Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2005, 1:18 am

Do people really watch these things? Whats the attraction? Do Aspies watch them?

Frankly, I can't stand them, and I'm tired of seeing them take over formerly quality programming on channels like Animal Planet, The Learning Channel, and Discovery Channel.

On Animal Planet, its all those ridiculous animal police shows. They run those into the ground, and it seems like every month, a new animal cop series comes out. I used to love that channel, with its nature documentaries (I'm a biology nut) and educational series. Now I can barely stand to watch it because all I see is animal cops and Planet's Funniest Animals. :roll:

I have beef with Fear Factor, and their torment of various insects and arachnids. Hundreds of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches in a bucket to be ground up alive or dumped on some foolish human? 'Nuff said. Same thing happened with Chilean Rose Hair tarantulas years ago. I'm sure many, many of those poor sweet creatures suffered for the entertainment of mindless humans. :evil: Lets not forget the danger to the human! New world tarantulas have a patch of special hairs on their butt called urticating hairs. The tarantulas can actually rub these hairs off and the hairs stick into the skin, eyes, or lungs if they are breathed in. They itch very badly and cause an almost immediate allergic reaction. If they get into the eyes, they can cause blindness. If they get into the lungs, they can cause suffocation. One tarantula has the potential to kill a small mammal (ex: mouse) with a cloud of these hairs. A bucket full of tarantulas could potentially do this to a human. So not only are such things cruel to animals, but humans as well.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 1:39 am

I sprayed a spider with roach poison and it died. Then today I ate a boneless rib-eye steak. Is that stuff on the show so much worse? Considering a bucket of insects is hardly a significant amount.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 1:45 am

I think reality shows are stupid, too(I'm also a documentary addict) however American Idol is a guilty pleasure of mine.

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2005, 3:07 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
I sprayed a spider with roach poison and it died. Then today I ate a boneless rib-eye steak. Is that stuff on the show so much worse? Considering a bucket of insects is hardly a significant amount.

Would it have been so hard to put the poor spider outside, or are you afraid of spiders? Judging by your avatar, it doesn't look like you would be... So I'm guessing it was just a cowardly act of machoism. :roll:

Whereas cows die to make food, insects are tormented and killed because of people's misguided fears, a show of how macho they can be to kill a defenseless spider, or for their sick entertainment. :evil:

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2005, 10:49 am

I think these shows are made because they are inexpensive and once people have bought in, they can do almost anything. Sad to say insects get a bad press, are cheap to buy and store and are usually outside any protective legislation.

NBEAP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2005, 11:02 am

i actually like em.
there just a fun way to rest, and think about how stupid these people are... :wink:

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2005, 11:39 am

The dumbest reality shows are the ones that involve romance. The Bachelor and Bachelorette are so dumb. Why do these women fall for the same guy? Why would anyone want to marry someone after dating them for only 1 month? Why is everyone in such a hurry to hook up?

computerwidow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2005, 12:54 pm

I'm guilty of using insecticides myself, but I cannot stand to see any creature harmed for the sake of entertainment. And that goes double for humans expected to make marriage decisions after knowing each other only a short time. I once enjoyed the home decorating reality shows, but the trend lately has been away from the decorating decisions and focusing more on the interpersonal conflicts involved (so much more dramatic! :roll: ), so I'm through with that.

I think that viewers will eventually get tired of the reality shows, and then they won't be so profitable. And then this whole rotten business will have run its course.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 3:03 pm

I watched Fear Factor once. There was people with bees all over them and everyone had to look for keys to get em out.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 5:41 pm

I sort of enjoy reality TV. Watching stupid people is great entertainment!

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:49 pm

I had to leave the room at work when Fear Factor was on and they were putting (dead) rats in a blender - it was just horrible - poor rats . . . and who knows how they were killed . . .

Generally I hate reality TV because it isn't real - it is set up - and I agree about not being able to find a decent documentary on Discovery, Animal Planet, or Science Channel anymore . . . but I have to admit that I do like 'Airline' - but it REALLY is real - so I don't think it counts as one of those stupid reality shows . . .

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:56 pm

I too miss documentaries. I don't have cable anyways. And because most of TV is (un)reality TV and boring dramas, I don't watch any.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 9:52 pm

I like some reality tv shows. Some provide entertainment for me.

NBEAP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2005, 4:40 pm

animallover wrote:
I had to leave the room at work when Fear Factor was on and they were putting (dead) rats in a blender - it was just horrible - poor rats . . . and who knows how they were killed . . .

and what about the cow brains?
and pigs eyes???
:?

Spitfire
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2005, 1:32 pm

Thank god Big Brother in the UK has finished, because I hate that show!

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 11:00 am

Mockingbird wrote:
I think reality shows are stupid, too(I'm also a documentary addict) however American Idol is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I agree, though the best part of that show is the BAD singers.

aaronkt wrote:
The dumbest reality shows are the ones that involve romance. The Bachelor and Bachelorette are so dumb. Why do these women fall for the same guy? Why would anyone want to marry someone after dating them for only 1 month? Why is everyone in such a hurry to hook up?

I know. You've been one of several dozen women/men this person has been choosing from like apples in a supermarket for one month??? If I was on for love or money I'd totally take the cash if I were picked. Trust me, as a single chick with a million dollars to my name, I would not have a problem getting a date with someone else when I returned to society. The point is moot though because I'm not anorexically thin. ((I would heartily advocate an Average Jane show- like THAT'S gonna happen!! !))

((And yes, I have watched episodes of these shows, much to my own disgust. Basic cable, people- I live alone, I get bored! Having said this I have not watched any reality shows recently save for one episode of "So you think you can dance." That show's not terrible, just kind of monotonous and pointless.))