Can I get this required class waived

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

blahblah123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been doing just fine in university so far, but there is one class I just can't stand - ENGLISH! The class sizes are small, and you have to interact with all your classmates. I have social anxiety disorder so it's REALLY hard for me to participate in this class. I come out of the class feeling horribly.

So... what do you guys think? Can I possibly get this class waived? Or could there be special accomodations for me?

Last edited by blahblah123 on 06 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

Have you asked at the Dean's or Registrar's office?

Either would be better than expecting the general public to know anything about your school's policies and practices.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blahblah123

06 Sep 2011, 5:17 pm

True, but I just want to know if universities generally provide accommodations for social anxiety disorder, just so I know if it's even worth pursuing the matter.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

You might get some kind of accommodation if you have a legit diagnosis, but I doubt you'll get english class waived--unless you can CLEP out of it.

English gives you the foundational tools (the ability to read, write and THINK) you need to do college level work.... You NEED it, even if you don't like it.

If you think english is bad for social interaction, just wait until you have to take public speaking/communications class! :twisted:

Now that class REALLY sucks...

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
You might get some kind of accommodation if you have a legit diagnosis, but I doubt you'll get english class waived

I agree with this completely! At my school, I can get accommodation for participation, group work, group projects, etc. No way would my school alter the required courses for me though. I still have to do all the required work, I just get some accommodation to help me through that work in some of the areas I struggle (ie. I have to go to class and do assignments, but profs are lenient toward my participation). I don't know whether you are officially diagnosed or not, but just keep in mind that unless you are, the school will not give you ANY accommodation. If you have a diagnosis, I would go see your disability office ASAP (you will need formal documentation as support, btw). And if you do not have a diagnosis, and need the accommodation, then you may want to make an appointment for that ASAP.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2011, 3:23 am

Just come up with a good story to waive your English requirements. Or if you cannot waive it by coming up with a good story, try to take a test to be placed out of it.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

i took it online. WAY better

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

No school is going to waive somebody out of required English courses. Good written communication skills are required for most jobs out there. You can try to test out of taking the required English course's but that's about it. Otherwise I hate to say this but you're just going to have to suck it up and take the class. One thing I've discovered is with social anxiety like most fears the only way you can truly conquer it is to face it head on.