Do you have plans for after college?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2010, 1:42 pm

Plans after college? As soon as I finish college, I'm getting a temp job so that I'll be earning money immediately. I'm not doing regular job hunting at all.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm

vet school

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2010, 3:41 am

After I get my Bachelors I really want to get my masters but I reckon I'll probably get a job before or while I'm doing my masters. I'd get a PHD but they don't have them in my field. I've already done an internship with an ad agency and then was hired by the same company I interned with the next summer as an art director (and I'll be doing another internship this summer in the advertising sector of a multimedia company) and I'm still a freshman at my uni so I think I'm doing ace on the whole experience thing but I plan on doing an internship or a summer position every year because it's so much fun and it gets me a lot of valuable connections. I don't know if I'm going to get a job in graphic design or digital animation of a sort after college since digital animation is my major but I've already been working in the graphic design field for three years. I'll probably get a design job or at least do freelance though since people keep asking me to do freelance now but I just started taking digital animation and 3D modeling classes so my plans might change within a semester.

Laar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2010, 3:59 am

Currently I'm doing a mathematics and physics bachelor, after that it will be a master though which one I don't know yet (It's quite uncommon here to skip the master and go directly to a job). After that I don;t know it yet, though there is quite a possibility that I will stay at an university.

You should like to learn more about a subject if you're going to university, as it will not be easy stuff. Though if you're motivated (and think that you're good enough) it is certainly worth it to consider.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 12:01 am

I don't have any very concrete plans quite yet, but I'm thinking of either going to graduate school (if I get accepted) or joining PeaceCorps or AmeriCorps, just to get some more experience around the world while helping others in need. Depending on your major, I hear that it's actually good to take a break between undergraduate and graduate school. It allows for a little more growing up. I also hear that taking a break slightly increases your chances of getting in to graduate school, as you are a bit more mature and had time to think about what you really want to do. Of course, they say that it's good to take a *purposeful* break, like a long internship or PeaceCorps or AmeriCorps, as one can gain lots of experience while preparing to apply to graduate school. Also, by joining PeaceCorps or AmeriCorps, I could get some of my loans payed off, which is another advantage. Again, I'm still thinking about it. I would really like to get into graduate school, but I'm not sure if I would be quite ready to do that right after getting my Bachelor's degree. Some people get their Master's degree, but there isn't much funding for a lot of Master's degree programs in Psychology. Either that or I could get a Master's degree in something else. I'm just trying to understand how many options I have for now.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 1:55 am

My major is in Accounting. I am going after a Bachelor's degree in this vocational field. My wife-to-be, Jacklyn, wishes me to find work as soon as I am done with the degree, and this is my aim. I will actively search for a career in finance, either as a bookkeeper or an accountant. Which ever career is actually available and/or whichever pays more when I complete my degree and at the particular companies which may offer the job.

However, if I cannot find the career within six months of the obtainment of the piece of paper, then I will have to start paying for my student loans then. So, I'll either have to have a part time junk job with scheduled work hours randomly distributed over the week, or, if I still cannot find a junk job as is now the case, then I may have to return to college for another degree and add more debt just so that I won't have to be required to pay for loans when I don't have the financial ability to.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the career in the field of finance and be able to start paying off loans and saving for a house. Jacklyn and I had wanted a Monolithic dome, and I hope to one day be able to afford the costs to construct one, perhaps using the first house as capital, however it is difficult to plan for wonderful things when the current finances are barely adequate to cover the cost of the wedding, bills. Such is counting eggs before they hatch, or perhaps even before they are laid.

If I have to return to college to avoid paying back loans when it is not feasible to, then I'll need to select a course of study. I have always been interested in electronics, and a local college, as in less than two hours walking distance without using the bus, offers both a certificate and an associates program in electronics technology. It isn't exactly electronics engineering, but it could lead to a job as a technician or repairman for electronic devices. These would be short term courses allowing me to return to searching for work in a year or two if taken full time. As for longer term degrees, my main interests are chemistry, Latin, ancient history, physics, Biblical languages, and computer programming. However, these things, if Rasmussen is an example for how it is at other colleges, would be easier to learn on my own time.

I can actually learn more from the textbooks if I don't have to keep track of a multitude of assignments and meet deadlines, so it is actually preferable to learn thing on my own rather than paying to meet deadlines and skim through textbooks rushing constantly to keep a 4.0 which employers wont believe anyway. So, after I'm through with my current degree in college, I intend to find work as a bookkeeper or accountant or some financial career if possible. Going back to college would be more of a stratagem of deterrence for while I am unable to repay the previous student loan debt.

If I do obtain a career in finance, then I'll be able to repay the loans and not need to return to college. I generally disrespect those in authority, especially when they abuse the privileges entailed in having authority. But for $30,000 a year, even, I would keep my mouth shut and not complain or argue at work. Thankfully accounting and bookkeeping are jobs where accuracy and attention to detail is valued highly, so I may actually be appreciated for my work for once. .... perhaps not though, as usually such is just plain "expected" ... but the income is worth the lack of appreciation. At a job like McDonald's, where the sporadic income is microscopic compared to the cost of living, I want my work to be appreciated since I might as well be a volunteer. But if the income is in excess of necessary expenditures, then it would be vastly more possible for me to put up with the normal ludicrousness of the expectations of incompetent leadership. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my mouth shut and not be fired for insubordination or some other excuse for revenge that a manager gives if you tick them off.

With even that much income, things will finally improve and eventually Jacklyn and I can buy things we like, improve our living conditions, and perhaps raise a family sooner rather than later. I want Jackie to have the garden and pomegranate tree that she wants. I want my birds to have their own living space, like an aviary, where they can be fruitful and multiply, and more easily enjoy their lives and be happy. I want to have a library filled with references, textbooks, the works of the scholars of the past, ancient manuscripts, how-to books, and fictional books written by authors who actually know how to write (such as Michael Crichton, C.S. Lewis, et al.) I want whatever kids Jacklyn and I have to be able to grow up without having to know poverty, but still taught how to be responsible intellectually. Jacklyn and I want to homeschool our kids and spare them the drama of public school, but provide them with socialization through clubs and homeschool association functions. I want them to value learning, value truth, value accuracy, value attention to detail, value things which have largely been forgotten when people prefer quantity over quality and prefer pleasant fictions over truth. I hope that I can provide a good example to Jacklyn's and my children. I hope that things will continue to improve for us. I have a lot to work toward, and much work needs to be done.

sedjat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2010, 6:08 pm

CGKings317 wrote:
I just started an M.Sc. program in Earth Science at a Canadian university. When I eventually graduate (hopefully in ~2 - 2.5 years) I hope to go for my Ph.D in volcano science. I see myself in academics for pretty much my entire life.

~CGKings317 :)

OMG! Another Aspie who loves Geology! :D I'm working on my PhD now. You might look at University of Buffalo if you're interested in volcanoes.