The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 987 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989, 990 ... 1006  Next

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

Various ideas for making Win8 less pointless:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-st ... ows-8.html

or just stop funding Microsoft and use a operating system that works.

Stick W8 in as a VirtualBox machine, if you really need to use anything that insists on Microsoft's quirky stuff.

Oh... and "Hi all!"

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm

Alittle late to the party...

First, get Classic Shell, gives you a start button to what you want it to be. It's free, easy, stood the test of time. You can also boot striaght to real desktop and not that app crap.

I have been saying, elsewheres, don't update to 8.1, not so sure now with the latest leak in Exploror 10 and I can't update to 11, unless I go with 8.1. Makes no damn sense, but the way it is, for now. Sooo, I may update to 8.1, depends if they patch the leak in March. (they had a patch today, but said nothing about explorer and I didn't read thier BS. may be fixed. The people in the know were wondering if they would do an "unschedualed" I would have expected it to say somethng about Explorer and it did not).

I like 8, much better than 7.

PS I should have hit Lau's link before I started my blurb, so, what Lau pointed to. (hiyas Lau :)) I haven't looked on Classic site in a while to see if it works with 8.1, if it does, I'll probably go 8.1. But 8 without a startbutton is bull s**t and I would be crawling backwards to 7 without it.

Last edited by postpaleo on 21 Feb 2014, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 6:56 pm

some thoughts/queries-

if the makers of soundforge, pristine sounds2005, wavelab, Rmix, IzotopeRx, Dcart and the like were to make Linux versions, would they always be bulletproof in a way that their Windows versions are anything but? how easy is it to make a Linux machine crash?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

I am not a lInux person at all. I like it, love the concept, but the updates always seemed like stepping through fire for me, so I leave your questions for better people then I and Lau, is most certianly one that might know.

Lau prides himself on how few times he has had to reboot his machine, if that is any clue. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:07 pm

postpaleo wrote:
I am not a lInux person at all. I like it, love the concept, but the updates always seemed like stepping through fire for me, so I leave your questions for better people then I and Lau, is most certianly one that might know. Lau prides himself on how few times he has had to reboot his machine, if that is any clue. :)

I haven't had to reboot my machine more than about once per week, as windows 7 compartmentalizes programs that crash, seldom resulting in a whole system lock-up. but none of my software apps I described above will run more than a few hours without crashing.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if the makers of soundforge, pristine sounds2005, wavelab, Rmix, IzotopeRx, Dcart and the like were to make Linux versions, would they always be bulletproof

I don't know for sure. But I recall that when Syntrillium Cool Edit was being migrated from Windows to MacOS (a Unix based operating system) they had a devil of a time and it took them like forever. And when it was finally release as Adobe Audition I considered it so lamed that I never really used it. So I can't speak to how reliable it was, but I do recall that Cool Edit on Windows was pretty darn solid; I don't recall ever having troubles with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm

Marky9 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
if the makers of soundforge, pristine sounds2005, wavelab, Rmix, IzotopeRx, Dcart and the like were to make Linux versions, would they always be bulletproof

I don't know for sure. But I recall that when Syntrillium Cool Edit was being migrated from Windows to MacOS (a Unix based operating system) they had a devil of a time and it took them like forever. And when it was finally release as Adobe Audition I considered it so lamed that I never really used it. So I can't speak to how reliable it was, but I do recall that Cool Edit on Windows was pretty darn solid; I don't recall ever having troubles with it.

I have AA3 on my puter and it crashes about as often as the rest. even soundforge which was as solid as they come [for windows] on my W98 and XP machines, crashes about once per day on my W7 machine. that is with a 2.3GHZ multicore Pentium and 6GB of RAM and a solid state drive. anyways, I find that AA does have some useful features such as the adaptive NR and the spectral retouching paintbrush.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:23 pm

As always, make sure your drivers, updates, etc are current.

I, favor Avast for a bunch of reasons. It's getting a little more complex then before, but still not real hard. Now, what does an anti virus program have to with updates? They keep track of some of your programs for you now and let you know when they have updates.

Do not relay on Windows, they do a poor enough job keeping themselevs updated.

Know what you put on your machine, if it's there and you didn't do it, get rid of it. (take that with a grain of salt, you ever try and clean a new computer? it can get scary...like, do I really need this and other bloat ware)

Last edited by postpaleo on 21 Feb 2014, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:27 pm

aunt blabby wrote:
AA3...such as the adaptive NR and the spectral retouching paintbrush.

Yep, I liked the NR once I learned how tune it in effectively. And I once also tried the spectral paintbrush and thought it cool; I felt like I was cheating because it made certain things sooo easy. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:31 pm

Marky9 wrote:
aunt blabby wrote:
AA3...such as the adaptive NR and the spectral retouching paintbrush.

Yep, I liked the NR once I learned how tune it in effectively. And I once also tried the spectral paintbrush and thought it cool; I felt like I was cheating because it made certain things sooo easy. :)

other programs that do something similar, are pristine sounds 2005, and in a different way, IzotopeRx.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:33 pm

aunt blabby wrote:
... was as solid as they come [for windows] on my W98 and XP machines, crashes about once per day on my W7 machine.

I have kept my main production machine on XP for that reason. But sadly its architecture is now so outdated that it would not make sense to put more money into it. This may be when I finally abandon Windows once and for all. I started with MS-DOS, then Windows 3.0, and followed it in a corporate environment up through XP. Now.... I give up.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm

Nice to meet you Marky9. Don't give up, but you have to ask yourself, like anyone should, a basic question, what do I use a computer for?

Very impressed with Linux, the damn thing will even run off a cd, without it being on your harddrive. If it fits your bill go for it, I still game a bit so need my DirectX and like I said, the updates seemed to be harder then they could be. But nothing I couldn't learn if I had to. I just don't like change and then they gave me Win8....grrrr :)

Not sure but... it maybe that what you have now, for a machine, might get it's thunder back using Linux.

Not only are some Linux users very proud of not having rebooted in months and months, they take huge pride in running Windows under the ground on machines that should have been in the recycle bin 5 years ago. But you probably already knew that.

Last edited by postpaleo on 21 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 7:48 pm

A new Classic Shell version came out as we were talking, it does work for Win 8.1. May have before, like I said, I dunno. Also works for other versions of Windows, like I also said, stood the test of time.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:28 pm

Hello Postpaleo!

I used to do web and application development in a corporate Windows environment, so that one was a no-brainer in terms of which OS to use.

Now I mainly to audio, video, and photography work. The industry standards there are fairly well placed in the Mac OS camp, so that is where I reasonably should be headed. My primary machine since the Compaq croaked has been a MacBook Pro 17" that I originally got for location audio recording work.

I started with Unix System V when it was first released in 1984 (system admin, application dev, etc) so I have some familiarity with that environment, though I've not touched Linux.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:32 pm

I just reread the first page of the "new Cafe". Yikes!! Been a while and all the old stuff that's now gone? Yiukes!!

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:44 pm

I guess I went to school for this stuff, one time in my past, some kind of blurr there. Didn't get far really and kind of late (school of the formal type is a no starter for me, just took me a long time to learn it, lol) They were taking out some kind of reel to reel IBM thingy that took up a lot of space and putting in a DEC20, as I recall. But I learned to type on a VIC20 and why I still can't type, it all looked good going in, till you try to read it ;p

Got me a little nostalgic... Dad and I were doing it together. He got a printer so we could "proof" our typed stuff better and then they came out with a program to "proof, your code while you did it (typed it), I think some kind of checksum. And then, we saw our first floppy, my god, the speed. My kid, who was a little s**t at the time, learned how to "bounce" it, in other words he hacked it, in short order.

I'll get speel check back up on my bar, good luck reading this, but thanks for the memorys.

And "the kid", the hacker? he just graduated from a (another) school, I guess it's a good one, so I'm told, and he's a Chef. Actually, I think you had to be one before they let you in, but not sure.... Anyway, I remember one of the first assignments in flow charting, cook an egg. I'll bet he can hack it. He used to see me do it enough around a kitchen ;p You never know what will take and won't, you just never know. Just enjoy what you do, as best you can and let the dog out once in a while.

I have another kid (grand) that writes for the IBM magezine from time to time and is into security, the computer kind, but he can't cook. (He's too politcal., but damn proud of every false conception he might hold. But what isn't political?) I think I failed him, but he's still young and yet to find his way. ;p