Going back to college as a non traditional student

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

betruetoyourself
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2015, 12:28 am

What is like to go back to college as a non-traditional student? I can imagine that inside of class you are just like any other college student but what is it like outside of class?

aradesh
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2015, 6:39 am

It is of course difficult, socializing and fitting in, but not as bad as school or in the workplace. I personally think university is a good environment for people with ASD. It can be difficult if you are living on campus away from home and family, I had a lot of trouble fitting in and making friends with people who I lived with or who lived near me. I did eventually make some good friends though. I first went to university at age 21 and then I started a new course at age 25 at a different university. If I can I'd quite like to stay involved in university related things or doing more studies, or research in the future because I feel I fit in better than I would in a normal job...

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:42 am

betruetoyourself wrote:
What is like to go back to college as a non-traditional student? I can imagine that inside of class you are just like any other college student but what is it like outside of class?

Outside of class wasn't really a thing for me... I had work, school then home.

Sometimes, after being in class with people for awhile, I'd get invited along to go play pool or have a drink after class. Most of the time I said no, by that time, I had too much people and noise for a day, or I was pregnant (seriously, I'm not going back to finish my next degree until after my husband has his 'procedure' :lol: I can't afford a third kid). But, sometimes I did go along, and it was fun. Sometimes the older students would try to give me advice on what I was doing wrong (working and/or school while having young kids), which was stressful, but, most of the time, we just talked about class or popular media.
In my programming classes, I really clicked with the teachers and a couple of the other students, and we would geek out over our favorite software or movies or whatever. That was great.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

I went back to college when I was 36. I lasted eight years, finishing in 2005 and graduating in 2006.

It takes a little time to adjust to such things as doing papers and studying. I was lucky I had a good background, so I adjusted rather fast.

Most of the time, "non-traditional" students are not involved in the usual college hijinks (they're usually working or have families to take care of). Therefore, there is not much time to socialize with "traditional" students. Obviously, there is also an age difference. I didn't experience problems from traditionally-aged students--though they, at times, disrupted classes.

Nia7563
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2015, 2:28 am

I had to drop my college since I was getting married to a different place. It was through a friend that I came to know of this renowned Freedom Business School at California which offered distance education. This helped me complete my course with ease. Online learning does not limit learning. Today, more and more people are turning to online learning courses for their educational needs. Thanks to the advancements in technology !

SDerailed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2015, 2:34 pm

I went back to school. I started at my local Community College, and because I took more night classes than day classes most of the other students were non-traditional students. I even had an 80 something old man in my biology class.

When I took day classes there were a lot of 18-19 year old students. Towards my second semester I had some people that I'd eat lunch with. But I didn't really "hang out" with them, although I was always invited. I had more responsibilities than they did, and didn't have the time. But I did feel awkward when I had to go to the social areas. Of course, I always feel awkward. So that wasn't much of a change.

I found school lectures to be boring, and for a large part a waste of my time. I didn't really like most of the people in the classes, and I learn better on my own anyways.

I transferred to an all online program for my B.S.. And I love it. Since I tend to be a hermit, I can finally focus on my studies and not things that bother me in the classroom setting.

rollermonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2015, 11:06 pm

I started college at 40. That's pretty non-traditional.

These days, it's not as uncommon as when I was college-age, but a lot of how the experience will go depends on your own situation. How old are you? Are you married? Kids? Will you be going full time? Community college or Big State University?

Etc etc.

I think I get a little bit more leeway from some professors, but not all of them. That was a huge, surprise benefit from my English teachers, and thankful, as I hate that subject. :)

I go to one of the largest community colleges in the country (top-5 by enrollment) and the instructors are pretty awesome for the most part. So many students are working full time jobs, and taking classes before and/or after work... Most of the teachers recognize the difficulties and sacrifice and are pretty cool...

No clue if it would be the same at a regular 4-year institution...

Also, every school should have some sort of program for students with disabilities, the names are different, but the purpose the same, to help whenever possible.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2015, 2:42 am

I'm going back to University of Texas at Austin to finish a degree that I had been working on a long time ago but was forced to leave. It's weird going back into that environment and seeing all the traditional students, some of whom don't seem very welcoming at all.