colleges for teenagers with aspergers syndrome

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ashie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2006, 12:00 pm

hi. i am 19 years old.i went to a special needs highschool in tennesse. but i really want to go to college. do any of you know of colleges for teenagers with aspergers syndrome.

sincerely,
ashie

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 12:15 pm

Er, specifically for them? I doubt that even exists.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 12:17 pm

Do your interests revolve around engineering, computers, or some technical field? I'm not aware of any colleges that are just for aspergers, per se, but technical schools, such as MIT or some technical institute, are quite good. They're more technically-oriented and I probably would stay away from preppie or business-oriented or law schools, such as Yale or Oxford or Princeton. They tend to be far more people-oriented. A two-year transfer school, such as a county college, might not be bad, either, but you'd have to understand the transference of credits. Many of these two-year colleges have programs for people with learning difficulties.

- Ray M -

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 3:04 pm

not just for them.... there are special needs colleges but they deal with all types of people.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 3:05 pm

welcome, By the way

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2006, 3:05 pm

There is only 1 and thats in the UK but it really only teaches u life skills

Stop talking trash

ashie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2006, 3:43 pm

Raph522 wrote:
not just for them.... there are special needs colleges but they deal with all types of people.

what types of people do you mean?

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 3:54 pm

all different types, people with autism, downs syndrome, dyslexia, aphasia, math problems, average..... just if you learn in a different way, or want a specialized plan for yorself... i don't know of any of these colleges but i knew people were talking about going to them.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 8:36 pm

There is a list of colleges that have experience dealing with Autism below.

http://www.larsperner.com/autism/colleges.htm

Hopefully this helps you in your search, however, I am not sure if that is what you are looking for though.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 7:20 am

Doubt any specific for Asperger's Syndrome exist. But some institutions are very willing to adapt for you. For awhile, I had a smidge of accomodations for my college program. Then I decided I didn't really need them and I'd be happier without them. And that I didn't want them anymore wasn't a problem either.

Mind you, being that it was a computer course, it probably was already kind of suited for people with AS to begin with. (Wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the instructors had it)

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 3:41 pm

No, not that I know of.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 1:24 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
There is a list of colleges that have experience dealing with Autism below.

http://www.larsperner.com/autism/colleges.htm

Hopefully this helps you in your search, however, I am not sure if that is what you are looking for though.

I'm quite surprised that there aren't many technical schools on that list. One would think that technical schools have experiences in dealing with autism, at least the high-functioning types.

I guess, though, that these schools probably deal with it on a daily basis and don't even know it. I imagine there are a lot of aspies and undiagnosed aspies hidden within these schools, and I also imagine the same may even be true of some of the professors.

- Ray M -

Rosacoke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2006, 12:36 pm

I have read about one in West Virginia and one in Florida. Keep doing various searches on the internet, and they will pop-up.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 8:02 am

I don't think there are colleges with people with Asperger's.

em_06
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2006, 3:52 pm

Hi! Actually there is a college in Minnesota called Minnesota Life College. It is for students with Learning Disabilities and other disorders, like Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. It is a 3 year college and they teach you life skills for when you live on your own one day. I am currently attending this school and I really like it here!! Here is the website, http://www.minnesotalifecollege.com. you should check it out.

AmyRose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2006, 4:45 pm

I go to a regular tech college. In fact, I don't even need any of the accommodations I needed in high school because college is a different experience.