What is it with all these trolls and spammers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

This place has always had them as long as I can remember but there seems to be a lot more lately over the past couple months. What is going on?

The mods finally have their banning tools but the troll and spammer activities have still increased. I wonder where are they coming from and if they are former members that have been banned in the past. Or are they just spam bots?

This place is where I have seen the most trolls and spammers even though I don't get the chance to see what they post because it's been reported and taken care of before I could see it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:22 am

Well, for one, a lot of previously banned members have somehow had their accounts reactivated since the site upgraded. Dunno why.

As for spammers, well, we're whacking them as fast as possible.

Be advised that the staff is aware of the problem and is working hard to rid the site of never-do-wells.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 6:34 pm

I got 2 emails today,one sent me to the topic to respond and the other said I was banned.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:09 pm

to my knowledge only one formerly banned troll has been resurrected, but that's been taken care of already.

most of what you see comes just from spambots, non-human programs with irrelevant ads and links to sites, lots of which are malicious (so best not to click, though that's probably a no-brainier by now)
they could be sent out by scammers who recieve commission if the product is bought.

many of them just puke out one single post/thread and die out, so once that's been dealt with a ban could probably not be needed, but i still whack em just to be sure. we've gotten a few IP's too.

it's the really prolific ones that are a PITA, and gave me a headache last time :P

so they've got no purpose on here except to spew out hilariously garbled, incomprehensible word salads good for a chuckle or two.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Well, for one, a lot of previously banned members have somehow had their accounts reactivated since the site upgraded. Dunno why.

yeah, and locked threads have been unlocked too..

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:23 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
to my knowledge only one formerly banned troll has been resurrected, but that's been taken care of already.

most of what you see comes just from spambots, non-human programs with irrelevant ads and links to sites, lots of which are malicious (so best not to click, though that's probably a no-brainier by now)
they could be sent out by scammers who recieve commission if the product is bought.

many of them just puke out one single post/thread and die out, so once that's been dealt with a ban could probably not be needed, but i still whack em just to be sure. we've gotten a few IP's too.

it's the really prolific ones that are a PITA, and gave me a headache last time :P

so they've got no purpose on here except to spew out hilariously garbled, incomprehensible word salads good for a chuckle or two.

XFilesGeek wrote:

yeah, and locked threads have been unlocked too..
why do I get these emails from time to time saying I am banned

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Did any of them post?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

^ Yup.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

no one has answered why I keep getting emails saying im banned when I clearly am not because im posting now

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 10:21 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
no one has answered why I keep getting emails saying im banned when I clearly am not because im posting now

it wasn't me, that's for sure. or the other mods. 'ban' emails aren't automated.

what was the message of the email?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 5:38 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

it wasn't me, that's for sure. or the other mods. 'ban' emails aren't automated.

what was the message of the email?
one said "your not authorized to view this forum" but I had no problem going to the site and clicking on the forum.

another said I was banned and to contact an administrator.its only in email responses and has only happened a couple times

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 10:01 pm

it seems like that was just an error. if you get any more ban emails (which hopefully you shouldn't) just delete them - they mean nothing and you're no troublemaker.

i've gotten errors on the forum (not thru links) that say that the forum "doesn't exist". weird. refreshing, or accessing it by other means usually works.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:47 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it seems like that was just an error. if you get any more ban emails (which hopefully you shouldn't) just delete them - they mean nothing and you're no troublemaker.

i've gotten errors on the forum (not thru links) that say that the forum "doesn't exist". weird. refreshing, or accessing it by other means usually works.
good thank you

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:33 pm

A lot of the moderators left in recent months and they are very short staffed. I am amazed they are able to respond as well as they have.

Alex is now very engaged here but I think it will take a year or so to hire and train moderators and for the new moderators to get experience.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

I also get "banned" for "spamming" occasionally

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

Why do people keep feeding the trolls?

"tomato" is one of the biggest trolls on WP. He posts incoherent ramblings about how humanity are all robots and "unspiritual." He backs up his nonsense ramblings with links to crackpot websites and video clips from films such as The Matrix. If you disagree with him and he can't think of a response, he usually retorts by calling you a "robot," "conformist," or claims you're "not thinking deeply enough." :lol:

Some of the things he's said:

"masturbation destroys your brain"

"most Jews have autism and psychosis"

"only unevolved people procreate"

"socializing is a sin"

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

He seems really seriously disturbed and I find him a very disturbing presence here. I thought he was a troll from the beginning, and Tallyman did too, he issued a warning to him - though this guy continues his mega-offensive rants..