Real life celebrities who have or probably have Aspergers

Page 9 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

truthseeker1972
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2010, 10:02 pm

I recently read a book called Hitler's Vienna: A Dictator's Apprenticeship by Brigitte Hamann. It is a biography of Hitler's early 20s when he was an "art student" in Vienna.

After reading that book, I am very much inclined to believe that Hitler had Asperger's. Just one man's opinion here.

truthseeker1972
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

One other famous person, an author actually, who I suspect might be an "Aspie" is Robert Greene, the author of The 48 Laws of Power (and a few other books about strategy).

zakkman
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2010, 10:32 am

Adam Ant
Marty Balin
Ludwig van Beethoven
Tim Burton
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
Lewis Carroll
Steve Clark
Kurt Cobain
Billy Corgan
Rivers Cuomo
Ian Curtis
Charles Darwin
Albert Einstein
John Frusciante
Matthew Good
Adolph Hitler
Jack Irons
Billy Joel
Stanley Kubrick
John Lennon
Abraham Lincoln
Brian May
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Robert Munsch
Dave Mustaine
Isaac Newton
Gary Numan
George Orwell
Ozzy Osbourne
Edgar Allan Poe
Joey Ramone
Trent Reznor
Axl Rose
J.K. Rowling
Rick Savage
Slash
Layne Staley
Peter Steele
Mark Twain
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Warhol
Scott Weiland

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 2:02 pm

zakkman wrote:
Adam Ant
Marty Balin
Ludwig van Beethoven
Tim Burton
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
Lewis Carroll
Steve Clark
Kurt Cobain
Billy Corgan
Rivers Cuomo
Ian Curtis
Charles Darwin
Albert Einstein
John Frusciante
Matthew Good
Adolph Hitler
Jack Irons
Billy Joel
Stanley Kubrick
John Lennon
Abraham Lincoln
Brian May
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Robert Munsch
Dave Mustaine
Isaac Newton
Gary Numan
George Orwell
Ozzy Osbourne
Edgar Allan Poe
Joey Ramone
Trent Reznor
Axl Rose
J.K. Rowling
Rick Savage
Slash
Layne Staley
Peter Steele
Mark Twain
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Warhol
Scott Weiland

A lot of those people were mentally ill (and in Kurt Cobain's case, he had ADD). Mental illness isn't the same as Asperger's.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

Delirium wrote:
zakkman wrote:
Adam Ant
Marty Balin
Ludwig van Beethoven
Tim Burton
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
Lewis Carroll
Steve Clark
Kurt Cobain
Billy Corgan
Rivers Cuomo
Ian Curtis
Charles Darwin
Albert Einstein
John Frusciante
Matthew Good
Adolph Hitler
Jack Irons
Billy Joel
Stanley Kubrick
John Lennon
Abraham Lincoln
Brian May
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Robert Munsch
Dave Mustaine
Isaac Newton
Gary Numan
George Orwell
Ozzy Osbourne
Edgar Allan Poe
Joey Ramone
Trent Reznor
Axl Rose
J.K. Rowling
Rick Savage
Slash
Layne Staley
Peter Steele
Mark Twain
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Warhol
Scott Weiland

A lot of those people were mentally ill (and in Kurt Cobain's case, he had ADD). Mental illness isn't the same as Asperger's.

Yes. Who didnt have asperger's?

gravl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

Comedian Adam Carolla
Among other things I've heard guests on his podcast remark on his lack of eye contact

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:55 pm

Delirium wrote:

True. What a freaking bizarro list. Looks like they guy added whoever he admired onto that list. The great "I dig them, so they must be on the spectrum like me" rationale. Cobain wasn't AS. Geesh. Since when was desperately seeking to be a famous rock star to have people love you and approve of you so you can to overcome your own self-loathing, only to find out that's not how life works, is a criterion for AS?

Ian Curtis wasn't autistic either--bipolar. Same too with Jack Irons--he's dx'd with bipolar. Adam Ant? Sorry, wrong New Wave musician--it's Gary Numan who has AS (dx'd). Ozzy and John Frusciante--both came from difficult childhoods, both have symptoms of PTSD (and with Frusciante, possible schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder too), both have a long history of self-destructive behavior. No clear evidence they are on the spectrum, but clearly both mentally ill.

Dave Mustaine--oh god lord. The guy's a pompous jerk who talks too much, but that doesn't make him an Aspie.

Slash and Axl Rose? Seriously? Because Aspies just love that L.A. heavy metal world of the late 80's, huh? All that loud music and crowds and the artificial lights of the Sunset Strip? Slash is cool, but no Aspie; Rose is just a narcissist, delusional burn-out.

I will agree that Beethoven and Isaac Newton likely had AS. But Twain? No.

Rowlings? No, she's just a compassionate mother who drew on that to write her books.

But by and large, just because someone's creative or quirky, has a different view of the world, had a nervous breakdown, or is awkward in the public eye doesn't make them an Aspie.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 8:06 pm

Delirium wrote:
zakkman wrote:
Adam Ant
Marty Balin
Ludwig van Beethoven
Tim Burton
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
Lewis Carroll
Steve Clark
Kurt Cobain
Billy Corgan
Rivers Cuomo
Ian Curtis
Charles Darwin
Albert Einstein
John Frusciante
Matthew Good
Adolph Hitler
Jack Irons
Billy Joel
Stanley Kubrick
John Lennon
Abraham Lincoln
Brian May
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Robert Munsch
Dave Mustaine
Isaac Newton
Gary Numan
George Orwell
Ozzy Osbourne
Edgar Allan Poe
Joey Ramone
Trent Reznor
Axl Rose
J.K. Rowling
Rick Savage
Slash
Layne Staley
Peter Steele
Mark Twain
Eddie Van Halen
Andy Warhol
Scott Weiland

Kurt was Bipolar not ADD.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 7:19 pm

I think the list was just people that might have it, and for people to comment on it. Of course not everyone on that list has AS. Even if they were all suspected, what are the chances they all had it? And even then, what's the difference between "having" AS and not "having" AS? Where is the cutoff point? How bad do you have to be at social interaction before you officially have AS?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 5:33 am

matrixluver wrote:
many in the field suspect Keanu Reeves.

LOL!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

Daryl Hannah actualy has a diagosis.

After some of the things they say in Invader Zim, I'm convinded Jhonen Vasquez is somewhere on the spectrum or at least knows someone who is.

pattheaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm

I Really think Tim Burton Is An Aspie, Helena Bonham Carter thinks So Too.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kieth Olbermann, of MSNBC's Countdown with Kieth Olbermann has often been included on lists of celebrities with Asperger's. He grew up collecting baseball cards, a passion he never grew out of, and went on to becoming a sportscaster. These days, he's a far left leaning political commentator, who has a monomaniacal rage against far right fruit cakes and bigots.
I've seen H.P. Lovecraft included on the list - which I agree, he doubtlessly was. But his fellow fantasy writer, Robert E. Howard, who gave the world Conan the Barbarian, I am certain was also an Aspie.

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I've read in that new ESPN book that someone stated that "Olbermann is a genius, but he has the social skills of a special needs student." Might have been Dan Patrick, Bob Levy, Rich Eisen, who had said that about Olbermann, during their days in ESPN.

I've heard someone suggest Jon Heder before, too, Although I haven't took a look myself.

I think that a lot of these people mentioned could be PDD-NOS, if not Aspergers (ex. Daryl Hannah). I think labeling ASDs could be better with some of these names. I have PDD-NOS, and have similar characteristics as someone with AS, but I don't think I have it. Actually I was closer to Autism than AS when I was in the single digits anyways....

But it's still all in the ASD....

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

Well, I'm pretty convinced Eva Cassidy was an Aspie after reading extensively about her!! :wink:

I also think Susan Boyle from Britain's Got Talent has it as well. Siobhan Magnus probably has it, too, although I'm nothing like her at all.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

How about Jesse Eisenberg?

He needs to act — and not just to keep busy, or keep paying his bills. He needs to act to keep his balance.
“I have a lot of personal anxieties,” he says, sitting in a New York hotel room. “And I’ve realized that playing a character stuck in a life-or-death situation like this allows me to release those anxieties in a very healthful, cathartic way.”
But his characters usually have a few things in common. They’re extremely bright. They’re extremely verbal. And yet they often seem more than a little confused about what people around them expect, emotionally — and exactly how they’re supposed to supply it.
They are characters, in other words, not unlike Jesse Eisenberg, who admits he finds playing people like that “gives me some direction for my erratic inner life.”
“I had a really tough time. But that’s not New Jersey’s fault. That’s my own psyche’s fault. Now as an adult living in New York City, I miss the suburbs. But growing up, in the kind of homogenous community I did, if you didn’t fit in the role that was sort of prepared for you, it could be very, very difficult.”
It got more difficult when school began.
“I really, really struggled,” he says. “I would cry every day. I went nuts, ended up missing a whole year. I just can’t — I can’t exist in normal group situations. A classroom, where you have to sort of jockey for position, compete for attention — I would just withdraw. I literally didn’t know how to function.”
“Performing gives you a very clear set of directives,” he says. “You have this role that’s written out for you, the person you’re talking to has a role that’s written out for them and — at least as long as you’re on stage or the cameras are rolling — everything has this structure and this set of rules. You know your place. You don’t have to account for your own personality. And it creates this entirely fake social environment which can be very, very comforting.”
It’s not as if Eisenberg’s work is his life. Not quite. But the constant work certainly helps his life — even though the business itself can be pretty cold and callous.
“I sort of pretend I’m not even in the industry,” he says. “I don’t own a television. I never go to Los Angeles. I even trick myself into being surprised when I’m sent a script. I try to ignore everything except the actual experience of acting. Which in itself is kind of silly. I mean, sometimes I take a step back and I think, being an actor — it’s ridiculous, really, you’re not adding anything to the world. Why would anyone do this? But then other times I think, my God — how can anyone do anything else?”

Then again, he might just be someone who loves acting and has some anxiety issues (especially when doing interviews) and that's it. :)
Still like him.

zakkman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2011, 3:08 am

I still stand by the fact that Billy Corgan most likely has Asperger's, I have Asperger's and his life resembles mine very closely, and his music is the one thing that keeps me sane.