Is Anyone Else Studying like 3+ Hours Per Day Right Now?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 9:57 am

Like, besides me?

I spent 9 hours in the library yesterday. NINE.

My running (but painfully accurate) joke right now is that I spend 2 or 3 hours studying and then take a break by doing some research.

:roll:

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:06 am

I should be but I'm not. 9 hours should be doable, I mean people who work full-time do that every day, but I've convinced myself that learning new concepts and doing research is somehow more mentally exhausting than work where you do things you already know how to do. You've made me feel lazy now. What do you study?

Semi_Lost_Serenity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2008, 11:07 am

Oh, you're not the only one.

I'm a graduate student who's graduating in May.

I spent all of yesterday (about 8 hours) studying THREE chapters. Not a whole book, THREE chapters. By the end of the day, I was so damn tired that I couldn't do anymore - my brain had shut down on me and I was forced to feebily work on one assignment and shove off my other tasks to today (which I am now procrastinating on because, well, I can).

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 1:43 pm

THANK YOU for posting this thread.

My 11 year old finished reading about four pages in his social studies book last night (these are pages WITH photos, so it's maybe only half text), and it took him AN HOUR. I was fine with it, because I know it takes him longer, but he was practically in tears, he was so frustrated that it takes him that long.

I wish I knew some way to speed up the process, for his benefit, but I don't see how it can be done.

Kris

Space
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 2:29 pm

Your a grad student, you're supposed to be wasting your life studying. I'm still in my undergrad. I don't spend anything close to 3hrs/day studying.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 8:01 pm

all day, 7 days a week...... usually. lol

science gradschool ftw!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2008, 8:53 pm

Yeah I can definitely sympathize. Even though I'm not a grad student yet I am taking a grad course this quarter and doing research about 10 hours a week on top of my undergrad stuff. I'm finishing up pretty quickly and I'll probably be in some phd program real soon to make myself a legit grad student (at least one that actually gets paid) :)

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 9:40 pm

I actually topped 9 hours in the library yesterday. Not just because it was Valentine's day but because I had some catch up to do for today because I'd fallen behind by being on WP too much. :roll:

I'm an undergrad, but last semester I had too much free time, so this semester I signed up for the maximum possible course load that they would let me take without an overload fee. I'm averaging about 4 hours a day in the library this semester. Weekends included.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 12:20 am

Hmm 3 hours isnt really that much when studying in college. Of course 9 hours is a lot. I will normally spend around 5 hours a day studying and on days when Im doing nothing but studying possibly 7 hours.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 7:19 am

Thanks. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one in this boat. Sometimes I feel as though my being an aspie requires me to study more than some . . . and in some ways, this is probably true, but I'm just not sure about how far that goes.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 9:37 pm

Oddly enough my sole grad course is the least workload of any of my classes. Obviously it is by far the most difficult in terms of the advanced level of the material but at the same time the difficulty is primarily understanding the material and not working on assignments as such.

Plus, there is no teaching assistant as there usually is for undergrad classes :) so no recitation or discussion section, just the 3 hours lecture per week :)

But otherwise I'm just buried with work right now.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 9:37 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
THANK YOU for posting this thread.

My 11 year old finished reading about four pages in his social studies book last night (these are pages WITH photos, so it's maybe only half text), and it took him AN HOUR. I was fine with it, because I know it takes him longer, but he was practically in tears, he was so frustrated that it takes him that long.

I wish I knew some way to speed up the process, for his benefit, but I don't see how it can be done.

Kris

Social Studies was a name to reshape the value and lessons of history, cataloged major events and people, and gave it a one-sided spin (sometimes known as "universality"). My mind rejected this artificial knowledge, and in fourth grade I made a D on it (teacher was mean and we moved, too). Just look at the material, find his interests and maybe Google some people to find more interesting things (whether or not you want to give "the talk" about why certain things were done is up to you).

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm

No, but ideally I really should be. Ah well. Just one more semester of this mediocrity...

Drakeman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 9:19 am

I've spent 11 hours in the library before... 7 at night to 6 in the morning. I thought I had a project due in the middle of October, but instead it was due in the middle of September. I finished it in one night and got an A-.

Mr_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:
I finished it in one night and got an A-.

I try my hardest not to do projects last minute --though given the fact that I'm in HS and forced to do loads of pointless busywork, it gets difficult. However, when you finish a project in one night and get an A, while knowing others worked for weeks and got B's or lower -- it's definitely a fun thing to laugh at. Announcing it to others though might give you some nasty looks...

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 6:08 am

I enjoy my study. I study the topic that is my favourite apart from my obsession. So I don't find anything untowards about spending all day "studying." As long as I can read the latest anthropology journal article when I am done I am happy.