Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

Not too much of a surprise. I applied early and got deferred before being rejected. MIT wasn't my first choice, but it still would have been nice to be accepted just to say I got into MIT.

Oh well. There are other colleges I can go to, so it's not a big deal.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

GPA?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 9:25 pm

What other colleges do you want to get into?

Keep your hopes up, I'm sure you'll get accepted into a school you like better.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 9:59 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
GPA?

Currently, 4.48, but it was at 4.36 when my app was sent in. SAT at 2390, which is well above MIT's averages. Numerical measures become less important at this kind of school because everyone's numbers are good enough. I'm not quite sure what their decision is based on, but it can't have helped that I chose not to interview with them.

ebec11 wrote:

Thanks, I actually already have gotten into a couple schools I like better (U of Miami and Rochester Institute of Technology); even though they have less prestige and name recognition, they are better for the microbiology I want to study.
I've applied to a bunch of places, I'm hoping to at least get into Brown, as that's the only big-name/Ivy school I'm really still interested in.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:11 pm

Orwell wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:
GPA?

Currently, 4.48, but it was at 4.36 when my app was sent in. SAT at 2390, which is well above MIT's averages. Numerical measures become less important at this kind of school because everyone's numbers are good enough. I'm not quite sure what their decision is based on, but it can't have helped that I chose not to interview with them.

ebec11 wrote:

Thanks, I actually already have gotten into a couple schools I like better (U of Miami and Rochester Institute of Technology); even though they have less prestige and name recognition, they are better for the microbiology I want to study.
I've applied to a bunch of places, I'm hoping to at least get into Brown, as that's the only big-name/Ivy school I'm really still interested in.

Just go to a community college and transfer :?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:
GPA?

ebec11 wrote:

I'm sure that it won't matter too much what school you go to as long as you learn something while you're there.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:25 pm

Kalister1 wrote:

I don't think MIT takes community college transfers. Besides, there are several 4-year universities I've already gotten into that I prefer over MIT, so why would I bother? May as well just go to U Miami; I'll get a great education, be around nice people, and have warmth and sunshine all year round.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm

Orwell wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

I don't think MIT takes community college transfers. Besides, there are several 4-year universities I've already gotten into that I prefer over MIT, so why would I bother? May as well just go to U Miami; I'll get a great education, be around nice people, and have warmth and sunshine all year round.
I wish I could have sunshine all year round :(:(:( (Looks outside at the 10 feet of snow)

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:43 pm

Your grades and SAT scores are outstanding, but since the other applicants are outstanding as well, I guess it's basically a crapshoot for the limited number of openings.

I wouldn't worry about it. With credentials like yours you'll be getting a great education no matter where you eventually end up. :wink:

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 7:13 am

i wanted to go to miami for their marine program! looks like a pretty sweet school! i hope you get in.

i took another (better-paying) school opportunity than miami and am very happy with the random turn of events... cause as i love marine biology and it's been an interest all my life... but that turn of events introduced me to AS and neuroscience!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2008, 8:19 pm

I assure you being turned down by MIT puts you in very, very good company :)

With your stats you should be able to get in some excellent places and maybe some merit scholarships. Wherever you go you'll must likely be a success.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2008, 8:39 pm

Go somewhere else, with those numbers a lot of places may give you a full ride or close to it. I've heard Miami is a pretty good school.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have gotten into Miami, and I also got full tuition there, so it's definitely looking like a very appealing option right now. This next week I'm visiting about four different universities, one of which is willing to actually pay me to attend (they put more emphasis on National Merit Scholars than they should).

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2008, 10:07 pm

Congrats on the full tuition!! !

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 1:09 am

Orwell wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:
GPA?

ebec11 wrote:

I'm wondering myself what criteria is involved. Extracurricular activities? *sigh*

Congrats on Miami. Anyways, what's your major?

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 2:57 pm

I have a friend who applied for MIT, but then withdrew his application after he was accepted into Cornell (he signed a contract saying that if accepted, he would go there). I guess he could have left his application in to see if he got accepted, but he didn't want to mess up there paperwork.

As for me, I'm just going to a local tech school with abnormally low tuition costs (lowest in the state) for a 2-year degree. My grades have always been good, but never good enough to seriously consider applying for the Ivy league or anything similar. My friend who is going to an Ivy Leage college is likely ranked number 1 in the class and was recently voted "most likely to succeed" AND "most likely to be famous" to put things into perspective.