Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 6:40 pm

Right this has been happening for a long time but I've decide to ask about why it happens. A lot of the time on here the page doesn't load up. It happens mostly after I post a message.

But if I refresh the page, it posts my message twice. And again, if it fails to refresh. So I have exit out and come back in. It's definitely not my connection, I'm sure.

Is this the case for a lot of people? If so, would anyone working the website be able to fix it?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 6:41 pm

It even did it when posting this :lol:

sinsyokka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 9:08 pm

Maybe the site just sucks at handling data. :roll:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 9:55 pm

sinsyokka wrote:
Maybe the site just sucks at handling data. :roll:

I suppose you are not alone is occasionally feeling that way!

Simonono wrote:
Right this has been happening for a long time but I've decide to ask about why it happens. A lot of the time on here the page doesn't load up. It happens mostly after I post a message.

But if I refresh the page, it posts my message twice. And again, if it fails to refresh. So I have exit out and come back in. It's definitely not my connection, I'm sure.

Is this the case for a lot of people? If so, would anyone working the website be able to fix it?

Over these past several months, Alex has done quite a lot to address that kind of problem and speed things up tremendously ... yet sometimes the overall traffic here can still slows things down. Lately I have been minimizing and then re-maximizing my browser page when that happens (on the thought of something possibly being lightly stuck or whatever), and that actually does seem to help ... but that might only be because I am entertaining myself for a moment. Anyway, you are correct in believing the problem is not likely on your own end.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:46 am

Online Now: 722

Things seem to be moving along well at the moment ...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:57 am

Are you sure you're not just being impatient? Sometimes it can take a long time to load, but if you leave it, it usually works fine these days.

If it is just stopping and coming up blank, wipe your cookies and cache.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 11:56 am

Online Now: 1,050

Still working well for me ...

Asp-Z wrote:
If it is just stopping and coming up blank, wipe your cookies and cache.

I sometimes just do that anyway.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

It was much worse before you joined, the server would frequently crash every 5 minutes, luckily if it wasn't for TOGGI3, I'm pretty sure that we would struggle even reaching the login area...

Currently Online: 1,086

Visitors: 901
Members: 185

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:22 pm

Another thing to point out is that, if there was this amount of people online... the whole server would indeed crash.

(That's if we didn't upgrade the servers, some of my donations went towards the new server).

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:18 pm

I run into a problem like that sometimes when I post from my Blackberry where it doesn't appear to register a post. I've learned though to just browse to another page instead of trying to post again(which causes a double-post). For some reason that makes it register the post. Although that trick probably won't apply to a regular web browser.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:26 pm

I will try that sometime and see.

===========

I get this every once in a while:

Quote:
The connection has timed out

The server at www.wrongplanet.net is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Anybody else?

No mention of TV.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2011, 7:54 am

There's nothing wrong with the site as it loads for me just fine at all times. I think there could be a lot of people with dodgy configurations. It would be interested to see which browsers people have installed and other security software,

Do you have any software such as Firewall, running spyware protection, k9 web protection or other nanny filter or custom dns settings? Your firewall is most likely to blame. Before eliminating any of that I suggest you try the site in a different browser and see if it makes any difference (just to try and pin down the problem). I know that IE has problems loading WP. I use the latest Firefox and have no issues using the website. If that makes no difference, you could temporarily turn off the firewall and see if you can post to the site. Then you'll know if that the firewall is to blame or not. If the firewall is the culprit then you may need to change the rules regarding the browser's acccess to the internet. Learn how to make it a trusted application.

I think I'm going to make a different topic about this.