Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Jillysue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2010, 10:51 pm

Hello. I'm new. My 8 year old son recently diagnosed with Aspergers. Is being told how weird he is in school. Kids don't believe him when he talks about Whale sharks and Nurse sharks. I mean for pete's sake, who doesn't know those exist. The teacher is apparently clueless as to their existence also. I made him copies of pics off internet but I seriously just want to go kick their obtuse little butts. I mean when your child is in bed crying over not having any friends in school and being ostracized; what do you do???? I am afraid for my son's self esteem. He is bright and funny and interested in guitar and sharks and all types of animals. He is in therapy (Psycho) and starts speech and ABA tomorrow. Would appreciate ANY feedback.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 3:07 pm

Get him involved in an activity not related to school so he can meet some kids he doesn't go to school with. Ideally it should be something related to his interests so that the other kids in the activity will have some overlapping interests. Summer is coming. Maybe there is an outdoor summer nature program you can sign him up for where the kids learn about animals and nature in an outdoor setting. If there are nature or science museums in your area, they often also have summer programs. In an activity like that which is not affiliated with school he is more likely to run into other kids who won't find his interests so obscure.