Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

Hi all,

Well I have decided to post here to say hello, and hopefully connect with others who I can understand/who can understand me. I'm a bit fed up at the mo, if I'm honest, as I just can't meet any genuine people; in all areas of life! This has been intensifying over the years, and I have gradually been retreating from Society as a result. All through my life though, I really have made a huge effort to socialize, have been in management, had relationships, friendships, and have been a public campaigner for various groups in Society, blah, blah!

I've recently been diagnosed with Aspergers, (in mid-life) and it's made sense to me 100%. However, there is zero support where I live for Adults with Aspergers, and even less if you have a high IQ/are independent.

I have often wished I could live in one of those areas in the US, that have cafes where intellectuals meet up (might sound very big headed) ... I honestly do feel like I'm on the wrong planet (have always felt this way), and urgently need to connect to the rest of my fellow travellers!. I'm also very much into Sci Fi, Space exploration .... perhaps my Space Pod landed on a different part of the Planet to everyone else?

Anyway, I can also be quite 'grounded' lol ... and I think I may be stuck here, so, if anyone can relate to what I'm saying please say hi (feel free to offer any tips/advice for a newly diagnosed person with Aspergers) :help:

Zazzy

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Human society certainly has an intellectual pecking order that makes no sense; neither function nor form. Do you have a an adult Asperger's Syndrome support group (or MeetUp group) in your community? Joining one, even once a month, might give you some of the intellectual friendships you want. Also, you might try joining a Mensa group in your area (if your IQ is at or above abt. 130.

Meanwhile, I hope you find some enjoyment with Wrong Planet.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

i'm just past mid-life and diagnosed myself three years ago. it was a relief to know what was going on. also high IQ and independent. i think you'll like wrong planet. you'll be able to help as well as be helped here. welcome.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

A pleasure to meet you, Zazzy. :)

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2014, 7:51 pm

Hey, thankyou for replying so quickly AspieUtah, Cathlynn, and UncannyDanny, and for your welcomes ... yes, I would definitely like to share with others how I've navigated the Maze of Life, if it helps. I agree connecting to the Aspergers grid can be a relief.

Unfortunately, no support groups locally. Normally I would just set one up myself, as I'm quite a Pioneer ... but currently due to illhealth, I just need to be able to turn up to something already established.

Yep, IQ is 130+ and am in the process of applying to Mensa, thanks for that suggestion, ... although the nearest meeting up point is a 3hr car journey 8O

Thanks again :D

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

Hey Zazzy welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

Hi RoadRatt! Thankyou for your welcome :D

Zazzy

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

ps RoadRatt ... just spotted the 'Firefly' quote - I LOVED that series, such a shame it wasn't renewed :roll:

Hi AnonymousAnonymous, thanks for saying hi :D

Zazzy

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 8:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Make yourself at home with us!

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

Hi fracturedrocket,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate that :) it's been a challenging couple of weeks, so finding your reply was nice

Zazzy

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm

Welcome!

Andrew Eldritch

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005241765169

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

Hi Ziggyramone, thanks for your kind welcome .... what's the name of the band your photo relates to?

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

The Cure

Andrew Eldritch

Zazzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2014, 9:18 pm

... thanks for that! I kept thinking the band was called 'Catz'! ! Very sad. I think they did do a song called Cool for Catz tho:)

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

Fellow alternative rock band Squeeze did a song called Cool For Cats, the Cure did a song called The Lovecats.

Andrew Eldritch