PEOPLE HE DOES NOT ACT LIKE THAT AT ALL!! ! i mean seriously they make him so ooc it's not even funny, i actually was happy when i found one of him acting normal. i mean it makes a good joke but soon it will just get old. just like a few 13th order jokes that i've seen.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 9:10 pm

Xemnas isn't mentally disabled, he is insane. The deeper meaning of the game is that he is a man obsessed with knowledge to the point that he thinks he is willing to lose everything, then loses it and tries to use the knowledge that he thought to be all powerful to bring back to him what he truly wants. In doing so, he holds on to an illusion slowly corroded away the interior of his mind to the point of insanity. Sai'x is similar, if not the same. I'd argue Riku more than anyone else in that game.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 10:05 pm

xemnas really doesn't strike me as insane naw that's more like sephiroth the one who wanted to destroy the world with a huge rock.

and that holding on to something to the point that your willing to give everything up, well i've got that how do i know well i've got story in my head that i've had for 7 years and slowy it is taking over and i can't stop it because i don't want to and if stollen from me i'd give anything to have it back and if i lose it i'll kill myself.

so either i'm insane or what because there is alot that he does that i would do.
yep that must be it.
i'm insane.

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2006, 3:52 am

Interesting topic. Actually I wondered if maybe Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid series (my obsession!) has a bit of AS in him. I care about him alot, but I think its because I can relate to him too. Some of these traits in him would be:

- a social recluse. He lived alone in Alaska for a long time, and plus he tells Meryl in the game "I've never been interested in other people's lives. People just complicate my life. I don't like to get involved" But he quickly becomes interested in her. He seems to distance himself from people, but he certainly cares about some of them, and he certainly feels emotions.

-he's not exactly smooth with words. Sometimes he blurts out things which are rather rude, but I don't think he does it on purpose, I think part of it is his perfectionism, he wants to make sure the mission is accomplished and doesn't want to waste his time with people who can't keep up.

-he seems a bit dense sometimes, and he is easily taken advantage of, even though he has a very high IQ.

And there is another character, and its practically the same exact character, but has some slight differences. I'm talking about his 'dad', or atleast the man who is the origin of his clone DNA: "Big Boss" BB isn't as rude as Solid Snake, and he expresses more emotions a bit more easily, however from what I can tell, he MUST be obsessed with weapons. There is one cutscene of Metal Gear Solid 3 where he freaks out over a gun - and starts appreciating all the fine details that went into it. When he starts carving into the handle, he looks like he is very concentrated on that and pretty much ignoring Eva. Later in the radio, if you get him talking about this weapon again, he goes into an even LONGER explanation of every single part and bit of it. He must be an expert on the subject.

Another interesting thing is that BB seems rather clueless about pop culture references. It would appear that he has never seen ANY movie (perhaps to avoid Vampire movies :wink: Fans will get that, lol)

I can especially relate to his pain and his rejection, but then again who doesn't?

And both of them appear to have some strange obsession with boxes! :D

I might be wrong. But in any case he is QUITE interesting and really struck a chord with me, beyond just being so sexy that it blows my mind. It could explain some things if he has AS, but if he has it, I would say very high functioning because he doesn't appear 'disabled' at all really. Just freakin awesome.

ozkaz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2006, 10:26 pm

:D i ve just seen punch drunk love , a movie with adam sandler. i was sure i was watching a autistic person. the voilence of the character is not cool but if u see the movie pl tell me what u think. i dont like monk belittles the charater too much.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2006, 8:48 pm

I think Ed, Edd, and Eddy from Ed, Edd, 'N Eddy are all aspies. Ed is obsessed with science fiction; Double Dee (Edd) is obsessed with cleaning, and Eddy is obsessed with selling things. Double Dee also has a lot of information in a variety of subjects, is obsessed with wearing that hat, and doesn't have a lot of physical coordination. Also, all the Eds aren't good at talking to Nazz either. Johnny might be an aspie because he carries Plank around, but he might not be.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2006, 8:55 pm

I also think Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes and Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory also are aspies. Calvin usually visualizes fantasies in his mind, like Spaceman Spiff and dinosaurs, is obsessed with tigers, and carries Hobbes around. He also isn't that good at regular sports except football and Calvinball, his made-up sport, and imagines things such as his food being alive and doesn't eat a lot of food, which might be from sensory sensitivities. Dexter's obsessive interests are math and science and he isn't that physically coordinated either.

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 5:10 am

The Simpsons
Homer Simpson- Tourett's and metaly ret*d
Bart- AD/HD and Tourett's
Lisa- AS
Mr Burns-Depression

Scooby Doo
Velma- AS

Doctor Who
Doctor-AS, GAD, ODD and AD/HD (depends on the apperence)
Daleks-ODD and AS
Cybermen- Depression and ODD

Rugrats/All grown up
Chuckie-Dyspraxia and dyscalcular
Angelica-ODD
Dil-AS

SpongeBob
SpongeBob-Down's syndrome
Patrick- Mentaly ret*d
Squidward- Depression
Gary the snail-AS

Robot Jones
Robot-AS and colour blind
Dad Unit- Colour blind
Shannon- dyspraxia

Hitch hikers Guide
Marvin- depression

Tracy Beaker
Tracy- ODD

Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Willy Wonka-AS
Veruca-ODD
Mike- AS and ODD
Charlie-AS

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2006, 4:49 pm

Oh, yeah, Smeagol (Gollum) definitely has Multiple Personality Disorder. (I might have mentioned this before.) I think Squidward and Gary the Snail are aspies. I also think SpongeBob is, well, he might just be really gullible or have Asperger's.