Does you consider contemporary schooling system oppressive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

Does you consider contemporary schooling system the European Model of it that is used in Europe, America and Asia as oppressive for freethinking individual.

You see most educational model on the world are based on Prussian educational system.

It's used in Europe, United States, Russia, China and many other part of the world.

The problem with that system is that killing our free spirit, the word of a teacher is treated like a Gospel even if said teacher is complete moron.

For exemple i'm from Poland, i also have Asperger Syndrome and had very difficult to adjust to schooling system, the same goes for ADHD kids and adults they are complete opposite to aspies but they certainly not NT's too the had the same problem, but both our groups have usually higher than usual IQ level yet we had problems with school or university (but university are usually more open minded)

JungHustle314
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2018, 10:20 am

For me, I'm not sure if I'd use the word oppressive. I believe the contemporary schooling system desperately needs reform, but like most, I do not have any solutions. I have had some really bad teachers but I have also had some excellent teachers. As someone on the spectrum, you can imagine the issues I had in school: special interests. Although I graduated at the top of my high school class, I could have easily gotten merit-based scholarships if I didn't have obsessions that were unrelated to what I was actually supposed to be studying.

I took World Geography in high school. At the time, my special interest was religion. My teacher actually gave me permission to teach the class about religion stating I "probably knew more about religion" than he did. He also told me to correct him if he got any information wrong. This teacher understood that he did not know everything and he was the only teacher to ever encourage my special interests. For this reason, I loved this class.

For the most part, even though I was a model student, traditional school does not work for me. My mind works differently, sometimes it was to my advantage, sometimes it was to my detriment. I was never oppressed but I felt like I could learn so much more on my own.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 2:05 pm

I find that teachers are often teaching subjects they know nothing about. I see teachers that know nothing about disabilities teaching students with disabilities. I think teachers should be assigned classes that fit their subject knowledge. If a teacher is a great math teacher, they should teach math. Teachers should be assigned students based on their knowledge and experience with different groups of students. If a teacher has a lot of experience with students with autism, then they should teach the students with autism. If the teacher knows nothing about autism, then they should stick to teaching the gen Ed population. It doesn't help that we have so many administrators fresh out of college with little to no teaching experience in charge of curriculum and class placement.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

JungHustle314 wrote:
For me, I'm not sure if I'd use the word oppressive. I believe the contemporary schooling system desperately needs reform, but like most, I do not have any solutions. I have had some really bad teachers but I have also had some excellent teachers. As someone on the spectrum, you can imagine the issues I had in school: special interests. Although I graduated at the top of my high school class, I could have easily gotten merit-based scholarships if I didn't have obsessions that were unrelated to what I was actually supposed to be studying.

I took World Geography in high school. At the time, my special interest was religion. My teacher actually gave me permission to teach the class about religion stating I "probably knew more about religion" than he did. He also told me to correct him if he got any information wrong. This teacher understood that he did not know everything and he was the only teacher to ever encourage my special interests. For this reason, I loved this class.

For the most part, even though I was a model student, traditional school does not work for me. My mind works differently, sometimes it was to my advantage, sometimes it was to my detriment. I was never oppressed but I felt like I could learn so much more on my own.

My 4th-grade special ed teacher let me teach the class too. She figured I knew more about animals than she ever would and whenever the other students had an animal related question the teacher would tell them. "I don't know. Ask MagicMeerkat."