Page 3 of 23 [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2010, 12:31 pm

I just lived in India for four months, trying to do an ethnography on Indian autistics. Since I was limited to Visag due to particular issues, I couldn't go up to New Delhi for some autism outreach groups I had heard about. I would have gone down to talk to the people at NIMHANS in Bangalore, but no such luck.

@AndyG: From what I found, you're pretty well spot-on...

sameerspt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2010, 9:42 am

For the first time, I have this feeling of conglomeration of emotions where i find a typical name for the qualities i had, the deficiencies i had, the kinda of thinking nodes i had and the patterns my brain followed which in which i always had faith in. Its great to find similar kinda people and some of the mind working processes that i can observe through posts of the members in various fora.
I live a lot of my life inside my brain and have other typical traits which about which i would write later on.
Nice to meet all indians here though i see very few only.

gannu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2010, 9:14 am

Hi am Ganesh S from India ....Kerala to be specific...

I am working based on Oman...

It is a such a relief to find people who share common feelings...
It seems but the discussion is some what more drifting away from the issues i guess...

gannu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2010, 9:40 am

I never knew that such a syndrome existed.. Out of desperation or anxiety arising out of my mental condition of unable to socializing (or Understand people) with people not matching my interest or age group for many years I was desperately searching for answers...Then i came to know of condition of thousands of people like me....

As i was leading a bachelor life for the last few years when ever i used to visit home i had a really bad time coz i had to meet a relatives, attend a lot of religious function (I share a lot of agnostic side of religion which made matter more worse)....Also my parents are also one of the best socializing uman beings of my loaclity which makes matter worser for me..Fortunately i came across one of my neighbour who had experience in dealing with such cases...

The job has really helped me coz its in a sh***y little oil field town in a desert (Most of the normal people with me get mental shock returning to the place after their vacation)...SO i dont have to meet a lot of people often (:P, Belssing in disguise )...The sad part is the prime of my youth is getting wasted .....

Ganesh

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:30 pm

Welcome to wrongplanet sameerspt and gannu :D ! !

AspieForty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2010, 1:19 pm

gannu wrote:
Kerala to be specific...
It is a such a relief to find people who share common feelings...

It is a smaller world than you think.

Kerala... I have never been there, but I have many times wanted to visit India.
Besides Gandhi (the obvious), Everyone loves Gandhi...

I also am acquainted with a Zoologist who lives in Kerala, India. He collects video clips around the world of variegated species, from which he is creating as a "teaching aide" for life science (the five kingdoms) -- and my childrens' doctor, here in U.S. is also from Kerala state in India. She returns to India, every year and offers medical services to children.

The people of India are fascinating with a very rich history.

"Chaos, Panic, Pandemonium, My Work Here Is Done."

Chrism929
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2010, 1:49 pm

Hi - just to introduce myself - I'm new to this site and forum and even to discovering there was a name for what's always been different about how my brain works. So it's been a revelation and I'm just learning about it now.

I'm not Indian but I did live near Bangalore, and later in New Delhi, for some time when I was young and have had family ties there ever since. Going back and forth between cultures several times at that age was kind of like being Aspie anywhere - never quite understanding what was going on. But always fascinating. So I hope you don't mind if I lurk in your thread, here. I am still very interested in anything to do with India since a part of me grew up there, and there's nothing where I live now in the US that connects with that part of my brain, except what I find on the Internet.

I'm sure this sounds stupid, but I've started studying Hindi (I'm halfway through the alphabet at this point). I was an English major in college, and Hindi interests me for some of the same reasons that English does. And for two or three years I've been obsessed with Indian movies (mostly Hindi ones since they're the most available here). The only other online forum I've spent much time on is BollyWhat, where there are plenty of discussions by people from all over the world, who are fans of the movies. And so I have to ask, has everyone seen My Name is Khan? I loved it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 1:00 am

I'm just curious to those living in India and have seen the Taj Mahal.

Is it as pretty as this pic portrays it?

Now be honest...

Chrism929
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2010, 1:31 pm

I'd like to hear what Indians who have seen it think, too. I'm not Indian but when I lived in India I visited it twice over the years. It's one of the most beautiful buildings in the world and worth seeing for that even if you've seen a lot of other unique buildings. And if you go there, you can see it from different angles, too, so you get the whole effect of it in 3-D. It's not just meant to be seen from the front, and I remember being struck that it was beautful from all angles. So it's interesting to visit it in that context, for instance to see it from the other fort across the water.

But what I remember really impressed me, that made it special for me, was that when you get up close, the walls are inlaid with beautiful patterns of semiprecious stones. That's something you don't usually hear about. So it's not just a beautful artwork from a distance, it also has that up-close dimension that makes experiencing it in person more, well, personal. Because of the inlays it draws you in, as you walk closer to it.

Also they always say to see it in moonlight, and it sounds like such a cliche, but if you can catch it that way, not only does the marble glow a little in that light, but also the inlays reflect the different kind of light in a subtle way. I remember all this from long ago so you can see it made an impression on me. But as I say it's a long time since I was there; there might have been changes in accessibility or whatever... and I've been concerned to hear about pollution as the urban areas grew, and the damage it might be doing to the surfaces.

anybody else?

andgomorrah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2010, 3:10 pm

I'm June, from Kolkata. Hi, I hope I am posting in the right bit of the forum...

AndyG
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2010, 4:53 pm

Welcome, andg

Regarding the Taj Mahal, I saw it as a kid in the 70's. Yes, it was breathtaking as I expected. But one thing that was so unfortunate was that some of the semi-precious inlaid stones had been stolen.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 2:09 am

Dhawal wrote:
I have logged onto this Frappr map, so that others can find me -
http://www.frappr.com/wrongplanet

Maybe you guys would like to join in as well?

Damn! The Frappr site is no more.

There's a member called Tahitiii who's made this as a possible replacement -
Map for all Earthbound members of WrongPlanet

Sabu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

Now be honest...

Its was beautiful, it will be beautiful if and only if ASI and UP government could restore it correctly. In all the intricate details stupids are filling wrong colored materials. :? Idiots are ruining it all, look behind taj, the yamuna river, its more of filth a than a river. :evil:

Also to add to above, the marble is getting a bit yellowish due to the pollution.

Last edited by Sabu on 18 Jul 2010, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sabu

17 Jul 2010, 11:41 pm

andgomorrah wrote:
I'm June, from Kolkata. Hi, I hope I am posting in the right bit of the forum...

Welcome June...Nice to hear from you. This is Sabu.

Sabu

17 Jul 2010, 11:58 pm

Dhawal wrote:
Dhawal wrote:
I have logged onto this Frappr map, so that others can find me -
http://www.frappr.com/wrongplanet

Maybe you guys would like to join in as well?

Damn! The Frappr site is no more.

There's a member called Tahitiii who's made this as a possible replacement -
Map for all Earthbound members of WrongPlanet

Added myself.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 1:05 am

Sabu wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Now be honest...

Its was beautiful, it will be beautiful if and only if ASI and UP government could restore it correctly. In all the intricate details stupids are filling wrong colored materials. :? Idiots are ruining it all, look behind taj, the yamuna river, its more of filth a than a river. :evil:

Also to add to above, the marble is getting a bit yellowish due to the pollution.

Awww well I guess as long as its memory's alive in photographs and stories.