Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:15 am

I've been thinking of reapplying to a state university that's very close to home to try and get my parents to let me do sleep away college like I want. My therapist wants me to take a class over the summer to try and "prove myself" which doesn't thrill me. I am scared that even if I do everything right and do good at the job I got (if I ever get my schedule haha) and do the summer thing that they will still back out and I will be super disappointed again. Should I even bother applying to university and risk something happening again when I can't go? Or should I just cross my fingers and hope that 9.40 USD/hour at Walmart will be enough for me to get an apartment? Which would still be an issue because the disabled program it turns out can't get me transportation and I would have to get a taxi which is very expensive....

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:32 am

You can find better-paying jobs through employment-agencies. Becoming employable is more of a matter of your experience-level & punctual-consistency rather than simply an academic-performance. Unless the school & classes you plan to take will teach you the skills as to how to dress-up & conduct yourself for interviews, how to answer interview-questions, and manners in which to keep your work-records, resumé, work-history straight & organised, etc., then the school isn't going to teach you anything useful for immediate employment but instead becomes a trap of student-debt...

Either way, you need the experience of having gone through actual job-interviews, how to answer various common interview-questions, etc., and with enough experience, even a former "aspie" like me was able to get to the point where I could always consistently & easily gain employment any time I wanted, due to knowing how the job-hunting process works which allowed me to always be the "most-qualified" candidate for said jobs that were available, plus it's actually easier to become re-employed anywhere else if you have an actual work-history.

I can't tell you what to do about living arrangements, and I cannot recommend doing what I once did, because I could take care of myself being a guy that knows kung fu and all, for I had lived in my car during those time-periods. Perhaps you could work for me though if you're anywhere in my area as I have to deal with an over-loaded amount of "inherited stuff" that needs to be sold & I've designed a system to be able to do this work that is very well-oriented towards aspie-types (because all it involves is the transcription of ISBN's into a list & then listing it on-line for sale through Amazon so it's basically all office-work).

Some Employment-Agencies that have work out for me before:

Remedy Intelligent-Staffing (its structure seems to have changed since the last time I did work for them though)
Smart-Talent
ManPower
Availability Services

I know there are a few others but you can probably find newer ones (employment-agencies) that have come out by now.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:45 am

Don't college graduates get BETTER jobs, however? And, I really, really want to know what it's like not to live with my parents. I love them despite everything but I hate living with them. And the state school is cheap enough.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 10:11 am

I think in this case, you probably just have to suck it up and jump through their hoops. Do the summer class.

But, yes, you should bother.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:03 am

That is absolutely NOT true UNLESS you plan into get into SPECIFIC professions such as Radiology... considering that America is a "nation of the world's most-literate (i.e.: degree-holding) burger-flippers" that information you have is severely out-dated.

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Don't college graduates get BETTER jobs, however? And, I really, really want to know what it's like not to live with my parents. I love them despite everything but I hate living with them. And the state school is cheap enough.

Here is to help you get caught up on the reality of college, although it may be fun, you are wasting your time AND money if you do not go into very specific fields, and as far as better-paying jobs, you go to vocational-school for that, because then you learn actual skills that are needed in society, whilst colleges mostly only teach you how to regurgitate what you've read in a book without bothering to show you how to dissect the information from the book into real-world field-testing such to the point that you can prove the claims made by the book to be factual-incorrect.

Once you have the ability to randomly grab any book and can "prove" that the information contained within many college & university & "science" text-books are wrong THEN you can "put fear" into those acadème who think that they're "smart" and "intelligent" when the reality is more like this...

It's ONE thing to believe what's going on in the world based on what others have "told" you or what you've "read from a book" but ANOTHER thing ENTIRELY to learn what's going on in the world from actual personal-experience.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 8:50 am

Yes you should bother! Otherwise you won't ever make more than 9.40 an hour at a Walmart!

Can you start at a community college? That would be a good way to find out what you would like to major in. Most 4 years will accept transfers from community colleges. You could maybe even do a Summer course or two to get your feet wet.

Don't be in such a hurry to do everything at once. I know you're eager to be out on your own, but living with your parents can help you save a lot of money. Maybe you can change things around in your room so it's more like a little efficiency apartment? Put like a little dorm fridge in there? Then in a few months when you're ready you'll have some money saved up and be in a better position to get your own place.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 11:00 am

Already tried CC. I want college SPECIFICALLY so I can move out. I'm looking for the full experience.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:51 am

I hereby randomly adopt you as 私の妹「いもうと」です。I wonder if I should let you move in here though...

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Already tried CC. I want college SPECIFICALLY so I can move out. I'm looking for the full experience.

You could probably go into a specific language-major once you decide upon a second language that you want to become fluent in and become a translator/interpreter between said language. Translators/interpreters are always in-demand in certain parts of the world depending on where you want to live (I know for a fact that Nintendo is always actively hiring for translators/interpreters who can translate technical-language from JP into EN but Nintendo's base is in Redmond, Washington, but that is just an example of why I put the "depending on where you want to live and what language you want to master" phrase in here, because certain locations will have more of need for certain language-translations/interpreters than other locations, just do your home-work/research before comitting to any particular job, because a higher-paying one may be around the corner if you pay attention to which jobs are available).

I do not currently live in Washington, although I used to live in that location (thus one of the reasons I was familiar with the existence of translation-jobs), currently in South Dakota now. Anyway, I have a LOT of employment-experience (I can always land a job easily if I wanted to but I'm picky about whom I work for and what kind of position/compensation they have to offer for my time), and that is why I know how the "job-market/system" works (plus I've also been in a few colleges as well as many different schools in various countries whilst growing up), and another advantage of being able to speak a foreign-language is that you have a lot more bargaining chips that way (can even integrate entirely into a foreign-language-speaking culture once you become fluent enough plus Americans are considered "smart" [for the standards given to Americans anyway] if they can speak any language beyond English).