I nearly have no plans after high school :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 12:22 pm

The special ed program at my local community college got cut (but they're trying to bring it back) and I can't go to any college with the IEP diploma I have. Like I said before, I don't want to work at McDonald's most of my life because I can't handle the fast-paced, social environment there, like for example, I don't like it when random customers come up to me (when I'm cleaning the lobby) and say stuff I don't know like, "Where's the nearest grocery store?" or "Do you know if the manager's here?". I have been applying for some other jobs, but I'm worried that I might not get them. Plus, I have to present my senior project next week, and I have no clue what to say for my plans after high school.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 12:39 pm

I'm so impressed that you see this as a problem and are looking for ways to find a good career. It's really good that you aren't willing to just drift. Is there any way you could turn any of your interests into a career? Do you have any interesting talents? What if you went and got your GED, would that make more colleges able to take you? Not knowing you personally it's hard to make suggestions, but I would like to say that if you keep working at it the way you are I am sure you will find something, even if you have to work a few crummy jobs in the meantime.

Kiley

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 12:46 pm

Kiley wrote:
I'm so impressed that you see this as a problem and are looking for ways to find a good career. It's really good that you aren't willing to just drift. Is there any way you could turn any of your interests into a career? Do you have any interesting talents? What if you went and got your GED, would that make more colleges able to take you? Not knowing you personally it's hard to make suggestions, but I would like to say that if you keep working at it the way you are I am sure you will find something, even if you have to work a few crummy jobs in the meantime.

Kiley

Yeah, I've been thinking about taking the GED test, but I don't know if it's hard or not. Also, I do have a interest in movies, so I could probably work at a movie theater or a video store. I do have lots of talents, but my major ones are with computers (mostly video editing and Microsoft Office programs).

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 5:04 pm

Just google "GED sample test" and you'll find a few sites that have tests similar to a standard GED that you can take online, so you'll know whether you could pass a test or not. Frankly, it's not very easy to find a job that isn't some sort of customer-service type position without prior skills or education. Once you get your GED, look into civil service tests on government websites. If there's one thing an aspie tends to be good at, its multiple choice tests.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:47 pm

Get a GED practice test booklet at your local bookstore or library. There are places that give free GED practice classes where you could practice as well. My dad teaches one. Not many people come, I think usually two people show up at a time or something like that. And they are usually people that have been out of high school for a while and truly need help with stuff, so you wouldn't feel dumb or anything around them (if you're the kind of person who worries about that). Oh, and also, most junior colleges give scholarships for certain scores on the GED. Just from reading your posts, you seem plenty intelligent to take it :) I think you should go for it. And if you don't, if you look around for a bit and find a job better than McD's or something like that.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 May 2010, 7:50 am

I'm not in the USA so I don't know what the GED is but I was/am in a similar situation as you. I left high school with no NCEA credits so couldn't get into any other course even if I wanted to. I don't want to work at any meaningless 9-5 job either, I don't think anyone does.

I found this program called foundation studies and it teaches people what they otherwise would have learned at school to gain university entrance. I just took the pre-entry assessment today and if I get accepted I start in July. As hopeless as some situations may seem you should never accept anything in your life which is less than what you want and deserve.

Sorry I can't offer any advice but I'm wishing you the best. I'm sure you will find a solution because the USA is full of opportunities. It's just a shame that there's so many people that sometimes, the 'system' can't handle them all and some simply get lost in all the chaos (then again, who are we to complain? We aren't living in a third world country).

Ok my speech is over LOL.