Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 11:42 am

Protogenoi wrote:
American wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Defense Lawyer: "Your Honor, if the plaintiff has indeed (as he claims) a 'Mental Deficiency', then how is it possible that he could even recognize that he has been discriminated against? The defense rests."

Judge: "Case dismissed."

Catch-22! To answer the OP's question and to push back on suggestions that colleges (intentionally) discriminate, in recent years it appears that substantially higher percentages of students with disabilities attend college than years past. http://hechingerreport.org/content/coll ... led_14704/

That's funny because my research said the exact opposite...

Links?

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm

An update
A friend of mine who is on the spectrum DARED to write about her journey on the spectrum in an essay, and was rejected early decision from a college. She was extremely hard-working, spending almost all of her free times checking over recordings for people who can't read, leading groups of younger students on the spectrum, and reaching out to hundreds of people at dozens of events to tell them about robotics. She also did much more than that, plus she took many advanced classes, and she had standardized test scores in the 99th percentile. She visited this college multiple times and expressed a lot of interest.

BUT she decided to write an essay about her biggest challenge in life, autism, and she was rejected. Not even deferred, but outright rejected. This was not an Ivy League school.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

Epsilon wrote:
An update
A friend of mine who is on the spectrum DARED to write about her journey on the spectrum in an essay, and was rejected early decision from a college. She was extremely hard-working, spending almost all of her free times checking over recordings for people who can't read, leading groups of younger students on the spectrum, and reaching out to hundreds of people at dozens of events to tell them about robotics. She also did much more than that, plus she took many advanced classes, and she had standardized test scores in the 99th percentile. She visited this college multiple times and expressed a lot of interest.

BUT she decided to write an essay about her biggest challenge in life, autism, and she was rejected. Not even deferred, but outright rejected. This was not an Ivy League school.

The school probably reached the set quota of disabled people they are required to have to -not discriminate-, which allows them to reject everyone else offhand. After all, it isn't discrimination if you follow the law to it's minimum.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:52 pm

A college that discriminates against people with disabilities is probably a college that you don't want to attend anyway.