Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 3:50 pm

I'm going to be starting my last semester at college soon, and I'm already nervous. All my classes will be online, which should make things easier, however all my classes will require weekly discussions. That's what I'm getting nervous about. Normally I don't have too much trouble interacting online, but the professors also require my messages to be kind of long. Like around 300 words or more. I don't usually write that much and sometimes I have trouble explaining or discussing things online, as well as sometimes having trouble expressing myself through writing. So, I don't know how I'm going to do this. :(

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2007, 12:43 am

I know how that is. Last semester I took a course where we had to interview a lot of people and write a lot about it - needless to say I was pretty freaked out. But after talking with the professor and the TA and tweaking the assignment a bit, and finding out _exactly_ what they were looking for and the grading criteria so I wouldn't have to stress out over unimportant stuff, I felt a lot better and I was able to finish everything (even though it was still very hard on me)

So I don't really know how easy it is to talk to your professor (maybe send an email?) but it's probably worth it. Just be honest about what you just said here - you have aspergers, it makes it hard for you to write and communicate, and you're really worried about it, etc. Without being too whiny or sounding like you're just trying to get out of work (say you're going to try really hard to do the assignments) a lot of teachers can be very sympathetic and helpful.

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 12:59 pm

Don't be nervous about school just get really crazy and do some jumping jacks.