Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:02 am

I have a test for C# in a few days. I'm not sure but I think it's not an open book test. I can code in C# (after much debugging) but I've always been doing that by making reference to previous projects to get the syntax. But to do this from memory, I've got to memorize masses of abstract stuff I only partly understand even when I'm doing it at home (open book).

In the past my exams were more forgiving. The last time I was at TAFE I had a simpler IT course, at school my maths exams always allowed a cheatsheet (I failed most of them anyway) and history exams were easier much easier because it was just remembering a story (I didn't have memorize the history book word for word, just the events therein). History was easy. I didn't even have to study or prepare for history exams.

But now I have to memorize something without any kind of narrative structure, memorize it to the comma and write it back out of order (because the test questions will be somewhat different from my revision questions, same syntax but used in different context).

I try to memorize this stuff but I feel like I can't remember it down to the comma without having something else to read from. How do I memorize a large quantity of abstract information?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

you don't things like this rely on muscle memory.

also, setting up programming exams as closed-book is just torture; noone can expect someone to remember any programming code syntax from memory, there's just too much of it.
I work with professional programmers, and all of them have a stack of books at their desks, which they regularly reference.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm

I wonder if creating flashcards with the various syntax formula's would help?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:46 pm

I would write it down on a "cheat sheet" that summarizes the course.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:58 pm

Just do as many practical examples as you can.
Something will stay in your mind and you might be able to recall it when you need it. Don't worry about remembering it to the comma because it is impossible. Focus on understanding the language "grammar" (where symbols usually are placed) and most common commands. Once you understand the language quirks and see enough practical examples you will be able to figure out and write some commands you don't remember. Trying to memorize all commands in a programming language is like trying to memorize whole math equations. That's not how you do it. You need to understand a pattern.

Also print some examples and highlight commands you think you "won't ever be able to remember". And just browse the papers every now an then. It will make it easier to recall them.

I agree those tests are a pain. I had similar one this January. We had to write some working php and js scripts without using the notes and books, only computer without connection to the Internet, with Notepad as text editor. I was sure I will fail because I was thinking that remembering all the commands is impossible. But then I got to the test and finally seen the questions. The amount of info I had to remember suddenly dropped to just a few commands and I realized they are there, in my memory. I could reach them. I started writing, letter by letter, command by command,comma by comma. I made a few small grammar and word mistakes but I figured them before the test was over. In the end everything worked out and I got 97% score.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

The test was on Thursday. I managed to remember about half of it, and then I found out it was an open book test.

Also, as Kiriae alluded to, the problems I had to solve were very simple. The sample test I had had eight difficult questions yet the actual test had three simple questions. It didn't make much reference to the more complex parts I couldn't remember and I had to consult the text book only occasionally. I was able to produce about 90% of the code from memory.

The two hour time limit they gave me was almost arbitrary. I had plenty of time to slowly check and double check my work and be finished in one hour. I think they wanted to make it extra easy because they are a technical college, not a university (also they said there would be no grade, only pass or fail). Good thing too. At the moment I don't want to take on too many challenges because my job leaves me with less time to study.

They say they can't give me my results for a few days but I think there is little question that I passed.