How can I pick a college/university?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 7:05 pm

Ok, so I know this sounds like I'm full of myself, but I'm not. I really think I could get into almost any school if I really wanted to, mainly because of my testing scores, and several other things that make me look good on paper (I don't feel like explaining them all but they do). At the very least I'd stand a chance. Well, that's assuming that I could explain away my 1.0 GPA for my first semester of college. On second thought, I really don't know if any place will accept me. (Will they be able to look at that or can I just not mention it?)

In case you were wondering, no, I don't want to go back to that other college. It's the Mormon school, BYU-Provo, and I'm no longer living by the "honor code" so I actually would not be allowed back unless I lied about it. I see no reason to be there if I'm not going to follow the honor code anyway. (FYI, it's a very strict honor code, so not living by it doesn't mean I'm dishonest or hurting people or anything extreme, I'm just not living by Mormon standards, which includes not drinking coffee and tea).

I suppose one thing that would be a big factor for me is whether or not they accommodate people with disorders. I think they are all technically supposed to but I'm sure some are better about it than others. Does anyone know of any colleges or universities that are particularly good about this? And I don't mind where it is as long as it's in the United States, I'm just trying to get an idea, because I have no idea where to start.

I don't think I'll actually be ready to start anywhere until next year, probably in the fall, but I figure I should start looking now so I can get ready.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 9:19 pm

To start at a community college in Idaho wouldn't be a bad start. Community college is not a "lower" form of college. The difference between it and a four-year school is that the terminal degree is an Associates. Academically, the standards are the same as the first two years of the four-year college.

One thing you have to do is make sure you get your financial aid.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
To start at a community college in Idaho wouldn't be a bad start. Community college is not a "lower" form of college. The difference between it and a four-year school is that the terminal degree is an Associates. Academically, the standards are the same as the first two years of the four-year college.

One thing you have to do is make sure you get your financial aid.

I just don't want to go to a community college, at least not in Idaho. I wanted to move to my sister's a while ago but obviously that didn't work out. She wants me to come in September but I'm just not sure if I can now. I have a 12-month lease agreement that started in February so I'd have to terminate it. If I don't she'll probably find another roommate and I'll still be stuck here.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:03 pm

It's great that you want to go to school. Most commendable!

I know parts of Idaho are "hick"--but I would doubt that a college in Idaho is as "hick" as some backwoods places there. It really depends on the school. I know of a few community colleges here which are really pretty academically rigorous.

Do you still want to go for speech pathology?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's great that you want to go to school. Most commendable!

I know parts of Idaho are "hick"--but I would doubt that a college in Idaho is as "hick" as some backwoods places there. It really depends on the school. I know of a few community colleges here which are really pretty academically rigorous.

Do you still want to go for speech pathology?

I really don't know. I just want to go back to school. Admittedly it's not entirely because I'm really eager to get a degree (though I do want to learn). I am more of an introvert, but being alone all the time sucks. Which also is another reason I'd rather go to a university. I don't want to go to a community college because I doubt there will be anyone I can relate to there. I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging and full of myself because I'm not, but I would rather be around people that are closer to my own intelligence. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a lot of highly intelligent individuals end up doing community college. They all go to universities because they can. I just don't feel like I belong at a community college.

Plus, I like the idea of a bigger place. I dislike small towns, I would prefer to live in a big city. Twin Falls isn't tiny, but still, it isn't a big place either, and the only thing for miles around is farmland.

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm

If you are very scholasticaly able, then in selecting a college or university, the best thing to do is to figure out which are the top schools in your field of study and aim for them.

I don't know how common it is, but many major schools will channel students into a smaller college for a couple of years or so and if they do well, accept them to finish up their last year or two. Where you have two such colleges work together like that, you have a better chance of having your credits from the smaller, less noted college transfer to your program in the larger college. Also, sometimes you may be able to take some of your coursework at the bigger college.

I don't know if there is a list of school schools that work together like that. The best thing to do would probably be to ask the admissions people at each college you are interested in attending.

Another important factor is that you pay more attention to which colleges you have a better chance of graduating from. Wherever you go, you need to stay there long enough to graduate. Don't be a quitter.

Years ago, one of the top recruited high school football players was offered a full scholarship to one of the most highly ranked programs in the country where, with his talent, he was sure to be a starter within a year or two. He surprised everyone when he instead accepted a full scholarship to a lackluster NCAA Division II program at a small college with much lower standards and a student population of less than 1,000.

My younger brother knew him and asked him about it. He replied that while he would likely have a great athletic career at the big school, the odds were that he would never be able to graduate. He said that while he would be a good college player, he wasn't large enough to play in the NFL, or if he did, not for long, and with no degree, would be back home soon with no real future other than farm labor.

On the other hand, he said that at the Division II school he did attend, not only would he also get to play but he would also graduate. He said having a degree and being black and with affirmative action, he would never have much problem finding a good job, something he could never hope to achieve without a degree.

In other words, in choosing a school, in addition to selecting the school by what you intend to study, make sure you go to one where you will be more likely to graduate.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 12:34 am

eric76 wrote:
If you are very scholasticaly able, then in selecting a college or university, the best thing to do is to figure out which are the top schools in your field of study and aim for them.

I don't know how common it is, but many major schools will channel students into a smaller college for a couple of years or so and if they do well, accept them to finish up their last year or two. Where you have two such colleges work together like that, you have a better chance of having your credits from the smaller, less noted college transfer to your program in the larger college. Also, sometimes you may be able to take some of your coursework at the bigger college.

I don't know if there is a list of school schools that work together like that. The best thing to do would probably be to ask the admissions people at each college you are interested in attending.

Another important factor is that you pay more attention to which colleges you have a better chance of graduating from. Wherever you go, you need to stay there long enough to graduate. Don't be a quitter.

Years ago, one of the top recruited high school football players was offered a full scholarship to one of the most highly ranked programs in the country where, with his talent, he was sure to be a starter within a year or two. He surprised everyone when he instead accepted a full scholarship to a lackluster NCAA Division II program at a small college with much lower standards and a student population of less than 1,000.

My younger brother knew him and asked him about it. He replied that while he would likely have a great athletic career at the big school, the odds were that he would never be able to graduate. He said that while he would be a good college player, he wasn't large enough to play in the NFL, or if he did, not for long, and with no degree, would be back home soon with no real future other than farm labor.

On the other hand, he said that at the Division II school he did attend, not only would he also get to play but he would also graduate. He said having a degree and being black and with affirmative action, he would never have much problem finding a good job, something he could never hope to achieve without a degree.

In other words, in choosing a school, in addition to selecting the school by what you intend to study, make sure you go to one where you will be more likely to graduate.

That makes sense. The problem is I don't know what I want to study either, so that doesn't exactly narrow down my options :? the reason it's hard for me to decide is because I know what I like, which is singing, it's pretty much my only real interest; I am more generally interested in music, and I would love to do something with music as a career. The problem is I didn't really realize this until I'd already started college majoring in physics. I'm very good at math, physics, science etc. and so I always felt like that was what I should do. People (indirectly) made me feel like I'd be wasting my abilities doing something else. So with music, as far as my abilities, I'm not exactly competitive. I have no idea how well I would do studying music, so I still keep shying away from it in favor of more scientific areas of study. I know they say you should just do what you enjoy but it's easier said than done I suppose, at least for me.

I mean, I wouldn't even mind being a high school choir teacher or something, I always loved choir. But like I said, I feel like I'm wasting my abilities, considering how good I am at other things. It's a crappy dilemma to be in, because it affects my entire future :?

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 12:49 am

L_Holmes wrote:
eric76 wrote:

That makes sense. The problem is I don't know what I want to study either, so that doesn't exactly narrow down my options :? the reason it's hard for me to decide is because I know what I like, which is singing, it's pretty much my only real interest; I am more generally interested in music, and I would love to do something with music as a career. The problem is I didn't really realize this until I'd already started college majoring in physics. I'm very good at math, physics, science etc. and so I always felt like that was what I should do. People (indirectly) made me feel like I'd be wasting my abilities doing something else. So with music, as far as my abilities, I'm not exactly competitive. I have no idea how well I would do studying music, so I still keep shying away from it in favor of more scientific areas of study. I know they say you should just do what you enjoy but it's easier said than done I suppose, at least for me.

I mean, I wouldn't even mind being a high school choir teacher or something, I always loved choir. But like I said, I feel like I'm wasting my abilities, considering how good I am at other things. It's a crappy dilemma to be in, because it affects my entire future :?

Any particular kind of music? Depending on the type of music, you might be able to find a school where you can study in a scientific area while enjoying playing music on the side. It might help to go to school in a town with a very good musical presence and where you can meet other musicians to play together.

You might also ask auntblabby for his opinion. He's clearly far more knowledgeable about music than I will ever be.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 1:14 am

eric76 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Any particular kind of music? Depending on the type of music, you might be able to find a school where you can study in a scientific area while enjoying playing music on the side. It might help to go to school in a town with a very good musical presence and where you can meet other musicians to play together.

You might also ask auntblabby for his opinion. He's clearly far more knowledgeable about music than I will ever be.

Specifically I'm interested in theory and composition. Also performance; not quite as much though, because I really want to understand theory and how to write music.

And why, did auntblabby study music?

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 3:58 am

L_Holmes wrote:
eric76 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Specifically I'm interested in theory and composition. Also performance; not quite as much though, because I really want to understand theory and how to write music.

And why, did auntblabby study music?

I guess not formally, but his knowledge is quite impressive.

I think that the University of Texas at Austin has a good music program as well as very good science programs. In addition, they have a strong music scene in Austin. One approach might be to see if you can get into their CAP program where you take a year of approved courses at other universities in the UT system and then if you meet requirements you can transfer to the University of Texas. I think that the CAP program is supposed to be for freshmen so I'm not sure if going in as a sophomore would work.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2015, 8:11 am

There are a lot of schools that have support services specific to autistic students. I am currently working on a searchable database of these schools - I have a version available on my website but it doesn't have a lot of information yet. If you go to www.asd-dr.com and use Guest as the login name and Guest as the password, then click on the college search tab at the top you can at least get a general idea of what schools provide support services.

I hope this helps.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 2:09 pm

I never knew you were into composing, Mr Holmes. The Oberlin Conservatory is in Ohio, and very famous.

There must be some good music schools in the Denver area (where pot is legal). I think Boulder, near Denver, would be conducive to your creative growth. You'd gave to get a roommate there, though, for rents are high there.

You should research Colorado colleges.

If you go for teaching/education, community college is not a bad start.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 8:09 pm

It's best to figure out what you want to study first and make sure that you have strong interest in that area, can imagine yourself with a career in that area, and also you have motivation to complete college. Then, probably apply to some schools that you like and can imagine yourself attending.

If you have high scores and grades from high school, good recommendations, and good essays, then you will probably get into colleges with moderate acceptance rates, they won't definitely hold your educational history against you and reject you only because of that. I am not sure if you have to tell them about that or not, perhaps look at their application forms and see if it is required to report previous college attendance. If not, don't mention it, and pretend that you are applying after working for some time after high school.

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2015, 4:33 am

With music, composition and musicology I would not bother about Asperger-friendliness or not. In music, there are in any case many Aspergers or people having the phenotype, in particular with the teachers, and people are generally pretty tolerant and rather relaxed (not all though!). Probably that is one of the reasons why you feel attracted to that field. As for one of the professors in musicology at Santa Barbara, he seems to have a very Asperger profile himself (from what somebody told me).

So I would go a little bit for the city and the climate, have a look at the teachers and their profile and specializations, eventually go there for a week, in order to check out, if you like them. For me, city and teacher(s) are most important, in music the teacher factor is even more important.

If you are interested in the "physical" side of music, you might also consider musicology in combination with cognitive/computational musicology or some digital arts course, a university with the latter might be quite glad about a candidate with a music background. You could use your Asperger as a reason for a tailor-made study plan to fit your OCD needs :D

What kind of music would you like to compose?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 5:10 am

Being that my BA is in Music History, you might not want to limit yourself to too narrow a field of study. I sure wish I didn't, because, until I got my Master's in Library and Information Science, the only thing coming out of my mouth while working after graduation was "Would you like fries with that? :( ". If you can manage to stomach to take an accounting course or a few courses in Information Technology, you have a better chance of landing a job. Then again, if you're musically, as well as mechanically inclined, become a musical instrument technician. Believe me, a good instrument tech is worth it. Finding a good woodwind repair tech (especially one that can repair tempramental instruments like Loree oboes, Buffet Clarinets, Etc.) and set them up properly is like hen's teeth.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2015, 1:45 pm

Dmarcotte wrote:
There are a lot of schools that have support services specific to autistic students. I am currently working on a searchable database of these schools - I have a version available on my website but it doesn't have a lot of information yet. If you go to http://www.asd-dr.com and use Guest as the login name and Guest as the password, then click on the college search tab at the top you can at least get a general idea of what schools provide support services.

I hope this helps.

I just wanted to update everyone that the database is now open to the public and no login or password is needed - feel free to check it out.