Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

0hanrahan
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2008, 3:46 pm

I am addicted to the show now, something that happened when I was on a history kick, looked up another movie that then led me to Rome. All roads lead to Rome.

I found myself identifying with two of the main characters: Lucius Vorenus and Octavian the younger. After some study, reading of fan reactions and such, I saw that both have very Aspie like traits, just with different outlets. young boy Octavian is the epitome of the more introspective brainiac, with a little emo to boot. Very intelligent and wise, but socially out of touch.

Lucius is a soldier and very stalwart and steadfast. He is a good battle strategist, but apparently hardwired to follow the rules. He has the battle smarts and vision to be a great prefect, soldier or commander, but lacks the social cunning and ruthlessnes to be a Marc Anthony or a Julius Caesar. He is a dutiful man-machine that is very out of place in civilian life. Much like a human soldierly "Data" (Star Trek NG). Although I can often be a maverick, I feel success in being loyal, efficient and dutiful. I want to be respected because of my work, not for being "liked", and I refuse to give friends/pals quarter or easy outs when at work.

I like Pullo very much, as he reminds me of some of my old best friends. Pullo has the spirit I would love to have for a week or if possible, for life. I also admire Julius Caesar for his sheer ruler genius. He is masterful. Marc Antony has much of the same cunning possessed by Caesar, but he lacks restraint; too libidinous and arrogant.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:03 pm

I watched the first episodes up until Caeser was murdered and Lucius' wife killed herself. I don't have HBO anymore...would love to watch the rest.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:16 pm

Yeah, there's no mistaking the fact that it's a very good series. Definitely worth watching if you have the time.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:32 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I don't have HBO anymore...would love to watch the rest.

Netflix (USA) has the whole series. Is there a Netflix equivalent in the UK? (Assuming that is where your Fleet Street is . . .)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:43 pm

Series 1 was fantastic - especially the final episode. which i wont spoil.

Warning to the OP: I usually avoid threads on stories which i havent yet seen, (making a mental note to read them afterwards) The concept of 'no spoilers' is unfortunately beyond the comprehension of some people ;)

Another HBO show thats really lives up to its hype is 'the wire' Not historical, but very clever & immersive - featuring an obsessively intricate and expansive plot with strong political undertones.