Not motivated for college and I'm missing the point

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2011, 9:00 pm

I'm going to community college right now and I really don't care about my school work at all. I procrastinate nowadays to the point where sometimes I don't even do the assignment. I had to drop English 102 a few days ago because I felt like I didn't do well enough and skipped too many days and papers. And last semester I had to drop speech too because I wasn't showing up and didn't do the first one but that's the only thing I'm doing good in this semester.

I've only been able to take one class directly related to my major and that's one that anybody can take, I still have like 8 other classes, and I can't even touch them until I finish my maths.

I have a 40% right now, with an hour left to do several assignments that are due tonight, I can't understand ANY of the things on them. And then after that there's only two or three weeks left to get my grade up to at least a 70% to pass. I need to pass this math so that I can take another one over the summer, so that I can finally take one in the fall semester concurrently with a class related to my major.

I really do not understand or care for these BS classes that aren't related to my major, I know colleges want to put out well-rounded educated people, but I don't really care about that. I just want my damn piece of paper that says I can do what I already know how to do(Associate's or Bachelor's degree) but there's so much other crap in the way and I don't know what to do.

I really think I've hit a roadblock with this math, I can't do it anymore, I won't be able to do it next time I take it either and my parents are going to be pissed that I'll have to waste another semester taking only BS classes because I didn't care enough to study hard and do well the previous semester. I just firmly don't agree with these BS classes to the core of me. I only wanted to go to college for the girls tbh, and that's not even happening.

I'm sick of being scared of and feeling guilty around my parents, all they expect of me is to graduate from college but my only other options once they figure out that I screwed up this semester too are the military or one of those small tech schools that only focus on the core parts of your major but won't get you promoted very much or at all in the real world.

I'm about to owe them $1200 for dropped/failed classes, plus about $2100 for repairs for my car because I crashed it but I really like my car.

What am I supposed to do? I don't feel very good about anything anymore

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:32 pm

Most of my courses were BS courses but I actually enjoyed them. If you're not doing well in school, take a break while your GPA is still fairly intact so that you can save it should you desire to return to school at a later date. There's no point in driving it into the ground.

You should check around universities because they actually have different transfer requirements and a lot of the private ones don't require the GE courses that public ones do. My sister chose her university based on the fact that they didn't require math.

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2011, 8:48 am

I would love to take a break, but my parents would probably rather punish me and make me keep going because they know I have the potential to be a money-maker and my mom wants me to move out as soon as possible because she can't afford to live in our house since the divorce. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll get academic probation but then I'll never heard the end of it about that from my parents. I just don't care that much about taking all these BS classes, some are impossible like this math class and most don't serve any purpose to me since they're things I already know how to do. It's unfortunate because having good income is probably what I could work with in a few years with girls, rather than just my car and nothing else right now but the motivation just isn't there.

I only have three BS classes left I think if I count the ones I'm failing, just English 1020 Math 0071 and Math 1040(which is the one I can take concurrently). I was screwed with an unhelpful senile teacher in English that liked to take on more than she could manage and frequently left out details, and wouldn't help people when they pointed that stuff out to her. And then Math 0071 is a lot harder than 0031(Which I passed already with a C) from the first half of the semester, and it touches on all the hardest points pf things from 0031, as well as parts of math I had never been introduced to before, that everyone else just magically picked up of course, it feels like the teacher just skipped over explaining something to me for a week and there was suddenly a whole bunch of stuff showing up I'd never seen before, even though I've come to class every single day.

And I would imagine private colleges would be more expensive though, very risky if I end up not liking the major classes or get screwed with a bad teacher. Plus I like everything else about my college right now, including the people and the environment and everything, it's just that the classes are hard and they suck.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm

sounds like you need to build the courage to ask for study habits or direct study help from acquaintances in your college. At a community college usually not too many students bother their teachers; so they will probably be available to help you study in their offices too. I probably should have stayed at my community college and took nursing there instead at of transferring to a university and pursuing a Biology bachelor.

Also, evaluate yourself for depression; and don't listen to the people saying pills are wrong. There are many high quality studies that show actual temporary chemical imbalances in the body that co-exist with depression and can be fixed till you start feeling better. Then you do not need them anymore once you are feeling confident again.

Zaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2011, 10:11 pm

Im actually in the exact situation you are. if eel guilty about having my parents pay for this worthless s**t and im trying to get my 2 year and leave college but i might fail out because i cant motivate myself to go to class anymore....

but, i am lucky enough financial access to an escape plan. im leaving the states for costa rica to open my own buisness and volunteer among the 100's of organic farmstays there and life a simple life in paradise.

DCxMagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 5:34 am

well it really sounds like you need a break, I was exactly like that ended up f*****g up my GPA quite a lot and have to deal with it now since I actually am on my way to a bachlor's in engineering with automotive focus. If you really can't take a break then you gonna find SOMETHING in the class to stay interested and get you to keep coming, even if it just to talk to a cute girl or something. But honestly talk to your parents and describe the situation and reason with them, your 18 your allow to take some time off when your still young and go have fun.

The_Green_Ego

02 May 2011, 10:04 pm

Drop out i don't care what your parents or your friends say. People learn differently than others, and you seem like the type of person that doesn't want to sit in a classroom and be told what he wants to learn, you want to go out into the world and discover what you want to learn. There are many other alternatives, and college isn't the only one. DROP OUT AND CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM BY LEARNING WHATEVER YOU FEEL LIKE

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2011, 12:17 am

I felt like that when I was in college, right out of high school. The problem I had was that I didn't care for what I was doing (a technical associates degree program). Once I took a break for a few years and finally discovered what I have a passion for, I was able to right the ship and get straight A's this semester (my first semester back in 10 years.)

Of course getting a diagnosis last year, treating my sleep issues, and changing my diet also played a role in my success this year too.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 3:06 pm

Best idea, pull out, get a job, go back to school when you asre up for it.

I have known several who profited greatly for not presing at the wrong time.