Are the Art Institute schools a fraud?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2009, 2:03 am

Wow, I was thinking about ITT Tech too. The commericials do a pretty good job convincing us how wonderful it is, but I was a bit sceptical. I always am.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 5:59 am

Mist01 wrote:
Wow, I was thinking about ITT Tech too. The commericials do a pretty good job convincing us how wonderful it is, but I was a bit sceptical. I always am.

Run! Run far far away! I emailed them once just to ask about the content of a program, and had this nasty woman calling me every other day for weeks on end, demanding that I come in to sign paperwork. :x
She wouldn't stop, even when I told her I had been accepted to a university and would be going there instead. I had to have the phone company block calls from ITT. It was absolutely ridiculous. IADT also tried to force me to sign paperwork, only theirs was for taking out loans! I actually got into a heated argument with the lady in front of the entire visiting group. You don't ask someone to sign for loans when they haven't even accepted a place at your school... :(

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 6:20 am

I should probably mention, I do very much sympathize with you if that wasn't apparent through all the places I've checked out...

If you're anything like me, you know what you're good at but you don't know what to do with it. You want to go into higher education to learn something worthwhile, which makes all those nonsense class they make you take at universities sound like a waste of time.

After going through all of it, and now being a postgrad student, I can honestly say a lot of it is a waste of time. However, if I hadn't struggled through it in the hopes it would eventually lead me somewhere, I wouldn't have the options that I do today. 6 years ago I was failing out of Pitt's engineering program, and now I'm about to start a PhD. I spent a couple years at AIU, though it was the one in London, where the courses are actually certified (and the degrees are issued) by a real British university. It was crap. Sure, I learned a lot, but it was because I wanted to learn. They make it as hard as possible to actually succeed, so if you go in with no motivation, you'll get nowhere.

It's a matter of finding somewhere you can fit. Talk to the instructors and the students. Look at class sizes and teacher-to-student ratio. See what nonsense classes they make you take, and find some that, while still being a waste of time, would at least be interesting to you. When I was at Pitt I got into eastern european literature. I took a class on vampire lore and another on fairytales. I also took literature courses in sci-fi and children's books. After a while it's actually nice to do classes like those that have nothing to do with your major. It keeps one from getting bored. :wink:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep an open mind. I know it seems like a crap system, and I agree that it is a crap system (People have to pay to be educated? Lame.), but that's the way it is. Find a way to make the best of it.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2009, 4:52 pm

I might actually go to community college. Compared to the Art Institute, classes are extremely cheap. $60,000 compared to $6,000. Yeah. Theres one class, Biotechnology, that insterests me. Does anyone know anything about that? Ive looked online for careeres in that field and found nothing. Apparently the God, google is limited in finding good websites.

Last edited by Mist01 on 25 Jun 2009, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2009, 1:17 pm

I've suggested this before on here I think, but I use clusty.com. It sometimes has more academic results than google does.

zeusproto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2009, 5:59 pm

Go to Google and TYPE: SUE THE ART INSTITUTE as a search, you will find a myspace site that has a lot of very upset students and graduates.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:03 pm

While it is possible that they can be legit, I just don't have a lot of faith in higher education that's advertised on TV late at night.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:05 pm

andriarose wrote:
Mist01 wrote:
I dont know where else to go. I wouldnt be able to handle having to do large essays in only a matter of a few days. I know that sounds like im making excuses, but I dont want to fail out of the school. I could possibly go to a community college, but I dont find anything they offer interesting. Im screwed.

Why not look through what all the colleges around have to offer, and maybe go visit some of them? There are a bazillion colleges in and around Pittsburgh - Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Carlow, Robert Morris, Duquesne, Point Park, De Vry, Chatham, Cal U, St. Vincent, Seton Hill, CCAC, CCBC...

If you're worried about deadlines and such, talk to the disabilities department.

Even if you're not sure about going to a university, it's worth looking through what's on offer to get an idea of what interests you.

Don't forget Slippery Rock!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2009, 4:32 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
andriarose wrote:
There are a bazillion colleges in and around Pittsburgh - Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Carlow, Robert Morris, Duquesne, Point Park, De Vry, Chatham, Cal U, St. Vincent, Seton Hill, CCAC, CCBC...

Okay, okay, I forgot a few... Slippery Rock, La Roche, Geneva, Grove City, IUP, Washington and Jefferson, Westminster, Allegheny...

Allegheny College was actually my favorite of all the schools I ever visited. It's tiny, friendly, and the academics are great. If they'd had more on offer in what I wanted to do, I'd have definitely gone there.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2009, 9:18 am

andriarose wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
andriarose wrote:
There are a bazillion colleges in and around Pittsburgh - Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Carlow, Robert Morris, Duquesne, Point Park, De Vry, Chatham, Cal U, St. Vincent, Seton Hill, CCAC, CCBC...

Okay, okay, I forgot a few... Slippery Rock, La Roche, Geneva, Grove City, IUP, Washington and Jefferson, Westminster, Allegheny...

Allegheny College was actually my favorite of all the schools I ever visited. It's tiny, friendly, and the academics are great. If they'd had more on offer in what I wanted to do, I'd have definitely gone there.

Cool, ill defenatly look into them.
And Ill also look into that myspace thing. It sounds interesting.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2009, 8:28 pm

I'm not sure I would classify the Art Institute as a fraud. They are very expensive.

They are regionally accredited which means that courses will transfer to another institution (I used to work as a transfer credit evaluator). It's up to the institution on how they transfer though (will it meet a core requirement or do we have to throw it in the electives). I.T.T. is not regionally accredited so that means if you bag the school then you will probably be hard pressed to find a school to accept the credits.

I suggest that you look at other schools and see what they have to offer in Pittsburgh. There are some awesome schools in PA. I think a wise option would be to start out at a community college. The tuition will be SO cheap. You can knock out the general requirements that every school has (english, math, science, etc.) then you can transfer to the school that you want (even if it's still the art institute). You will save a lot of money. CC of Allegheny County is 85.25 per credit....Art Institute is around $454 per credit.
CC of Allegheny County has articulation agreements with (seamless transfer to four-year schools):
Bethany College
California University of Pennsylvania
Carlow University
Chatham College
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
Duquesne University
Edinboro University
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Juniata College
LaRoche College
Lincoln University
Palmer College of Chiropractic
Point Park University
Seton Hill University
Thiel College
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Union University
Westminster College
Wheeling Jesuit College
Wilberforce University
Youngstown State University

If you decide to go to the Art Institute after the community college they will be very liberal about transferring credits (most for-profit schools are).

Good luck.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2009, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the list. Ill be sure to go through them when sometime.

My friend is defenatly going to AIP and he said it isnt a fraud, people are just so sour about it because they dont have the passion and determination people like him have for the stuff. He said the AI schools are for people who already have experience and passion with that stuff and the reason why it wouldnt work out for me, for example, is because im not willing to go home after classes and practice what they were teaching and work on the projects for the rest of the day, every day. I wont disagree with that. Plus, its all mostly freelance work, and thats extremely unreliable. It wouldnt be good to rely on it as my main source of income as well.

I think my main problem is finding a job I want, first of all. Once I decide that, ill look into schools that offer it. So far, im looking into Criminal Justice, Biotechnology, Architecture, and possibly music teaching, but im very disuaded by the huge amount of work involved. I dont want to come across as lazy, but I dont want my schooling to dominate my life 100%. I couldnt take the stress.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2009, 12:55 am

Mist01 wrote:
Thanks for the list. Ill be sure to go through them when sometime.

My friend is defenatly going to AIP and he said it isnt a fraud, people are just so sour about it because they dont have the passion and determination people like him have for the stuff. He said the AI schools are for people who already have experience and passion with that stuff and the reason why it wouldnt work out for me, for example, is because im not willing to go home after classes and practice what they were teaching and work on the projects for the rest of the day, every day. I wont disagree with that. Plus, its all mostly freelance work, and thats extremely unreliable. It wouldnt be good to rely on it as my main source of income as well.

I think my main problem is finding a job I want, first of all. Once I decide that, ill look into schools that offer it. So far, im looking into Criminal Justice, Biotechnology, Architecture, and possibly music teaching, but im very disuaded by the huge amount of work involved. I dont want to come across as lazy, but I dont want my schooling to dominate my life 100%. I couldnt take the stress.

Start by taking the general courses and electives and as you progress through the courses you should get a sense of what type of career path you should follow. Don't be discouraged with the amount of work involved. Take it at a slow and steady pace. Don't look at the whole package, just take it one step at a time. Try 1 or 2 courses your first semester and see how you handle it. Once you start getting used to studying maybe you can take 3 or 4 courses the next semester. If you have diagnosed aspergers or ADD you may be able to get accommodations.

jcmann89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2009, 10:50 pm

I graduated from The Art Institute of Houston in 2008 through their Media Arts & Animation program. It's a complete waste of money. My instructor actually said "you won't learn anything here" and his name is Norm Engle. He is correct. They do not use books with a set curriculum or examples for you to take home and practice. You basically have to spend hours on the web finding tutorials for free and teach yourself.
They spend their class time telling stories and having you work on your assignment. Where is the instruction and the lectures? Where is the hands on training? They spend more class hours allowing your fellow alumni (who lack skills and training) to critique your work, rather than lecture and instruct or teach you for what you are paying them.

These guys just want your money and they do not care about teaching you or preparing you to work in the real world. Now i'm over 60k in dept and I still don't have a job.
They do not teach rigging.........which is essential to animation. They have a very poor curriculum set up and most of the time you will over lap classes with graphic design, culinary, and photography students in a one-shop cattle call enrollment to fill the classes with the masses.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 6:57 pm

Quote:
I know about this smoking deck because my tour guide (who is also my recruiter) decided that it would be a great place to show me instead of something more useful like the inside of the classrooms or letting me watch part of a class.
That is NOT a good sign. Heh. Funny thing is, in high school I was looking at going to these schools, too. Luckily, my parents refused and I went to UB instead. They have a digital art program. Halfway through the second semester, I decided that this is definitely not what I want to do with the rest of my life. So, I've been changing majors ever since. :lol: There is always some work into any degree you go into. Thus far, chemistry is way more work than anthropology, which is my current major. But they're right, you just have to take a bunch of courses and see. It's so rare for someone to actually know what they want to do. Even with the field, you never know what you'll find. Does that sound cliche? Well it's true. XD. What about Penn State, they don't have a media studies program?

klick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2009, 4:34 pm

You might want to look into the Savannah College of Art and Design. I'm in their Visual Effects program, and it's pretty good (though expect to pay through the nose for tuition). I can pretty much guarantee you will learn new skills (if you don't either you can't be taught, or your skill level is such that you should already be applying for jobs in the industry and not wasting your time and money on school), and, more importantly, you'll start making contacts with companies and individuals that you can later tap to land a job.

Also, the disabilities services office is very adept at helping out students with Aspergers, and can get you pretty much any accommodation necessary for you to get your work done and learn what you need to do.