Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:44 pm

Are there any other aspies in the medical field? I want to be a physician and people look at me like I'm absolutely nuts. I don't know if it's because I'm an aspie, have kids, or am female. Is it possible for us to succeed in this field? If not, I'd rather not waste my time and money...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:48 pm

Hey, if it's your Aspie obsession, there's not reason why you couldn't be a kick-ass doctor. I'm in pre-med myself.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 3:39 am

chamoisee wrote:
Are there any other aspies in the medical field? I want to be a physician and people look at me like I'm absolutely nuts. I don't know if it's because I'm an aspie, have kids, or am female. Is it possible for us to succeed in this field? If not, I'd rather not waste my time and money...

Of course you can, and you should! If you have the requisite academic qualifications then proceed. I'm not in the medical field but the sciences. That you are an Aspie can be an asset to you in terms of science (check out my video, link below). I think you'd be a great doctor.

If I ever get sick I'd make an appointment with you - good luck, chamoisee!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:16 am

From what I've read about Asperger's syndrome from my NT standpoint, it would seem that the calm and logical behavior common to those with AS would be a perfect match for the field of medicine.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2008, 11:03 am

Well, maybe people think it's weird because you're already 37? It takes about 10 years in University to become a physician. That's a huge investment of time and money, and by the time you're qualified to practice, you may be less than 10 years from retirement (that's if you have the 'Freedom 55' ideal). Although some physician's continue to practice part time even well into their 60s and 70s.

If you don't plan on practicing for a long time, then I don't think it would be worth the effort to be honest.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

That's a little pessimistic, Katie. Chamoisee is 37, and [I believe] holds a bachelor's degree, so that would be another four years for medical school, and another three for the residency (but this can vary depending on one's specialty).

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 2:44 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:
Well, maybe people think it's weird because you're already 37? It takes about 10 years in University to become a physician. That's a huge investment of time and money, and by the time you're qualified to practice, you may be less than 10 years from retirement (that's if you have the 'Freedom 55' ideal). Although some physician's continue to practice part time even well into their 60s and 70s.

If you don't plan on practicing for a long time, then I don't think it would be worth the effort to be honest.

I'm actually 36, and partway through attaining my B.S. degree. But, there are students who don't start pursuing their medical degree until they're in their 40's- from the beginning. It isn't the norm, but it's becoming more common. I plan to work as long as I possibly can...I like to work. Retiring seems like waiting to die.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 3:00 pm

Don't worry about the age issue, I've spoken to med school admissions officers who say they prefer older applicants anyways.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 6:49 pm

I'm trying to pursue a career somewhere in medicine or healthcare. The only pre-med prerequisite that I need to complete is Physics 2 from college. I'm also struggling to find some job and research opportunities.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2008, 6:47 am

Just finished my first of 12 semesters in Norway/Hungary. :D
Going for medschool in Hungary, that is Pécs Medical School.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:56 am

This is encouraging. :)

What type of medicine do you want to pursue?

I was thinking pathology or surgery. I don't think I would like family practice.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2008, 2:41 am

chamoisee wrote:
This is encouraging. :)

What type of medicine do you want to pursue?

I was thinking pathology or surgery. I don't think I would like family practice.

Just a warning: I've heard that most hospitals retire surgeons from actual practice once they hit 50-55. I mean, they won't lay you off but rather they just put you in a more administrative role. And perhaps I'm just being pessimistic here, but I'd think that hospitals are going to select a younger surgery applicant over an older one for the simple fact that they don't want a new surgeon to age out after just a few years, and they really can't put you in one of those higher-up positions if you don't have the necessary years of experience.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 8:32 pm

Hardy Hendren is in his seventies at least, I think....

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 12:09 am

I'm going to be a zoological medicine specelist veternarian. I assume you meant human medicine. People don't think I will be able too even get through college because I had such a difficult time in math during elementry school. And I don't get along with people too well. But I can memorise practicaly every animal fact there is to know. My amazing memory will come in handy as a vet. I like animals but hate people. To other people working with me I suspect I wil l become the House M.D. version of a vet.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2008, 12:12 am

Like I said, it's just what I've heard from my pre-med friends. I don't know how true it is, I'm just saying it's a possibility you should be aware of when picking which field you want to go into.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 12:10 pm

ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:
Like I said, it's just what I've heard from my pre-med friends. I don't know how true it is, I'm just saying it's a possibility you should be aware of when picking which field you want to go into.

It might have some truth to it. However, asking a person's age during an interview is not legal, and I look younger than I am....I still get carded. :lol: