Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2015, 5:57 am

It's been bothering me for a while now that the new wrong planet page has too many adverts.

I'm finding that not only to huge pop ups cover my screen, but also some smaller adverts play sounds. I find this quite distressing as I haven't worked out how to turn them off without muting my entire computer (which isn't always what I want to do).

In addition to this, I'm finding that I have to click the x button on the web address bar at the right time, or else my phone will change page entirely or even try to send me to the App Store.

Is anyone else having this problem and what solutions do they use?

Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 6:38 am

I haven't had anything pop up nor any ads that produce sound, if I did I wouldn't log into this site. There's plenty of ads, I just learn to ignore them, such as the one below your post and the 3 ads shown above the reply box.

I mean I guess they pay for the site, so, might as well deal with them as best I can, it's how I always looked at it.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2015, 7:03 am

How odd. Here's an example of a soundless pop up. This only happens to me on WP. I understand that the site needs to be paid for, so I ignore all the ads. It's just the noisy and large ones that bother me.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:05 am

My solution has been to spend the past week avoiding this place because I'm trying to compose music and I don't need ads blasting sound in my ear every few seconds.

Also: moved this topic from General Autism Discussion to Wrongplanet.net Discussion.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 8:55 am

Is there no decent ad-blocking app for mobile phones? It's been a long time since I saw an ad here, using a desktop or a laptop with Windows, Firefox and Adblock Plus.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
In addition to this, I'm finding that I have to click the x button on the web address bar at the right time, or else my phone will change page entirely or even try to send me to the App Store.

That's exactly what happened on my iPhone, too. It's extremely annoying because I actually couldn't see WP pages. What I've done to deal with it for now is to disable JavaScript. It stopped all those annoying ads and WP loads much faster. But you have to enable JavaScript to see some other websites that require JavaScript.

On my laptop I installed Ghostery or something that someone here on WP had mentioned. It seems to block all ads. I don't see any ads at all on WP. I actually wouldn't mind non-intrusive ads but recently ads on WP have been quite intrusive and I really didn't have a choice.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

I don't mind ad banners, but I really hate the ones that play a video automatically. Absolutely unacceptable on a forum.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2015, 2:55 am

I'm getting the ones that play audio automatically as well - on a desk top - very very annoying. I have also noticed adds for, well lets just say, lewd services - I really hate that.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:15 am

I use Adblock, I can tolerate some advertising, but many of adverts on WP were located too close to the hyperlinks, I don't have the required coordination to avoid clicking them, and I can't zoom in so it's the perfect solution. Adblock for android (mobile & tablet) = No advertising. :D

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2015, 6:12 am

Other than the website owner, it's mainly Adobe that's the problem, try turning on "click to activate" for plugins in your web browser.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 5:08 am

jk1 wrote:
What I've done to deal with it for now is to disable JavaScript. It stopped all those annoying ads and WP loads much faster. But you have to enable JavaScript to see some other websites that require JavaScript.

If you use the Firefox browser, you can use the NoScript plugin to permanently selectively enable or disable Javascript on any website.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 2:00 pm

starkid wrote:
jk1 wrote:
What I've done to deal with it for now is to disable JavaScript. It stopped all those annoying ads and WP loads much faster. But you have to enable JavaScript to see some other websites that require JavaScript.

If you use the Firefox browser, you can use the NoScript plugin to permanently selectively enable or disable Javascript on any website.

Yup. It also lets you see all the scripts that are trying to run on the page you're loading, and you can unblock the one(s) you need to make things functional. On WP, I can actually get by without enabling any scripts at all, though the main script (Wrongplanet.net) is necessary if I want to use emoticons or a few other features I don't often use. It's surprising how many useless / annoying / malicious scripts run if they aren't blocked.

dimwit79
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2015, 2:31 pm

Wow, has no one actually encountered the ads that try to steal your money yet? Im really not sure whether i should post this to this thread or the mods thread because this is really serious. On my iphone i dont just get the noise adverts and diverts to the app store, i also get this certain type of ad thats trying to steal money from my phone bill.

This has already happened to me once too or i wouldnt be so damn offended. Last year, i browsed onto another site that redirected me to the same kind of site that tries to steal money from you, i immediately clicked exit and 15 minutes later i received a text message saying my account had been debited £6.

This only happens on mobiles so a lot wont be aware of this, but this site really is running a type of ad that will steal money directly from your pocket. This is totally immoral and needs fixing ASAP.

I cant even get past that advert to use the site. Everytime i get back to the site proper i wait a few seconds and it full page redirects me back to it. Any click i make can steal my money. The last time it stole money from me the most i did was scroll slightly down to allow me to exit and thats it, my money was gone. No clicking on games, videos, nothing, it just stole my money. And this site is running this very dangerous type of ad like its one of the dodgiest sites on the internet.

I really cant afford to let this stand, someone needs to say something to the mods so i will add this post to their thread too. Theres too much potential for someone to lose money to them, something does need to be said.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

^
Shocking!

I knew these mobile Web devices were likely to end in tears, but I thought it might be limited to unsolicited ads following the phone owner everywhere they went. Memo to self: if I get a smartphone or ipad, choose a payment plan that can't run up a debt or take money without my consent, and get a good ad blocker and script stopper.

Yes I'd report it to the site owner if you think that WP is carrying ads that have such malicious things built into them. I'm sure Alex wouldn't want anything like that to be happening round here.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm

What dimwit79 described is very scary. I've had many extremely annoying redirecting ads, but not any that steals money. Or could it be that I just don't know I lost some money? It certainly should be illegal. Probably Alex needs to be directly told about it. Also those criminals need to be brought to justice.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
starkid wrote:
jk1 wrote:

Yup. It also lets you see all the scripts that are trying to run on the page you're loading, and you can unblock the one(s) you need to make things functional. On WP, I can actually get by without enabling any scripts at all, though the main script (Wrongplanet.net) is necessary if I want to use emoticons or a few other features I don't often use. It's surprising how many useless / annoying / malicious scripts run if they aren't blocked.

Can I do that on my iPhone? I tried to find the Firefox browser for iPhones but nothing came up.