Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CaptJacPugwash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 8:29 am

I was studying Economics before I quit. The only course I understood was the math course, but it was also the only course I could concentrate in. The economics courses was just dull I could really not understand it, and there was too much reading involved.

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 11:21 am

gs56ca wrote:
I have to choose a major, between Environmental Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. I have aspie-like features. I know people are like, 'you're an aspie, so what'. But I would like the opinion of some people, regarding which best suits an aspie. I think Environmental CHemistry requires alot of socializing and going out, and Pharamaceutical Chemistry, requires alot of hand coordination .

I was a chemistry major, so I may be able to shed some light on this. First of all, I am surprised that environmental chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry are separate majors (unless you are not in the U.S. - Things could be different in other countries). Or if they are separate, I am surprised that you don't choose that in your junior or senior year.

I am not sure if environmental chemistry involves going out into the wilderness as much as you think it does. A lot of it could just be sitting by some sort of chromatography equipment running samples that other people give you. Hence, if your school has an "Analytical Chemistry" major, it would provide you with similar training.

I agree that pharmaceutical chemistry, as well as synthetic organic and inorganic chemistry require a lot of hand coordination, which is basically the reason I am not in the field any more. These are the kind of issues that NTs do not expect to be a problem, but actually are a problem for us. Hence, if you want to do pharmaceutical/organic chemistry, coordination will be a big factor unless you can find a non-lab job. And most non-lab jobs, such as teaching or sales, require a lot of social skills.

If I were you I'd choose analytical or environmental chemistry, though if you can get out of chemistry altogether, that might be a good idea.

CaptJacPugwash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 11:45 am

I had a job as a Math teacher at a community college in the USA. I was fired after one semester because I said inappropriate things in classes, and had a lot of problems with my students in general. In fact, it got so bad that a bunch of my students all ganged up on me and tried to get me fired. I guess they succeeded. But if I am being honest with myself, I hated the job.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 3:09 am

I'm writing lit.

It's cool.

Plus you get hired by firms with a good PR department.

Me? I'm applying to work for the FBI, yes the Federals.

scary thought.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:25 am

gs56ca wrote:
I have to choose a major, between Environmental Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. I have aspie-like features. I know people are like, 'you're an aspie, so what'. But I would like the opinion of some people, regarding which best suits an aspie. I think Environmental CHemistry requires alot of socializing and going out, and Pharamaceutical Chemistry, requires alot of hand coordination .

What exactly is Pharmaceutical Chemistry? Stuff dealing with making new drugs or stuff dealing with dispensing drugs (like at a pharmacy)? Would drug development require more eye-hand coordination then other applied chemistry areas?

RedTape0651

31 Dec 2007, 2:30 pm

What exactly is Pharmaceutical Chemistry? Stuff dealing with making new drugs or stuff dealing with dispensing drugs (like at a pharmacy)? Would drug development require more eye-hand coordination then other applied chemistry areas?[/quote]

I can't say for sure what was meant by that, but I took it to mean drug development, not being a pharmacist (dispensing drugs). "Drug development" would involve mostly running reactions, as well as purifying and analyzing the products. This involves the same kind of eye-hand type skill as cooking, but it can get quite difficult when you are doing reactions with chemicals that must be kept away from air.

I think a good rule of thumb for deciding whether to study synthetic/pharmaceutical chemistry is the following:
1. Do you like to cook?
2. Can you do well in chemistry class without killing yourself (both general and organic)?

If the answer to both is yes, then you might be a good fit. If the answer to only one is yes, you should consider another major or career.

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 1:49 am

Odin wrote:
gs56ca wrote:

What exactly is Pharmaceutical Chemistry? Stuff dealing with making new drugs or stuff dealing with dispensing drugs (like at a pharmacy)? Would drug development require more eye-hand coordination then other applied chemistry areas?

Pharmaceutical Chemistry is mainly for the Pharmaceutical Industry, so it's not about dispensing drugs. It'sm more about making the drugs.

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 1:52 am

Thankyou for you good advice. I am in Canada. We choose our majors really in our first year. I chose Chemistry, and then you choose your specilizations, for the consecutive years. So, Environmental Chemistry and Pharamaceutical Chemistry are actually specilizations. Sorry. lol.

RedTape0651 wrote:
gs56ca wrote:

I was a chemistry major, so I may be able to shed some light on this. First of all, I am surprised that environmental chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry are separate majors (unless you are not in the U.S. - Things could be different in other countries). Or if they are separate, I am surprised that you don't choose that in your junior or senior year.

I am not sure if environmental chemistry involves going out into the wilderness as much as you think it does. A lot of it could just be sitting by some sort of chromatography equipment running samples that other people give you. Hence, if your school has an "Analytical Chemistry" major, it would provide you with similar training.

I agree that pharmaceutical chemistry, as well as synthetic organic and inorganic chemistry require a lot of hand coordination, which is basically the reason I am not in the field any more. These are the kind of issues that NTs do not expect to be a problem, but actually are a problem for us. Hence, if you want to do pharmaceutical/organic chemistry, coordination will be a big factor unless you can find a non-lab job. And most non-lab jobs, such as teaching or sales, require a lot of social skills.

If I were you I'd choose analytical or environmental chemistry, though if you can get out of chemistry altogether, that might be a good idea.

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 1:54 am

YOu're definitely right. It has to do with drug development, more than dispensing drugs. Thankyou for your advice. Those two questions, I will take into consideration.

I can't say for sure what was meant by that, but I took it to mean drug development, not being a pharmacist (dispensing drugs). "Drug development" would involve mostly running reactions, as well as purifying and analyzing the products. This involves the same kind of eye-hand type skill as cooking, but it can get quite difficult when you are doing reactions with chemicals that must be kept away from air.

I think a good rule of thumb for deciding whether to study synthetic/pharmaceutical chemistry is the following:
1. Do you like to cook?
2. Can you do well in chemistry class without killing yourself (both general and organic)?

If the answer to both is yes, then you might be a good fit. If the answer to only one is yes, you should consider another major or career.[/quote]

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2008, 2:48 pm

simply mathematics, or philosophy, government, pre-law

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2008, 2:51 pm

Science and English study all the way. History too but we don't have much of that really :? Would love to have a period to learn much about WWII.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2011, 9:43 pm

Looking at actuarial science myself. One of the biggest things is having a strong math background.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2011, 9:51 pm

Odin wrote:
Sandbox wrote:
For someone that's strength is Math, what are the good majors in college for someone that might have asperger's?

Computer Science (especially the more theoretical and experimental areas like AI, I'd say, lots of math and logic there).

Physics (Superstrings for teh win!).

This is my major and intended area of study. I want to become a university researcher.