The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 986 of 1006 [ 16087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989 ... 1006  Next

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2013, 7:41 pm

Lurking Image and stimming away Image as usual....

I found a neat little utility for cleaning computer screens from the inside....

http://www.lingdao.fr/outils/nettoyeure ... screen.swf

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 6:26 pm

Justa bump, saying hi.

Was a bit worried, hadn't seen that file extension before, Richie, worked well. Thanks, lol :D

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 7:43 pm

Definitely feeling creaky and cranky here.... On the tenth of December I'm having a cochlear implant, on the 23rd the first stage will be turned on. One hopes this will lead to less isolation, but as I'll still be aspie, one doubts.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:11 pm

Surgery went well. Recovery is not fun, but doable. The first level activation is scheduled for 23rd. Am told there is a learning curve 6mons to a year. I hope all of you are doing well.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 9:37 pm

Lelia, how goes the recovery? What sort of things happen in the learning curve?

Edited to add > I hope no one has the holidays blues.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 12:16 pm

Hi, Alpineglow, I'm feeling better today. The past few days were unhappy as pain in my arm grew and grew until I thought my arm had somehow broken. After eight hours in urgent care and then ER and an ultrasound, it was discovered that the vein that had received the IV had gotten irritated and grew a blood clot. So. On doses of coumadin and today see my primary doctor to have levels of coumadin checked. Yesterday I picked something off the floor without feeling pressure on stitches behind my ear, so that swelling is going down.
I do miss Christmas music. Maybe I will hear next year's music?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:05 pm

That is such a relief when the feeling better part begins. :) I hope you hear music much sooner than next Christmas. Glad the pain was diagnosed properly and treated. Lelia, forgive me here I put in my 2¢ about the coumadin: it scares me, because when my mom went on it, it messed her up. Make sure the doctor(s) are "on top of it" and as soon as health allows, take you off of the coumadin.

lelia wrote:
Hi, Alpineglow, I'm feeling better today. The past few days were unhappy as pain in my arm grew and grew until I thought my arm had somehow broken. After eight hours in urgent care and then ER and an ultrasound, it was discovered that the vein that had received the IV had gotten irritated and grew a blood clot. So. On doses of coumadin and today see my primary doctor to have levels of coumadin checked. Yesterday I picked something off the floor without feeling pressure on stitches behind my ear, so that swelling is going down.
I do miss Christmas music. Maybe I will hear next year's music?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 8:27 pm

Hey Alpineglow. Yes, the coumadin levels are being closely monitered. Another test tomorrow. So what happened to your mom?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm

Hi again lelia, if I remember correctly, and to be accurate she was already ill from some other conditions, a lot of small blood clots developed in her lungs. It was a long time ago, (1999) - and we always suspected that her doctors were not paying enough attention to her as they should have.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 11:00 am

So I'm off tomorrow to see the surgeon and tell him about the blood clot and how the stitches got infected so now I'm taking coumadin and antibiotics. Woke up tired. Don't think there will be any activation tomorrow.
How I love google glasses at the theater. Yesterday got to see The Desolation of Smaug. What a fun movie! Though I kept wondering if Orlando Bloom was playing two parts in the movie, because Bard looked just like Legolas to me. No, just prosopagnosia kicking in again.
I am becoming a Martin Freeman fan. Went from Desolation (where he plays Bilbo Baggins) to home to watch another episode of Sherlock Holmes with Martin Freeman as James Watson. Still a little ticked they ended episode three in a cliff-hanger that is only resolved in the online blog of James Watson. Sort of feel like they (the producers) violated a contract with me.
Ha, I was telling my brother how much Bilbo reminded me of Arthur Denton in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and he told me the same actor played both. Oh.....
There will be a lot of beautiful music in church today. I love Christmas carols. Too bad I won't be able to hear any of them. Well, I can look at the pretty lights.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 1:01 pm

Glad you're talking with the surgeon tomorrow, lelia.
I'm intrigued - please tell more about google glasses at the theater.
Sorry about the Christmas carols not being heard. I hope your memories of them sort of fill in for the missing sounds and music.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

Hey Alpine: yeah, I read the lyrics slowly and remember the music.
The google glasses at the theater are also called captioning glasses. They show the captioning on the lens so you can adjust them and put the words anywhere you want on the screen. So now I know what everybody is saying!! !! ! They will even tell you sound effects like: howling, music, continued music, clatter, mechanical sounds, whirring etc. After a couple hours of wearing the heavy things, my nose bridge really hurts, but I consider that a small price to pay to be able to go to theater showings again and see films on a big screen. Not all theaters have the glasses, but Regal does. I went from understanding three words per movie to understanding all of them. What a difference that makes! The plots may be stupid, but at least now I know there are plots, and I can laugh at what everyone else is laughing at. Of course, if a noise or an intonation is silly, I'm still not going to pick up on that. I wonder if I will catch it when the implant is activated.
For people who read quickly, this is a godsend. For people who read slowly, it might be more of an irritation. And it doesn't help those of us with prosopagnosia. We're still going to wonder who did what. And I still think Bard looked exactly like Legalos, only with dark hair instead of blond.
Oh, and the captioning usually won't tell you WHO said what. So there is that occasional bit of confusion.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 3:44 pm

That's good the music is inside your memory banks.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you had a nice time there. :) I didn't know captioning glasses were available but it makes sense. Too bad they're so heavy. Even my lightweight regular old glasses are too heavy for me to wear for more than a few minutes, so I can imagine how irritating having a heavy pair must be. Haven't seen the movie - yet - as I generally avoid going to the theater due to crowds, the very loud speakers are too much for me, and the cost. But I will definitely see it later when it's out on dvd's &/or streaming from somewhere or other.
:rendeer:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 8:21 pm

Lelia -
Hope you are doing better and it all works out.

Looking for a computer geek (suspect this is the right place to find one). The Kid got herself a new Dell laptop. Only option for her was Windows 8. She hates it, wants to downgrade to Windows 7, but can't seem to find a way to do it. Says she thinks she'll have to have her whole computer wiped to be able to do it. Anyone know if that's true?

Thanks.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 4:03 pm

It should be possible to simply install Win 7 as the OS; that will require purchasing a copy, however, so it might be easier to learn the vagaries of Win 8 instead. (Hillary got a new laptop for Christmas, and has had to learn to deal with Win 8. Occasionally, this has meant that I have to deal with Win 8 on her behalf. :) )

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

Various ideas for making Win8 less pointless:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-st ... ows-8.html

or just stop funding Microsoft and use a operating system that works.

Stick W8 in as a VirtualBox machine, if you really need to use anything that insists on Microsoft's quirky stuff.

Oh... and "Hi all!"