Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sandbox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2007, 7:18 am

For someone that's strength is Math, what are the good majors in college for someone that might have asperger's?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 8:31 am

physics rocks!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Ben_Cardwell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2007, 9:04 am

Engineering for the win.

Sandbox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2007, 11:22 am

hmm I was never good at physics in HS for some reason but good at math

what about economics?

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2007, 11:46 am

accounting?
philosophy?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 12:28 pm

Computer networking.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 1:05 pm

Uh...math?

The question really doesn't make much sense to me though. Instead of asking random people a vague question about what major would appeal to a generalized group of people with a particular neurological condition, why not just pursue what interests you? Every text on ASD's say that individuals with them have intense, focused interests. Use that to your strengths.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 2:54 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Uh...math?

The question really doesn't make much sense to me though. Instead of asking random people a vague question about what major would appeal to a generalized group of people with a particular neurological condition, why not just pursue what interests you? Every text on ASD's say that individuals with them have intense, focused interests. Use that to your strengths.

HERE HERE! Im tired of everyone asking general questions about aspies. Jesus christ, make up your own mind about yourself...

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

Yeah, I just think it's unnecessarily restrictive. Should I go into a social field like law or business just because I'm an NT?

Sandbox wrote:
what about economics?

I'm taking an economics course as a social science elective, but the major (let alone the class) isn't terribly demanding of math (only requiring one semester of calculus) at the undergraduate level. Most of it is basic algebraic formulas for things like elasticity, and some functions for finding utility maximization from what I've done so far. The tough part is memorizing all the terms, the math is a breeze for anyone with a rudimentary understanding of algebra (though my professor said that economics is calculus based at the graduate level).

I read that one end of economics runs off into theory and philosophy, where the other end is grounded in application and business. I really enjoyed the course in the beginning when it was more theoretical, but I find myself becoming rather bored now that the focus has turned to firms and business (I'm a science major, I'm not supposed to have any business sense :lol:). Of course, if your more business-minded, it would be right up your ally, but I'm curious to why you wouldn't simply major in mathematics if that's your favorite subject. To me pure mathematics seems like it would be more fun, but there's a lot of business opportunities for an applied mathematics major. Engineering or Computer Science would also be a good choices if you wanted to witness your mathematical skills in a real, applied manner and like learning how things work (though applied mathematics and computer science have a significant overlap).

ANGELMOM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2007, 3:57 pm

MY SON NATURALLY WANTED TO GO IN TO ENGINEERING, HE IS AT AN ENGINEERING COLLEGE HERE IN MO. HE JSUT STARTED THIS FALL, SEEMS TO BE DOING PRETTY WELL, HE IS ALSO ADD, SO ORGANIZATION IS DIFFICULT, SO IM TRYING TO HEKP HIM, BUT HE HAS ALWAYS LIKED SCHOOL, THE SOCIALIZATION IS THE HARD PART FOR HIM

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2007, 4:21 pm

Engineering (any flavor) or Computer Science.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2007, 4:37 pm

What about post-graduate studies? The amount of social interaction seems to increase exponentially when going from under-grad to grad student. Is it even possible for an Aspie to get that far in academic endeavors?

ANGELMOM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2007, 5:43 pm

im not sure about that. i dont know any engineers that got masters degrees. the ones i have met, get a bachlors only. my concern is how my son will do in the working world

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 7:16 pm

ANGELMOM wrote:
im not sure about that. i dont know any engineers that got masters degrees. the ones i have met, get a bachlors only. my concern is how my son will do in the working world

No, engineers can get masters and doctoral degrees just like any other field. Often times it is in graduate school that they specialize, with a more general focus (like on mechanical or electrical engineering) during their undergraduate.

Joybob wrote:
What about post-graduate studies? The amount of social interaction seems to increase exponentially when going from under-grad to grad student. Is it even possible for an Aspie to get that far in academic endeavors?

I see no reason why an Aspergian would be any less able to reach graduate school than an NT. There are plenty of Aspergians who proceed to graduate studies.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 7:44 pm

A university professor can do research in a specific area, like Lie algebras, number theory, etc.

Other specializations:
statistical science
actuarial science
meteorology
operations research
pure mathematics

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 12:57 pm

Quote:
MY SON NATURALLY WANTED TO GO IN TO ENGINEERING, HE IS AT AN ENGINEERING COLLEGE HERE IN MO. HE JSUT STARTED THIS FALL, SEEMS TO BE DOING PRETTY WELL, HE IS ALSO ADD, SO ORGANIZATION IS DIFFICULT, SO IM TRYING TO HEKP HIM, BUT HE HAS ALWAYS LIKED SCHOOL, THE SOCIALIZATION IS THE HARD PART FOR HIM

ANGELMOM, after seeing your capitalized post and your capitalized username, I think that I should inform you that modern personal computers can generate lowercase characters. :wink: Assuming you have a modern personal computer, simply depress the "caps lock" key on your keyboard and then you will be able to use the "shift" key to generate capitalized letters whenever it is necessary. (It is not necessary most of the time.) Also, note the availability of punctuation keys on your keyboard. Since you are obviously not using all of the punctuation keys, I am assuming that for some reason these keys are missing or damaged on your keyboard.