Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

I can't post any images. I can post the URL to the image. But if it has the image tags on it, I just get errors. In the past when this happens I could just post the URL. Then I could edit the post to include the image tags. But I just get errors when doing that now too.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

As per this post, here?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5733460.html#5733460

The error "Couldn't obtain smilies data" that post generates when reinstating your [img] tags is an old (and annoying) bug which can apparently be triggered by the location of the file, or an image format-specific issue concerning the file involved.
Sometimes, doing a post preview (and occasionally up to three or four times) will result in a correct error-free display and provided the post is submitted quickly after that, often works.
Unfortunately, it also often fails...

The only option available is to post the plain URL (as you've discovered) or to choose another image.
This bug doesn't affect all image files - but it seems to have an annoying tendency to crop up only on the very best images...

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:05 pm

Thanks. I have tried all of those things a hundred times. It did preview one time only, but still wouldn't post. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it not to post. I'll try a different URL and see what happens.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:08 pm

It's something along the lines of "There was an Error in posting", and no matter how you do it, you have to just leave the link to the image as a standard link or omit it entirely.
It seems to be hit and miss, though usually happens with .GIF files I find, and ones that might be over 1MB. Is there perhaps a limit on the filesize of images we can hotlink?
If so, that was probably set during a time people had slower net and WP had more bandwidth restrictions. Maybe it's worth checking into this and if it is the case, increasing the max image size for hotlinking to 2-3MB.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

OK I changed the URL and it worked. I guess that is the workaround I will use in the future.

Thanks again.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
It's something along the lines of "There was an Error in posting", and no matter how you do it, you have to just leave the link to the image as a standard link or omit it entirely.
It seems to be hit and miss, though usually happens with .GIF files I find, and ones that might be over 1MB. Is there perhaps a limit on the filesize of images we can hotlink?
If so, that was probably set during a time people had slower net and WP had more bandwidth restrictions. Maybe it's worth checking into this and if it is the case, increasing the max image size for hotlinking to 2-3MB.

Interesting ideas. But in this case it seems to be something in the URL that was causing the problem.

I do agree that it is hit and miss. Just because a workaround works one time, doesn't mean it will work the next time. It is very random.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Nov 2013, 1:16 pm

Max000 wrote:
Thanks. I have tried all of those things a hundred times. It did preview one time only, but still wouldn't post. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it not to post. I'll try a different URL and see what happens.
I've just posted to that thread and annoyingly, had to discard one image because of those errors and use another one.
Lately I've got into the habit of always previewing a post before trying to submit it and usually, if it fails once I just sigh heavily and find another image.

There are also timeout issues as JanuaryMan says although I'm not aware of restrictions on image size - and I spend far too much time correcting the display of over-large images posted here, some of which have been larger than 2048 pixels on one axis...
Another problem can be caused by sites simply not allowing images on their pages to be hotlinked at all and while some substitute a "Don't hotlink" image, I suppose there will always be some who don't.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Another problem can be caused by sites simply not allowing images on their pages to be hotlinked at all and while some substitute a "Don't hotlink" image, I suppose there will always be some who don't.
That's a possibility. I tend to like funny gifs from tumblr and blogger posts. Some people turn on options not to hotlink from there but you don't get a "Do not hotlink" image from those sites all the time.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Max000 wrote:
I've just posted to that thread and annoyingly, had to discard one image because of those errors and use another one.
Lately I've got into the habit of always previewing a post before trying to submit it and usually, if it fails once I just sigh heavily and find another image.

I usually click back and forth between Preview and Submit, until one or the other works.

Also sometimes when the image won't post, I just post the URL. Then I come back about 20 minutes later and I can edit the post successfully. But in this case I couldn't add the image tags even 10 hours later.

I have a feeling this is more CloudFlare crap.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Nov 2013, 1:49 pm

Max000 wrote:
I have a feeling this is more CloudFlare crap.
No - these errors were happening before CloudFlare was implemented.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 2:08 am

OK, this is back. I can't post any images again. Just getting error messages. Can't find any obvious workarounds. Changing the image URL doesn't help. Preview or Submit makes no difference. Size doesn't seem to make any difference. :(

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 3:09 am

I just keep trying until eventually it works. I have the same issue with making regular posts and going to forums. WP can be such a challenge at times...

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 4:59 am

Kinme wrote:
I just keep trying until eventually it works. I have the same issue with making regular posts and going to forums. WP can be such a challenge at times...

Thanks, I agree. WP is a challenge. I think you are right, that eventually it will work. I think I will have to wait at least another 12 hours before I can post images again.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 7:14 am

Max000 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

Thanks, I agree. WP is a challenge. I think you are right, that eventually it will work. I think I will have to wait at least another 12 hours before I can post images again.

I wish you good luck, because it's making me tear my hair out, lol!

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm

OK, I'll make another appeal here to fix this issue. It's no fun trying to participate in photo threads if all I get is errors when trying to post images. :x

It's now been weeks since I have been able to post an image.

Preview gets "Couldn't obtain smilies data".

Submit gets "Error in posting".