Page 21 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm

Ah... Well... I don't need those sites to be high on the end... they are there to provide information to whomever I point at them. I wouldn't even have the studio site, save for the fact that IMDB won't work with us... same for investors.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:23 am

Meh. Still can't sleep.

Makes sense.

I'm guessing you want IMDB to list your movies & such, but it's hard to tell from that sentence exactly.
Just for kicks, I took a look and apparently it's possible (though not necessarily advisible) to access their database of movie info programatically from a remote location.
Interesting to know, if nothing else.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:46 am

http://oracleofbacon.org/ does exactly that

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:30 am

>>>Part 62<<< - A bit more on special interests

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

>>>[b]Part 63[/b]<<< - The doomed land of Aspergia

MissMaria
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2014, 8:28 pm

Is there a section of "care and feeding" which focuses on change within the workplace?

I ask because I have a coworker who is definitely on the spectrum, but has never been diagnosed or referred for screening. (Apparently, his grandparents--who adopted him as a small child--thought they could just beat it out of him with a hickory switch.)

He was one of three staff members who were assigned to different workstations this past week. The last time he shifted workstations, which occurred nearly 2 years ago, he seemed okay with that change yet became very intolerant of any change whatsoever in nearly all other aspects of the job. Because I bore the brunt of that experience, which became a yearlong ordeal for me, and due to my own increased awareness, it's very important to me to do what I can to help make sure he remains as comfortable as possible despite the move.

Right now, he is not.

His new work space is so cramped, the door cannot be opened while he is seated at his desk. His desk is opposite to what's a best fit for that space. The desk cannot be re-assembled into a left-hand hutch and right-hand desk, nor can it be relocated within the space. The design of the desk and the layout of the space permit neither, and the other occupant of that room will not consent to have the room divider relocated 6" to 1' to the west (which would address the door issue).

The combination of the desk being "backward" to the space and the location of the electrical outlets within the room means that the equipment he uses most often must be placed so that it is not accessed with his dominant hand. PITA. He's reluctant to request longer monitor cables, which would address that, because most people would perceive the issue as petty.

Helping make sure he's comfortable is a hybrid between:
a) encouraging him to feel empowered to request for himself the changes he needs, rather than "making do" with something which is actually a collection of slow-burning triggers;
b) "brainstorming" with him, which helps him choose his battles wisely and/or follow his "rabbit trails" to their conclusions; and
c) being that other person who weighs in with "you know, he's actually got a point."

It doesn't include speaking on his behalf or fixing things for him. He's a grown-ass man from North Carolina--he can take care of himself!--I'm just one of the few people at work who sees it that way.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 3:54 am

I will give that some thought... I have touched on some of it, but not in a comprehensive manner...

The issue that he will have, at this juncture, is that without a diagnosis, under the ADA, he has no recourse. To get accommodations for any condition, it has to be diagnosed...

MissMaria

23 Mar 2014, 4:33 am

I think reframing the issues might help.

The door is an egress/fire safety issue.

The desk configuration is an OSHA health and safety issue due to repetitive motion injuries, which can be addressed by purchasing longer cables as that would permit the equipment on the desk to be reconfigured in a manner which avoids those repetitive motions.

Longer cables could also be a fire/electrical safety issue, as it is unsafe to stretch/pinch or "daisy chain" cables.

I want to be an informed friend and coworker as he navigates the 1001 other changes for which no one could reasonably be expected to "control" when changing workstations. Even though it's a good change overall, it's still a change.

If you've more thoughts on the matter, they'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:40 am

Well... This begs the question... Does he see the need for these changes in the work place?

And I am thinking... but slowly... BUSY week and weekend... and it's only 2/3 over.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:55 am

>>>Part 64<<< - Aspies and Religion

Ember7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2014, 7:38 pm

ThetaIn3D wrote:
Just saw this and haven't read the blog entry yet, but I love the name already. :D

Not that we're helpless, but I like the idea of "your Aspie" like we are a pet that needs a special regimen.

It makes me feel so loved ❤️

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:55 pm

Welcome to the terrarium... we got kibble over in the corner!

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

Just read part four ,i feel like i found my instruction manual.the toothpick thing was hilarious
Im having a hard time reading some of it though cause of the darker backgrounds.im gonna keep reading ,i don't know if you covered it yet;the role the internet can play in every aspect .
Im having a hard time to be specific on that without making this too long.
Knowledge,understanding,maybe helping with a diagnosis,management,coping
Hope this makes sense.keep up the good work.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

Rob, please hop on over to our new site http://www.savagelightstudios.com/warpedlens That should be cleared up for you, and it has an index

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

We just created a facebook group for Care and Feeding... and reached 50k hits...

facebook group HERE

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm

Part 65 - Okay… We’re going over it again… Vaccines don’t cause Autism